Skip to content

mace for a pure cleric ?

Is it a good choice ? A dude in plate using a sling just look weird to me.

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I usually go with the "dude in plate using a sling!"

But Mace is an excellent choice, and probably the most traditional from a PNP perspective. Based on available weapons in the game, Mace, Hammer and Quarter Staff are all good choices for a cleric. Flail is probably best for BG2.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    edited February 2013
    There is an excellent mace early in Bergerost in the:
    SPOILER
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;;
    ;
    Wizard Inn upstairs in a chest
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Morningstar/ Flail is better then mace in my opion.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Frosty

In BG1, maces and hammers are the clear winner in terms of enchanted ones you can find. In BG2, flails are fantastic... but a single-class priest caps out at 1 pip in weapon proficiencies anyway, so by the time the good items are available in BG2, you'll almost certainly have the requisite proficiency.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Definitely. It is a good choice.
    Storm Star, Mace of Disruption, Stupifier
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Mace is a great choice to start. With a pure class Cleric you can't put more than one pip into a weapon or fighting style. So you'll have two more pips to allocate into other weapons or fighting styles at level 4 and level 7, I believe it is. Flail/Morning Star and War Hammer are good choices to follow.

One option I'm planning on trying out eventually is dual-wielding with a Cleric of Lathander kit to see how that build actually works out. With both hands filled you get 2 attacks per round with one pip on Two-Weapon Style and Boon of Lathander grants 1 extra attack per round. So that's three attacks per round, at least once per day--altthough for only 1 round/level--and otherwise 2 APR. The to-hit penalties for dual-wielding with only on pip in dual-wielding are really stiff: -2 to the main hand and -6 to the offhand. But still, with + 2 THAC0 weapons you might come close to delivering as much damage as with Sword and Shield style. Perhaps not, but I'm curious to see.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @lemernis

i ran a CoL and he was an amazing tank. hammers and slings at lvl 1. dual wielding next then flails (for BG2:EE) last.

thac0 penalties can be slightly mitigated with 4th level spell "Holy Power" giving the Cleric the thac0 of an equal level fighter and an extra hp per level. BoL also stacks with haste for 4 APR! but i'm really looking forward to using him in bg2:ee where BoL stacks with itself for easy 10apr by the end of SoA (dual wield + BoLx3 + Improved haste)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    As you say, @Lemernis, the THAC0 penalties for dual-wielding with only one pip are seriously stiff. I've never tried it with only one pip, because it's always looked to me to be futile to dual-wield unless you can invest more pips into the style and stand more chance of actually hitting the enemy. I'm surprised that you found it effective, @mjs, that's interesting, so maybe I've over-estimated the drawbacks. If you try your plan, @Lemernis, let us know how it works out.
  • haniatri72haniatri72 Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2015
    Yes, for a cleric either war hammer or mace with a sling for ranged damage (btw does anyone know where to get a good sling in bg1) is a good choice. If you kill bassilius you get a war hammer +2 (correct me if I'm wrong) that also does electric damage and it's very good for a cleric.