Skip to content

A Witcher-like character

Hello ladies and gents. I'm a big fan of the Witcher stories, novels, and games. I think the author and the game developers do a great job of not only storytelling, but of the lore of witchers themselves.

Those of you that are familiar with the witcher, what are your thoughts on a class/kit that resembles a witcher's skillset? For example, one that jumps to mind for me is the Blade. The blade has combat prowess, can cast arcane spells but not as much as a pure mage, and is very adaptable.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    A Fighter/Mage is powerful, but Blade's fine.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Hmmmm, I honestly can't think of a better one than a two-handed sword wielding Blade either.

Geralt does kind of fit in somewhere between a Blade and a Fighter/Mage, so either would be good.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    My vote is for Blade too :)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2013
    Blade or Stalker. The Witcher is a hunter of beasts with some spellcasting but relying mostly on weapons.

Fighter/Mage could work too, especially with the Elven Chain. Remember, the Witcher wears light armor, has two big swords and a few minor ones. Using his spells for support not to stop time. ;)

Blade comes really close, I think.
    Have a greatsword and a longsword and single weapon style or whatever you want.
    Chromatic Orb etc for Aard.
    Fireball/Burning Hands/Flame Arrow is Igni
    Skulltraps is Yrden.
    Mage Armor/Mirror Image is Quen.
    Charm/Dominate is Axii.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Mix Kensai and very low-level mage (althought its still imperfect). Why?

1. Kensais are very fast and deadly. They posses incredible Thac0 and damage bonuses. They are also apparently trained to fight "without any unecessary weight". Witchers were stated to fight relling on their speed, superhuman reflexes and exellent swordsmanship. They were not wearing any heavy armor that would restrict their movements. However, Kensais are lacking in defense in comparison to the Witchers. But then again, D&D rules aren't exactly flaweless.

2. The Witchers could use Signs, which were working much like spells, thought they were lacking in power in comparison to wizards' spellcasting. Wizards were not impressed by Signs, since they appeared like a little tricks to them. Hence Witchers, IMO, should posses spellcasting abillities of low-level wizards.

3. I think mages/wizards/etc. have some knowledge regarding alchemy, unnatural monsters/beasts and so on. Witchers were possesing that knowledge too for obvious reasons.

That's my opinion, thought. Basically, mage dualed to Kensai (no othert way around!) at low level, even thought it's still imperfect.
  • Key_StrokesKey_Strokes Member Posts: 36
    I'll second Blade or Stalker as being the most appropriate fit, and the more I think about it the more I lean towards the latter.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181
    Stalker would do, but instead of all spells he eventually has, he should have but several propriate mage spells. And grand mastery in swords. That wouldn't be much difficult to mod, when I think about it. I wonder if there is something like that out there already... He would be reaaaly powerful though.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited February 2013
    Moving cment to OT
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    Class-wise, I think of a Ranger, especially 3E flavour (picking multiple racial enemies) . Still, properly implemented Witcher should be both a race and a class.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Key_StrokesKey_Strokes Member Posts: 36
    Bhaaldog said:

Could be something similar to a Undead Hunter.

Good call! I'd add Undead Hunter as a third Witcher-esque class to my list.

• chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208

Bhaaldog said:

I think Stalker fits much more than Undead Hunter. Especially if you choose to bring the base class into the equation. Witchers as paladins does not seem to fit.

The stalker is actually really great. I guess the only down side to it is the spell arsenal just isn't very large and the class takes quite some time to get them.

Thanks for the discussion guys. For me, I think it comes down to a Blade or a Stalker. With the Blade still coming out a BIT on top because of the wider range of spells. It would just be nice if the blade (outside of offensive spin) was a bit better in combat and, on the same token, had a bit less powerful spells later on. Which, of course, you can always roleplay and simply not add them.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669

Bhaaldog said:

I think Stalker fits much more than Undead Hunter. Especially if you choose to bring the base class into the equation. Witchers as paladins does not seem to fit.

The stalker is actually really great. I guess the only down side to it is the spell arsenal just isn't very large and the class takes quite some time to get them.

Thanks for the discussion guys. For me, I think it comes down to a Blade or a Stalker. With the Blade still coming out a BIT on top because of the wider range of spells. It would just be nice if the blade (outside of offensive spin) was a bit better in combat and, on the same token, had a bit less powerful spells later on. Which, of course, you can always roleplay and simply not add them.
    @chickenhed

Why not Elven Fighter/Mage/Thief? Single Weapon Weapon Style using Longswords and Longbows...and possibly branching out into Daggers or Scimitars in BG2?

The first Witcher game to me was way more about using one weapon style over another and running around as fast as possible to do it. You get the Thief skills which can easily be fine tuned to suit a Witcher-Like experience, and you get magic...but you'll never quite be a time-stopping Kensai / Mage, progression will be slower, but you'll gain AC from single weapon style and you'll be able to swap without going into your inventory.

The racial benefits of being an elf will help a lot to fit the mold...importing Gerard art should be easy...and if you pick spells that fit the role playing element you're good. You have all the basic skills covered.
    Debaser said:

@chickenhed

Why not Elven Fighter/Mage/Thief? Single Weapon Weapon Style using Longswords and Longbows...and possibly branching out into Daggers or Scimitars in BG2?

The first Witcher game to me was way more about using one weapon style over another and running around as fast as possible to do it. You get the Thief skills which can easily be fine tuned to suit a Witcher-Like experience, and you get magic...but you'll never quite be a time-stopping Kensai / Mage, progression will be slower, but you'll gain AC from single weapon style and you'll be able to swap without going into your inventory.

The racial benefits of being an elf will help a lot to fit the mold...importing Gerard art should be easy...and if you pick spells that fit the role playing element you're good. You have all the basic skills covered.

That.... That is an outstanding idea.
    @chickenhed

You're welcome!

I made a Beserker that's essentially Guts from the Anime Berserk...and a few other great themed characters in the past, it's a lot of fun to me because it kind of makes things less generic.

You stop powergaming and start thinking about making something work. I think it could be a fun run. Also you should use a lot of potions and if you're Consitution is 14 maybe use the Klaw of Kazaroth since it's a totally cursed-evil-claw-hand-monster-thing. =)
    @chickenhed

BASTARD SWORDS!!! Holy crap...I forgot that there are so many monster specific bastard swords too...

If you are OK with skipping bows alltogether you'll get six proficiency points...maybe go ++ single weapon style and ++ in Long Swords and ++ in Bastard Swords-you can go for the Harrower (+1, +3 Vs Undead Longsword) and the Sword of Balduran (Bastard Sword +4 vs Lycanthropes), as well as the Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs Shapeshifters, and Viscona (+2 and +1 Frost Damage Long Sword)

Those selections sound Gerard worthy...you won't be a dual wielding mess, you'll be swapping when the need arises...like with The Witcher.
    edited February 2013
    @chickenhed

Built a basic character to just test a few things.

I think you should go like this:

Thief Points:

100 Find Traps
    100 Move Silently
    *Any points leftover should go into Hide In Shadows (MS and HiS are added together to get hiding scores when skulking about...and MS is more important since there are other ways to turn invisible but staying hidden is what counts)

Don't bother open locks you can cast Knock or force a lock with brute strength.

In BG2 max out to 100 points in Hide In Shadows, then move on to 100 in Detect Illusion and maybe Set Traps after that.

Proficiency Points at Creation:

++ Long swords
    ++ Single Weapon Style

Then put:

++ in Bastard Swords over the course of the game (you will get two more points before BG1 ends)

SPELLS!

The first spells you NEED to focus on are as follows:

-Shield (Better than armor by far!), lower AC than Armor, better against missiles, protects against magic missile even up to late game in ToB.
    -Armor (until you can get Shield)
    -Find Familiar (to buff your health, I think Geralt is Neutral Good, but whatever Alignment you choose is whatever). you can use the familiar to fight with you some sparingly but usually I just keep 'im in my knapsack.
    -Identify
    -Burning Hands
    -Magic Missile
    -Knock, for locks (Should be a priority to buy early on since it's a level 2 spell...easy to get at the magicians store if you do the "My apprentice has turned into a talking chicken quest)

Later on you'll be able to use just about anything, I'd save room for Skull Trap, Dispel and Remove Magic, AND most importantly Haste.

actual armor is worthless to you unless it's the Elven Chain Mail...but I'd save up for Robe of the Good Archmagi which you can buy fairly early if you save for it. And just use Shield spell and potions otherwise.
    @Debaser these are great suggestions. Thank you for trying out a character and mapping him out a bit. Saves me some trouble! :)

I agree completely with the spell selection. It is actually BENEFICIAL that it will take a long time to get any really good spells as I don't want the character to just turn into a mage.
    @chickenhed

NP...armor won't really matter with that robe and other gear...Stoneskin is another mid game spell to go for for, and Mirror Image, Globe of Invulnerability and Fireshield are also good picks, all the defense spell casting stacks for the most part. And Fireshield damages opponents. You can lower the diffuculty to easy before memorizing if you want to skip out on the chance to fail with learning new spells and then just toggle it back when you're done. You can also do this when leveling up to max out HP. If you take followers I'd stick with Imoen maybe keep her a straight thief / go for Open Locks, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows in that order to balance you both out, and maybe Take Neera as your primary mage due to her extra spell slots. I'm also feeling Jaheria (I usually somehow "accidentally petrify Khalid! =P), but his cowardice might fit your whole "horror fantasy" theme. Maybe Rassad for his Monk story to round it out.
    @chickenhed

One last thought, if you want to be more hardcore about memorizing spells...you could stock up on potions of Genius and do the whole Witcher potion dependent thing in terms of pure role-playing....and just glug em before memorizing a lot of spells at once.
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    I thought about it recently and honestly, there should be a kit and race for that. Since we do not have any subraces now, everything would have to be implemented via kit mod.

What I think a witcher should be is:
    1. A fighter or ranger kit
    2. Only true neutral alignment
    3. May achieve Grand Mastery in any bladed weapons with an exception of oriental weapons (this might be later changed if various Schools were introduced, eg weapon type per school).
    4. Cannot specialize in ranged weapons
    5. No additional stat points! Instead, +1 to hit, +1 to damage and -1 to speed factor any 3 lv. Additionaly natural regenarion (would increase every 5 or 6 lv).
    6. Access to some custom spells. In this case Ranger class would come in handy, as we might be able to remove all druidic spells for them and replace them with sings Lv1, Lv2 and Lv3, each lv would need more casting time. Also -1 to casting time every couple of lvs.
    7. Big charisma penalty and generally reaction modifier that cannot go above - that's what happens when you're a mutant!
    8. Cannot use armor heavier than chain mail.
    9. Bonus against certain dangerous monster types every 5 lv.
    10. In theory, 5% or 10% xp penalty.
    11. Human only obviously.

This would need some planning and working on into BG-like tables etc, but what do you think about it?
    @chickenhed

Did you ever start this game up? I am curious if it's been fun!
    Debaser said:

@chickenhed

Did you ever start this game up? I am curious if it's been fun!

Nope I haven't unfortunately. I haven't had any time; even to check these boards! :)

• WulfyWulfy Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    I reckon that it'd make a great Bard kit. Spellcasting, any weapon, and chainmail... You could have the Bard song changed to only affect the caster, and it could work much like a trance for the witcher: regen, poison cleansing, all that good stuff. Just a thought. Custom spells would be good too.
  • AlexmblsAlexmbls Member Posts: 22
    Hi!
    After read this discussion i got my old notes from others sources and make this...

WITCHER: Noone really knows where the witchers originally came from, although many scholars think that they may have been some early "super warrior" experiment abandoned by it's creator centuries ago. Whatever their origins, the witchers are commonly known as efficient if expensive monster hunters. Their "guild" consists of a small number of "schools" which usually recruit new members from orphans or otherwise "unwanted" children. Those who survive the transformation ritual, train for years learning both combat and book knowledge about various monsters. They also learn the basics of magic, which allows them to use a few single gesture spells. Witchers usually earn their living by slaying monsters for money. They mostly hunt undead like ghouls, lycantropes or things like othyug , too dirty and disgusting for a "knight in shiny armour.

Advantages:
    - -1 bonus to Weapon Speed Factor every 4 levels.
    - A witcher starts off moving at +2 move, then +1 move every 4 levels and cannot be Slowed or Hasted.
    - May use Sign Magic ability once per day per 5 levels from list:
    * Aard (Chromatic Orb),
    * Igni (Burning Hands),
    * Yrden (Set Special Snare - restored from original BG2),
    * Quen (Armor of Faith),
    * Axii (Charm Person/Mammal).
    - 10% chance on each successful hit to slay targeted monster or undead.
    - Immune to charm, confusion, hold, poison and all diseases.

Disadvantages:
    - On character creation receives a -2 to Charisma and Constitution.
    - May not specialize in any non-bladed weapons.
    - May not use any missile weapons.
    - May not wear armor greater than studded leather.
    - May not specialize in sword and shield weapons style.

I planned add more disadvantages, but don't know, how realize it:
    - May not use any shields or helmets.
    - Witcher amulet is a focus for his magic and a symbol of his school, he will never willingly part with it. (effectively blocks the amulet slot.)

Any help?
    Alexmbls said:

Hi!
    After read this discussion i got my old notes from others sources and make this...

WITCHER: Noone really knows where the witchers originally came from, although many scholars think that they may have been some early "super warrior" experiment abandoned by it's creator centuries ago. Whatever their origins, the witchers are commonly known as efficient if expensive monster hunters. Their "guild" consists of a small number of "schools" which usually recruit new members from orphans or otherwise "unwanted" children. Those who survive the transformation ritual, train for years learning both combat and book knowledge about various monsters. They also learn the basics of magic, which allows them to use a few single gesture spells. Witchers usually earn their living by slaying monsters for money. They mostly hunt undead like ghouls, lycantropes or things like othyug , too dirty and disgusting for a "knight in shiny armour.

Advantages:
    - A witcher starts off moving at +2 move, then +1 move every 4 levels and cannot be Slowed or Hasted.
    * Aard (Chromatic Orb),
    * Igni (Burning Hands),
    * Yrden (Set Special Snare - restored from original BG2),
    * Quen (Armor of Faith),
    - 10% chance on each successful hit to slay targeted monster or undead.
    - Immune to charm, confusion, hold, poison and all diseases.

Disadvantages:
    - On character creation receives a -2 to Charisma and Constitution.

I planned add more disadvantages, but don't know, how realize it:
    - May not use any shields or helmets.
    - Witcher amulet is a focus for his magic and a symbol of his school, he will never willingly part with it. (effectively blocks the amulet slot.)

Any help?

Interesting. I would like to play a class like that.

About Yrden - it would be good if there was a way (maybe is, I'm not modder) to change the animation and effects of the Special Snares, so that they would look magical, since Yrden is magical trap.

About one of advantages - 10% for instant slaying is too OP, I think. Either 10% for slay or save, or 5% for instant slay.

One suggestion: how about each Witcher character would recieve their own medalion at start, that would give them a small bonus to abilities or something? Naturally, they would be unable to get rid of those.

And finally, one question. Why -2 to constitution? I know mutations and all, but those shouldn't result in weakening witcher's body.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    How about Skull Trap over the Snare?
    Skull trap is area of effect spell, and also is working against allies.... So I don't really know.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Not in the game, but in pen and paper, a Bladesinger Fighter/Mage. This is not the same as a Blade. There is also a Militant/Martial Wizard from the 2e Complete Wizard's Handbook, A wizard who can wield a weapon as well as a spell (but has less spells because of this).
  • AlexmblsAlexmbls Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Thanks all for the advice...
    I already tested the kit a couple of days... witcher really OP :)
    This need correct...

New V1.01
    ==================================
    Advantages:
    - +3 bonus to hit and damage rolls against all monster or undead creatures. (OP instant slaying was broken and don't work...)
    * Aard (Chromatic Orb),
    * Igni (Burning Hands),
    * Yrden (Skull Trap),
    * Quen (Armor of Faith),
    - Immune to hold, poison and all diseases. (I remove immune to charm and confusion - all enemy clerics become cannon fodder... )

Disadvantages:
    - On character creation receives a -2 to Charisma and Constitution. (may be change to -4 to Charisma?)
    ===================================

I forgot to mention earlier requirements for kit...
    Races allowed - human, half elf
    Permitted alignments - TN
    Stat requirements - STR 9, INT 9
    Dual class options - Thief and Druid.

What do you say?

One suggestion: how about each Witcher character would recieve their own medalion at start, that would give them a small bonus to abilities or something? Naturally, they would be unable to get rid of those.

I will try to make this...