Skip to content

What size is an Area

LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
Hi,

What is the max dimensions, in pixels, of an area? I mean, for example, the artwork that makes up one of the many outdoor areas?

Thanks

Comments

• CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    @Ligg .. don't quote me this for truth, but I read it on another forum;

The standard outdoor area in BG1 is 5120x3840. The game divides this into tiles measuring 64x64 pixels so that would be 80x60 tiles for the outdoor area. I think this is the max game size.

I am working on some areas and I an unable to get 80x60 to work in BG:EE as of yet, so "ymmv".

Hope it's helpful.
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    edited February 2013
    Most helpful, thanks. Please me keep updated with your efforts. I'm not at that stage yet, but I'd be interested in knowing any pitfalls etc.

I'm guessing all areas have to be a multiple of a 64x64 tile.
    Post edited by Ligg on
  • horredtheplaguehorredtheplague Member, Developer Posts: 186
    edited February 2013
    Actually, the new PVRCT format, .pvrz, uses chunks of 1024 x 1024 pixels that can be packed rather oddly, and the tileset (TIS) files are done some other odd way with very little data/very small filesize. DLTCEP seems able to break it down into 64x64 tiles, however--so there's a connection on some end or other.

Also, there's some even odder naming convention for these .pvrz that screams hardcoding and limitations, but I have yet to determine if there's a nomenclature file to help with this. All attempts to make a working in-game custom BGEE area by yours truly have ended in game freeze. Note that all these attempts worked w/o a hitch in BG2 minus the pvrz files--so much for making things easier on us modders.

It would be really nice if Beamdog could drop the modders a bone or two on these; the Batman decoder ring is failing to decipher the new system.