Skip to content

BG2:EE Better continuity with BG1

This might not be something that possible but what i'd love to see in BG2:EE is the game not automatically assume you traveled with Kalid, Jaheria and Minsc etc. Sure they can be the default but if i went through BG:EE with Neera and Dorn let them be the captives that i break out of Casa Iranicus with. I know for story reasons that wouldnt work with everything. But i dont see why it couldnt work with the new EE NPCs.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    This sort of thing has been requested before, and I believe the answer was that Overhaul doesn't have the right to change the beginning of BG2 regarding the "canon" party.

That said, perhaps they can add in the new NPCs in addition to Jaheira and Minsc. Dorn could spice up the prologue adventure a bit with a minor quest to find Rancor hidden somewhere in the dungeon, for example.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Madhax said:

This sort of thing has been requested before, and I believe the answer was that Overhaul doesn't have the right to change the beginning of BG2 regarding the "canon" party.

Which is, as all the 'Don't change anything rules' are, friggin stupid.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    In fairness, the sheer number of BG1 NPCs would make this a very significant programming exercise.

I would like to see the continuity at least reflected in the spell books, classes and statistics (tomes) for the characters you bring over.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573
    I think this is generally speaking... a bad idea. Imoen obviously has to be there. Having Minsc, Jaheira, and in a way Khalid and Dynaheir helps add to the main plot. As well as kind of forcing you to take Yoshimo.

Also you can't have Viconia in the dungeon.

Even if I wasn't against this idea, it's just not worth the sheer amount of effort required. The new NPCS will be there. The old BG1 npcs were dumped for a reason.

Lastly, I think NOT forcing Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad to be there is going to be far more interesting. You're going to have to find them... and that gives the developers all sorts of creative possibilities.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    When I first played BG1, my orginal party was the canon BG2 party. So when I loaded up BG2 years later (didn't have BG1 installed either) and saw my party locked up, I dropped my jaw and thought BG2 could read my mind...
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,193
    edited February 2013
    I think that the most viable option which was discussed on this subject, was creating a short story prior the capture (perhaps something like a tutorial gameplay), explaining how charname ended up with those NPCs instead of his original party. I kinda like this solution...
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Pecca said:

I think that the most viable option which was discussed on this subject, was creating a short story prior the capture (perhaps something like a tutorial gameplay), explaining how charname ended up with those NPCs instead of his original party. I kinda like this solution...

I like this idea. It would be like an expanded version of BGT's approach.

I was going to enter this game and say the request was unreasonable, but either this or just incorporating the new NPCs seems possible if the team wants to try.