Skip to content

GameRanger

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
edited February 2013 in Multiplayer
So here's another topic of mine about trying to start a Multiplayer LAN session with my friends. I've been reading around on the forums here and noticed people playing online with one another using a software called GameRanger. I've been looking around on their site and noticed that it seems to be alot more user freindly with getting old games, that had the 'old-style' of LAN, working properly. My questions are...:

1. I don't see BG:EE supported on GameRanger's site. I see Baldur's Gate (1&2:ToB) so does that mean BG:EE will work?
2. Do I still have to use like port-forwarding on my router, computer, friends' computers, their routers, etc. etc?
3. Does it work with wireless LAN?
4. Can we play with LAN and/or online? Which is easier?
5. Can someone link (or post for bonus experience) a video on YouTube about getting BG:EE to work?
6. Will firewalls block us?
7. How do you open ports for BG:EE on Windows?

If I think of anymore I'll add them in. If it helps any, my two other friends are using Windows, wireless laptops, we can all be in the same room too to play, and we don't have cross-over cables to connect physically with one another.

Comments

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    game ranger does not support BG:EE I even tried to trick the software, gameranger amazing for LAN its basically hamachi but easier and better. I bought BG:EE to be able to play a better updated Baldurs gate with my friends turns out to play smooth online I have to play the original game via game ranger, ironic. especially when you read the promises Beamdog made about multiplayer being supported.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    I've been playing Icewind Dale using Gameranger and it's pretty great. As far as I know it does not support BG:EE. I'll answer your questions regarding games it does support though.

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes, but it is an Internet service.
    4. Well, connecting over your LAN will probably be faster than going all the way over the Internet and back.
    5. Different people have different problems, if you describe your problem I (or someone) might be able to help you.
    6. On Gameranger? I don't think so. Otherwise? Maybe, depending on your settings.
    7. You have to go to your router's setup. Different routers are different, but you can probably do this by opening your browser (like the one you're using now) and in the URL bar typing in 192.168.1.1. Then you'll need your router login information, which you'll have to google for or call your router provider about, I don't know it.

You should be able to just have one person host in your room and then the other two of you type in his local IP address. I don't recommend using Hamachi or other suggestions you'll find on here, it'll mostly just cause poorer performance.

Good luck.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Sadly, I got the game working over Hamachi. I know it's not as nice as gameranger, but I have no choice until they support it. Thanks for your help and replying though.
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    @Stargazer5781 Hey just curious, are you using the original version of IWD (PC or Mac) or GoG's version? I have both the GoG version running through crossover currently but I also own the original Mac version as well, both of which seem to prevent me from playing with my PC friend unfortunately.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    @Korevas17 Original PC version
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Korevas17 interesting you should mention IWD1, seeing as I was playing it over LAN fairly recently. I seem to recall that getting the multiplayer to work was completely outlandish -but I did manage it.

If you tell me what your problem was, I may be able to help.