Skip to content

If you could pick one spell from BG and cast it once per day, what would it be?

Comments

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    @Lapa I see. I didn't read Chows post. My wisdom is not very high but there is no risk when duplicating spells. I won't try anything beyond that until I get more wise.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited February 2013
    Djimmy said:

@Lapa I see. I didn't read Chows post. My wisdom is not very high but there is no risk when duplicating spells. I won't try anything beyond that until I get more wise.

I'm not sure this meets the criteria for a "spell from BG" since you can't do this with the Wish spell in BG. Wish is much more limited in BG than in PnP. If the PnP version is available, I don't think anyone can disagree with you unless they think they would be too tempted to avoid using it for other purposes.

Post edited by AHF on
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66

Kamehouse said:

whish

Do you think your own Wisdom is high enough not for this to all end badly?
    Well, it may not seem very wise, but i think so. ;-p

I like this spell because of it's many different possibilities.

I don't know my stats as I don't know the exact requirements for every possible option. I don't consider to have 18 wisdom, but it's not that low to be a total disaster. At the end, it's usefulness and danger will depend on if wish would work exactly as in BG, or if you would really have a free wish. You could take time to prepare for it. If it would be exactly as in BG, I'd consider something else. (Did anyone see the film whismaster?)

My second (or third) option would be time stop. You could do many things in 18 seconds. Well, it will not be a life saver in a dangerous situation because of it's casting time. But I'd love to be able to stop time.

Another idea would be to summon Planetar or Deva (, or Call Woodland Beings). It's various spells could be extremely useful in many situations. You don't get potions or wands as possibly by wish, but It's healing abilities are great. Why to stick to one type of healing? I don't think I would use it as a fighter...

Evil in mind domination, (improved) invisibility, (dire) charm, knock and anything like that could be an idea. Well controlling a person doing the "job" for you seems better than knock or invisibility, but considering the saves...

And what about abilities like death ward, or alchemy?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Kamehouse said:

Another idea would be to summon Planetar or Deva (, or Call Woodland Beings). It's various spells could be extremely useful in many situations. ...

?

I think they meant "in real life" , besides ,Powerful extraplanars would be really pissed if you summoned them without good reason.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Improved Haste would be nice, so I can sleep in and not miss the train in the morning. I'm a product of my own laziness =p
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    One spell that would be more useful in real life than in-game would be know alignment. Sometimes I really wonder...

However, Greater Restoration would do wonders for the psychiatric ward were I work (and the great column of light would fit right in with everyday life of some of the patients).

Edit: Stupid Norwegian auto correct.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Greater Restoration/Heal are good spells to have in my first aid kit.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    When talking about healing spells, you know what I'd rather have than some huge single-use heal spell? Goodberry.

It's a useless spell in BG1, but considering most people are commoners with no more than 4 hit points each, a whole bunch of berries each healing one point would actually be pretty effective. Even the most grievous injuries could be healed with just three, and unlike with Heal, some would be left over.
    edited March 2013
    DJKajuru said:

Kamehouse said:

Another idea would be to summon Planetar or Deva (, or Call Woodland Beings). It's various spells could be extremely useful in many situations. ...

?

I think they meant "in real life" , besides ,Powerful extraplanars would be really pissed if you summoned them without good reason.
    What do you mean by "meant in real life"?

Btw, I don't mind if I piss of a powerful extraplanar... especially if I need it's healing and it has to follow my will. (Well I think saving my life would be the best possible reason form my point of view...)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Invisibility. My pervy senses are tingling.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Cure Disease would be very useful as one gets older, assumng it would cure cancer and perhaps even heart disease
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Resurrection
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    ajwz said:

Resurrection

Though you wouldn't be able to cast this on yourself...

ajwz said:

Resurrection

Though you wouldn't be able to cast this on yourself...
    ;-p
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @ajwz
    Enjoy having wars fought over your skills and being kidnapped and forced to fly back and forth across the world every day to resurrect the highest bidders.
    Madhax said:

@ajwz
    Enjoy having wars fought over your skills and being kidnapped and forced to fly back and forth across the world every day to resurrect the highest bidders.

The only wars being fought over my skills will be fought by the UN led coalition against my army of re-animated mammoths.

You make the fatal assumption that I would be benevolent with my new found powers
    ajwz said:

Madhax said:

@ajwz

The only wars being fought over my skills will be fought by the UN led coalition against my army of re-animated mammoths.

You make the fatal assumption that I would be benevolent with my new found powers
    Did you cheat this system and also get "Charm Animal" once per day, too?

Even assuming everlasting loyalty of everyone and everything you resurrect, it would take years to amass anything remotely threatening to the powers that would be provoked by the discovery of your power.
    Madhax said:

ajwz said:

Madhax said:

@ajwz

Did you cheat this system and also get "Charm Animal" once per day, too?

Even assuming everlasting loyalty of everyone and everything you resurrect, it would take years to amass anything remotely threatening to the powers that would be provoked by the discovery of your power.
    Not many if they were ridden into battle by GENGHIS KHAN
    You can't resurrect anything that's been dead for more than ten years per level. So you'd have to be pretty high-level to be able to resurrect Genghis Khan, let alone mammoths.

Also you age three years each time you cast the spell.
    Chow said:

You can't resurrect anything that's been dead for more than ten years per level. So you'd have to be pretty high-level to be able to resurrect Genghis Khan, let alone mammoths.

BG is not pnp.

Somehow I don't think you are taking this very seriously :(
    ajwz said:

Chow said:

BG is not pnp.

Says the guy who thinks Genghis Khan will follow his commands =P
    Madhax said:

ajwz said:

Chow said:

BG is not pnp.

Says the guy who thinks Genghis Khan will follow his commands =P
    He'd better damn well follow my commands if he wants his horse back!
    ajwz said:

Chow said:

BG is not pnp.

BG also has absolutely no system on how long someone can have been dead while still being viable for resurrection - obviously the game won't let you wait for decades - and likewise it has nothing for lifespan or such matters. You'll need to answer these questions from something, and the tabletop rules provide just nicely.
    Well, you can't resurrect someone cut into strips or decayed if I remember correctly (never need to resurrect someone in BG).
    You can't: if the character is gibbed, their portrait is removed and there's no way left to resurrect them.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    There are a lot of people you can't resurrect in BG. Think about someone people like the knights that you off in BG2 (won't spoil the plot on this). What would you do if you could? Simply resurrect them. Problem solved. But can you? No. They aren't in your party. You can count the number of people that you can resurrect outside your party in the whole BG saga on one hand.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Goodberry is clearly the best answer.

1) As previously mentioned, almost everyone in the world is a level 1 Commoner with 1 hit dice, 2-4hp, 9 stats as per 2nd ed. rules. The most you could reasonably expect to achieve is level 3, where most modern RPGs start you. That includes the 18/00 UFC fighters and the 19 Intelligence gnomes that work at the LHC. Thus one goodberry spell can be up to 5x more effective than Heal which can only be used on one target

2) (Mass)Raise Dead and Ressurection under 2nd ed. rules have some conditions. Not only does it reduce his/her constitution by 1 permanently, but you can only target someone who has been dead for less than 1 day/level and they must make a roll vs. ressurrection chance. A commoner with a 9 con would have less than a 50% chance of actually coming back, and you could only help people who have died within 1 days travel time.

3) Goodberries don't expire until used, making them the single best 1/day spell option available. You could always conjure 5 at the end of a day and put them away for safe keeping. You'd have 1825 by the end of the year. I don't care much for being a golden goose so I'd have to be descreet about administering them to the needy. Someone else might be willing to sell these magic cure-all's for hundreds of thousands of dollars each, that filthy capitalist pig.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2013

Luck
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Well, since I work in the Fire department... Protection from Fire naturally. Strength of One would also be very useful though, as would many other things. Ah the possibilities!
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I would pick "Sleep" and put an end to my insomnia forever! =(