Skip to content

Should there be a large expansion to the number of class' kits?

RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
edited February 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
This has been brought up a lot recently, but I would like to see a large expansion of the different class' kits. I will provide some ideas as time progresses but here's a few thoughts:

Defensive Master (Fighter)
Advantages:
-Gains -1 to AC and +1 to all savings throws starting at level 5 and continues to gain the same bonuses every 5 levels thereafter.
-Immunity to charm at level 6.
-Immunity to hold at level 10.
-Immunity to fear at level 16.

Disadvantages:
-Cannot use ranged weapons.
-May only place 2 slots into weapon proficiencies. Stays with current allowance for styles.

This would make for more of a tank character that you wouldn't worry as much about getting the unlucky "Hey, I'm fully healed at 150 hp *4 creatures get lucky hits in* damn, my character blew up...". True, their not doing much damage, but that's for your archers, casters, and backstabbers to do anyways, right?

Clerics have already been brought up in different threads but here's one that I completely agree with:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2868/more-cleric-kits#latest

Stormcaller (Druid)
Advantages:
-The basic idea, is they're going to be completely offensive casting things like Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt, Insect Swarm, Call Lightning, etc. and get to cast these spells more often.
-Also, they will have all of the arcane spells like Dispel Magic, Pierce Magic, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Pierce Shield, Lower Resistance and Spellstrike.

Disadvantages:
-No summoning spells.
-No shapeshifting.

Yes, it might seem like you should go just go with a mage at this point, but honestly I mainly just use my mages to take off other mage's defenses, identify items, and cast fireballs and lightning. (Improved alacrity+Robe of Vecna+4 Dragon's Breath casts for TOB). The basic idea is to have someone that can rip down a mage's magical defenses then burn them down with magic. I'm not for sure about the balance of spells gained over levels of how this would play out but it would definitely need testing and tweaking to make sure it had a little more damage then a mage. But not overly powerful. It would definitely be TOB domination is why I believe in testing this before implementation because of the constant use of magic defenses from your weapons and spells.

Mages I think should have an additional 4 elemental kits (like the ones in Watcher's Keep; Fire, Ice, Acid, Air) that would let them use powerful spells for each element but not allow them to use spells from the other elements. This would allow them to still use normal arcane spells as well.

Shadow Archer (Thief)
Advantages:
-May place 4 slots into sling, crossbow, and shortbow.
-Allows the thief to use styles for ranged attacks. Two-Handed style (crossbows/shortbows), single-weapon style (slings), and sword and shield style (sling+buckler).

Disadvantages:
-May not wear studded leather armor or greater. (Magic standard leather armor is still allowed.)
-May not specialize in any melee weapon.

Seriously, the thieves don't get jack squat for ranged combat. They are squishy melee's or ranged pokers (and I mean me poking you with my finger, not jabbing a arrow in your side) whose main purpose is just to pick your locks and disarm your traps. In combat they're terrible. This kit would not make them as powerful in ranged as an Archer (Ranger kit) but still have a decent effect and still do their unlocking/disarming.

Herald (Bard)
Advantages:
-Has Skald's song but can play it while attacking.

Disadvantages:
-Cannot use spells.
-Cannot pickpocket.

All that a bard is used for is crappy fighting or the buff. Why can't they do both? It really just seems like an underpowered class to me except for the Blade kit.

Like the clerics, monks should have different abilities depending on their alignment/diety.

Celtic Barbarian (Barbarian)
Advantages:
-May place 3 slots into Halberd, Two-Handed Sword, Spear, and Quarterstaff weapon proficincies.

Disadvantages:
-May only place 2 slots into Two-Weapon style.

The idea of this is that barbarians are centered around Two-Weapon style when I'd like to play a Two-Handed style raging barbarian that will do some damage. And there ARE Celtic gods in D&D I will provide evidence from an official v1.5 Gods & Deities manual if need be!

P.S. The new blackguard kit... I was not impressed at all...
  1. Should there be a large expansion to the number of class' kits?9 votes
    1. Yes, I would like to see there be many new class kits.
      66.67%
    2. Maybe, each would have to undergo alpha and beta testing.
      22.22%
    3. No, I think the number of kits is fine where it's at.
      11.11%

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Adding too many kits to the game just confuses things for the average user, and in my mind doesn't really improve the game at all. To many of the kits are very poorly balanced as well.

I think it's better to leave most of the extra class kits as being via mods if people want to add them.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Remenissions I am gonna close this thread. Vague polls are unnecessary when there are plenty of discussions around the forum for new kits already. Since we cannot see the poll results without voting, the attraction it might get is lost to any developer who might view it. And we won't vote because that might be considered an endorsement or rejection of the content.

You have some good kit ideas, but I would suggest that you create a new thread with your information in either the Modding or Feature Requests forums and discuss your kit ideas. Threads get read, you don't need a poll.
This discussion has been closed.