Skip to content

Could we get a bittorrent option?

With the current download problems, plus the ones that happened on release day, I think a bittorrent option would be fantastic. Even if it leaves something like the last 5MBs to be downloaded for verification, it would help a lot. Besides a lot of us have the bandwidth to help out and keep uploading for a long time. I know I'd contribute my 40/20mbps unmetered connection to the cause. It's already pretty ridiculous that in order to get the p2p option to work in the beamdog client, you have to forward ports on your router, something a lot of people are going to look at and go "huh?" at. I think bittorrent would solve your bandwidth issues and cut costs for overhaul. Plus, let's face it, I'm sure I could find a torrent of it with the patch right now if I felt like it.

The humble bundle has successfully utilized bittorrent as a legitimate distribution model for years. It means there's always a fast option available no matter how hammered the servers are.

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    It'd be pretty cool if they were doing that with, say, the "preload" portion of the package.

The last few MB could be done the traditional way, but most of the work could be off-loaded to the bit torrent swarm.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Well thank you very much. I hope nobody minds me reposting that here just to make this information easier to find, since it was in the middle of a long thread.
    Mortes said:

If you have problems to download the files with the official installer, you can try to download them with your prefered torrent software instead. To do it you'll have to login on the beamdog website and follow this link:

http://www.beamdog.com/client/beam/00766.torrent

It will download the BGEE torrent file which you can use to download the preload data files.
    After the download finished, you can copy the 00766 folder with all its content over to the location of the official downloader.

Depending on whether you used the beamdog client or the dedicated BGEE downloader before, you should locate the '\BeamDog\Games' (beamdog client) or '\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data' (dedicated BGEE installer) and copy the 00766 folder from the torrent download location into there. You'll probably have to overwrite existing files. Do so as those files are likely incomplete.

Now you'll only have to delete the files 766.beam and 766.status from this very same folder. Start the official downloader/beamdog client again. It will check the files and should confirm that the download is complete.

Cheers,
    Mortes

PS: for comparison: official client got stuck at 2% for me and wouldn't download anymore. Using deluge (torrent downloader) I was able to download with 300-1500 kb/s and had the download finished within 40 minutes.