Skip to content

enhanced edition? lol what?

I was under the assumption that this would be a continued, or at the very LEAST enhanced from the console versions. It took you guys almost a year for this? Quite frankly I'm confused. I know someone will try to have some uppity response, but that won't make the graphics any better, or direct me to the part where I can play the version that doesn't suck.

Comments

• blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    Uppity how? Yes, you seem very confused indeed. The console versions were hack and slash action "RPGs" and are Baldur's Gate in name only. This is the original (first released in 1998) and one of the most loved CRPGs of all time.

Although I dare say that those of us who frequent this board love the series, you don't have to like it one bit - that's fine - but you'd do yourself a favor if you let go of the attitude considering your ignorance.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17

Thankfully, Baldur's Gate was never released on console.

There were spin-offs made by Snowblind Studios, called Dark Alliance, but it wasn't Baldur's Gate at all.

I believe Baldur's Gate was released on Playstation.

As for the other games, I remember being excited to try them when they first came out, and it was the biggest disappointment of my life. Pun intended.
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    edited February 2013
    Well, I *am* waiting for my Mac download to finish (woke up at 6:30AM for some reason - it's now 7:12, realized I never downloaded the client and here I am... should get a cup of tea, perhaps. Coffee later.).

I guess a more obvious reply to the OP would have been:
    "You tell'em, Merl!"

(Poor Merl never survives long enough to understand what hit him in my play-throughs)
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited February 2013
    @Fenghoang Please, can't you see he's powergaming? :P
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    He must have had a very poor roll, as charisma seems to be a dump stat as well. (18 x 3) + (3 x 3) = 63. Wow that's a really low rol
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700

@Fenghoang Please, can't you see he's powergaming? :P

Please, can't you see he's trolling?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    I would wager that a huge percentage of the resources available for BG:EE went into coding it for modern OSs and new platforms such as iPad and now Mac OS X (eventually also Android and full multiplayer cross-platform).

The contract limitations with the other partners in getting EE made stipulated that only a few very minor changes could be made to the original game's content. So it could not be overhauled that way. Time will tell if changes such as, for example, lots of new banters, expanded relationships, etc., with the existing 25 NPCs can be made via future DLCs. (That's just my speculation, btw. I'm not privy to the contract.)

The loss of the original 3D artwork was also a major disappointment to everyone. That meant the game could not be re-rendered in HD. But the graphics are however significantly improved to run at higher native resolution in wide screen. The game looks gorgeous to me at 1920x1080 on a 27" monitor.

The zoom feature, new UI, three four great new NPCs, the Black Pits, now 6 new kits added. The list of compatible mods is growing fast. I think most fans of the game feel it's well worth the price. ($20 is about what fast food for two costs these days.)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    edited February 2013
    ^ Lol, that's awesome.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Lemernis said:

The zoom feature, new UI, 4 great new NPCs, the Black Pits, now 6 new kits added. The list of compatible mods is growing fast. I think most fans of the game feel it's well worth the price. ($20 is about what fast food for two costs these days.)

fixed ;)

Also not only the list of compatible mods is growing, they are also getting improved, for example Dsotsc which was never even compatible with tutu..

edited February 2013
    @mch202 Oh yeah, I forgot about Mr. B.!* (Haven't used him yet.) Edited my post accordingly. Thanks!

Yeah, great point about the revitalization of existing mods.

(No, not this one. ;P)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The OP's post makes me tear my neckbeard and devastate my basement den. :P
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Please don't feed the troll.
    edited February 2013
    I like to jiu jitsu threads like this to talk about the things I appreciate about the game. There a few things that we all lament (devs and players alike)--loss of the source 3D model artwork, first and foremost. But in the balance the EE is a great value. When expectations are modified to match the realities of what Beamdog was/is working with, most people will agree they did a fantastic job. I'm sure there's been a learning curve for them on some things, but that's always part and parcel of an enterprise like this.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    atcDave said:

Please don't feed the troll.

Actually I really like comments like the OP's. They make me laugh, and I love seeing everyone jump to the defense of the game and bring up what's great about it.
    Critical complaints are good for game design.
    Ignorant complaints are good for a laugh!
    Yep, if I went back in time 10 years and Bioware released 5 kits in a patch, I would have been pretty ecstatic and it might have prepared me for their approach to DLC today (in the sense that I would have paused 5min more and considered it necessary in today's market before boycotting their games).
    Now I'm really looking forward to what Overhaul are planning for actual DLC as it will obviously be more than a few kits.

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Apparently Bethesda, a huge company with a huge team, releasing Skyrim at full price and still patching it one full year later is fine but Beamdog expanding on a classic game and updating it very very often in three months, at about 1/3 of the price, is not okay. Derp derp derp.

Even if the kits have issues, they're free. People would gladly pay them in other games.

Also the OP is a troll and he lost all credibility when he mentioned the console versions here.
    At least some older trolls made an effort by saying "omg!!11 this remake suxxx".
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Obvious troll. 2/10 would not deflower again.