Skip to content

Best GOOD aligned characters

I usually play EVIL characters, not because I have a slightly defective moral compass (I hate killing Dyna for example), but because I have grown used to having certain characters accompany me and consequently the odd innocent must be sacrificed to appease them. :)

I made an Archer who "fell" (unbeknownst to me) and it was too late, by the time I discovered this, for me to retrieve a save prior to the incident.
I would like to play an Archer still, so naturally I am going to have to use good(-ish) characters or people that wont whinge and leave if my rep gets too high.

My party will consist of PC (Archer) Imoen (Thief no Dual classing) and possibly Neera, now, usually I have the following and I would like to know which of them will need to be replaced if I am "GOOD" aligned and who should replace them.

Shar-Teel (If she needs replacing, I would ideally like some heavy armoured person that can dual wield if possible)
Dorn...If he needs replacing....dunno I'm guessing Ajantis, but open to suggestions.
Edwin

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

I like Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc & Dynaheir (I usually swap out one pair to recruit a specific person for different areas)

Well, I find Khalid immensely annoying and they come as a package, so being "good" I dont want to have to sack Khalid in my "usual" manner :)

Dunno about Minsc, I played him years ago and sure the whole Boo thing was cool, I dont know how he would stack up vs Dorn or Shar-Teel but he has baggage, I dont know if Dyna is as good as Edwin.

Thanks for the reply Bhaaldog :)

• apeterssonapetersson Member Posts: 33
    Ajantis makes a very solid tank with Gauntlets of Dexterity, Albruin sword, and his lay on hands ability.
    For a start, You can also get a Bastard Sword +1 for free in Beregost
    He has more damage potential than Khalid. Due to his high Charisma, you also have a natural leader for NPC interaction and shops, and do not need to shuffle arond party positions manually. I even gave him the Charisma tome and Algernon's cloak.

Of course, technically Imoen is the best NPC, with her 87 stat points. Also her ability to dual-class into the best mage NPC, her relaxed view on reputation.

If you are looking for the best good damage dealer, Coran as a longbow archer propably is it. Even if you are an Archer, there are enough item choices to equip both charname and Coran perfectly.

Ajantis makes a very solid tank with Gauntlets of Dexterity, Albruin sword, and his lay on hands ability.
    For a start, You can also get a Bastard Sword +1 for free in Beregost

If you are looking for the best good damage dealer, Coran as a longbow archer propably is it. Even if you are an Archer, there are enough item choices to equip both charname and Coran perfectly.

I think I'll save Coran for when I make a Fighter party, I dont think he would fit in with this party tbh, I think 2 mages and PC Archer suits my playstyle, so I need three armours in front, Maybe Branwen, Jahira and Ajantis, i dunno yet, Yeslick is too hard to get to.

What Bastard Sword is free in Beregost, I havent had anybody use them, so I wasnt particularly keeping an eye on what I found and sold off.

Thanks for the reply :)

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The "free" Bastard Sword+1 is in one of chests in Thunderhammer's store/smithy. If you venture in there at night the place will be empty of witnesses as well.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    First, I'll list the proposed party just to I can see this better:
    PC (Archer)
    Imoen (Thief no Dual classing)

then possibly:

Neera
    Shar-Teel
    Dorn
    Edwin
    There's no reason that you can't have a mixed alignment party. I do that all the time. (That's actually the norm for me.)

Chaotic Good can definitely behave unlawfully, although they also tend toward being helpful versus maliciously harming others. So there's no reason a CG character can't assemble some badass evil characters in their quest. From a RP standpoint (and this has nothing to do with the game engine), if it were a PnP game such a character (who tends to be helpful towards others) as party leader should have rather high Cha in order to get a mostly evil group to fall in behind him or her, though. By leader I don't mean the tactical formation, but rather when speaking with any NPC. However, you could also place a high Cha Good or Neutral aligned character in the lead spot (Imoen has high Cha, for example). But that said, it's your SP game to play however you enjoy most. So do whatever makes it most fun for you. (Come to think of it, you could tap a high Cha evil character to do the talking with NPCs as well.)

If you play mixed alignment just make sure that your Reputation doesn't get above 17. The evil characters will leave if the party's rep reaches 18. There are a number of ways to decrease rep, including have a thief or bard get caught pickpocketing, or a thief getting caught burglarizing a home. I sometimes have evil characters behave as I imagine would be entirely in-character for them and kill commoners who mouth off to them. (Use sparingly as the rep decrease is pretty massive.) You can also do a rep-increasing quest but simply not speak with the quest-giver at the end, forgoing the additional XP reward and rep increase. (That requires some metagame knowledge of which quests award a rep point.)

As for adding Good or Neutral aligned NPCs to the above party you might also want to consider which ones will interact, and how. I won't spoil you but not all the NPCs get along. That's also part of the fun--at least for my taste--of playing a mixed alignment party. Folks here can post more about who doesn't get along with whom if you request.

I think your party would benefit from another front line character. And you'll need a healer.

So any of these could be used:

Meleer
    Ajantis (LG)
    Kagain (LE)
    Khalid (NG) (paired with Jaheira but can be separated)
    Kivan (he's great with the halberd)
    Minsc (NG) (paired with Dynaheir but can be separated)

Healer/Meleer
    Branwen (TN)
    Jaheira (TN) (paired with Khalid but can be separated)
    Viconia (NE) (tanks really well in ankheg armor)
    Yeslick (LG)
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I would just go with Ajantis, Minsc and Dyna to replace your regular crew. That's a plenty strong party.
    scriver said:

The "free" Bastard Sword+1 is in one of chests in Thunderhammer's store/smithy. If you venture in there at night the place will be empty of witnesses as well.

Thanks Scriver :)
    Lemernis said:

First, I'll list the proposed party just to I can see this better:

PC (Archer)
    Imoen (Thief no Dual classing)

then possibly:

Neera
    Shar-Teel
    Dorn
    Edwin
    There's no reason that you can't have a mixed alignment party. I do that all the time. (That's actually the norm for me.)

Thanks for taking the time to cover so many bases Lemernis :)

I'm kinda looking for a crew that wont complain about my alignment, so I dont have to worry about my rep skyrocketing, as this will be a "good" playthrough. I guess I could keep my usual party and "manage" my rep to appease them, but I dont want to do that.

I have read that Dyna isn't all that great, But, I'll check her out more carefully, Theres not alot of choice I can see mage-wise that I like, Xan is hard to get to, same with Yeslick, for low level aquisition, before they start self assigning points.

I'm leaning towards Kivan, Branwen and Ajantis at this stage, I've never used any of them before. I could go with the old reliables like Jahira and Minsc, but I dont want their partners as I will have to kill them, which will go against my alignment.

Its weird, the game sort of penalises you for being "bad", but (to me) it seems that the bad guys are the best characters :)

Thanks for the replies :)

Where do you get that Albruin sword in BG1?

Thanks for any help :)
    atcDave said:

I would just go with Ajantis, Minsc and Dyna to replace your regular crew. That's a plenty strong party.

I'll have to look into Dyna some more I think, thanks for the suggestion :)

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    In good parties I like to take Kivan just before the bandit camp, then replace him with Coran when starting Cloakwood

Of course, technically Imoen is the best NPC, with her 87 stat points. Also her ability to dual-class into the best mage NPC, her relaxed view on reputation.

Imoen will still leave your party if your rep drops to 2 or less, though...
    Lemernis said:

)

I'm actually currently playing a mixed-alignmend party for the first time at the moment:

CN - CHARNAME half-elf Blade
    NE - Dorn, Half-Orc Blackguard
    NE - Vicona, elf Cleric
    NG - Imoen, human thief
    CN - Neera, half-elf Wild Mage
    CG - Kivan, elf Ranger - will replace with CG Coran, elf fighter/thief at Cloakwood

Works for me!

Imoen was with me at Lv 4 Archer, but when I was attacked by a guard in Nash and I killed him, she left.

As regards the mixed party, I want to have a "good" party totally, so I dont have to play, just to appease the party members.

Thanks for the reply Oxford_Guy :)

Fiach said:

Imoen was with me at Lv 4 Archer, but when I was attacked by a guard in Nash and I killed him, she left.

As regards the mixed party, I want to have a "good" party totally, so I dont have to play, just to appease the party members.
    Chaotic/Lawful/True Neutral characters don't really require any more reputation management than good characters BTW

Fiach said:

Chaotic/Lawful/True Neutral characters don't really require any more reputation management than good characters BTW

I never knew that, eg. I thought "Neutral" characters would be annoyed if you wern't neutral eg. rep 10 or so (average).

Thanks for the heads up, that does extend my choices considerably :)

Fiach said:

Fiach said:

I never knew that, eg. I thought "Neutral" characters would be annoyed if you wern't neutral eg. rep 10 or so (average).

In BGEE neutral NPCs are happy when having high rep (this is a change from BG1)

Fiach said:

Fiach said:

Ah, OK, that means I can use Vicky! Cheers! :)

edited February 2013
    Fiach said:

Fiach said:

Fiach said:

Ah, OK, that means I can use Vicky! Cheers! :)

Viconia is neutral *evil* - only CN/LN/TN (and NG) are happy at high rep, as I previously indicated.

Although in BG2 (only) it's possible for Viconia to become:

Chaotic Neutral, if you romance her and make certain choices
    Ah, well, I was happy for a bit, thanks Oxford_Guy, I was just starting to build my character, so...nick of time etc. :)
    Fiach said:

Ah, well, I was happy for a bit, thanks Oxford_Guy, I was just starting to build my character, so...nick of time etc. :)

Still gives you the option of Neera, Branwen, Safana etc., all of whom are pretty decent

Fiach said:

Still gives you the option of Neera, Branwen, Safana etc., all of whom are pretty decent
    Yes, I was taking Neera anyway, Bran was always a possible, I wont need Safana as Imoen will be a Thief, think I'll just pull Ajantis and Kivan and Branwen and see what happens, thanks for all the help :)

edited February 2013
    Am I missing something with Ajantis, he seems very underwhelming compared to the likes of Kaigan , Shar-Teel or Dorn....maybe it's just me, but every combat situation, he seems to come out with the most injuries, so much so that, now I tend to keep my Archer near the front line dualwielding sword n dagger, to help him out.

He is wearing Ankheg, Dex Gloves and a Bastard Sword +1 and probably a ring of princes and some plussed shield, he's about lv4 with 44HP, i probably got him at Lv1 and he has an auto prof in 2 Hand which seems weird for a Paladin, I would have thought they would sword n board or maybe I'm playing him wrong, its just that I find his lack of Hitpoints...disturbing :)
    Post edited by Fiach on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Inspired by this topic, I started grabbing some good aligned NPCs myself, to see what I miss with my usual evil ways. I found Ajantis more useful than Khalid. His abilities to lay hands and protect from evil are pretty handy. He gets hit a bit in nearly every fight, but not more than lay hands can quickly fix. Sure, he's nothing like Kagain, but then, no other NPC gets even close to Kagain as tank.
    Try frontlining with 27 HP Kivan with halberd (or even better - Varscona +2 without shield). It very quickly cured me from "frontliner must have 50+ HP at level 5 BECAUSE KAGAIN DOES" because it works fine. Surprised me more than anything; for psychological reasons, I could never make Kivan anything but an archer before. Then I changed his portrait to one without a bow, and he became a killing machine. Not a real tank, but for that, I got Yeslick. If you are as attached to the idea of "dwarf must tank" as I am due to being used to Kagain, try that - Kivan in Dorn's role, Yeslick in Kagain's. Both have notably less HP and you won't notice it anymore after a while.
    I had Kivan, but not for very long tbh, as I had PC and Imoen on bow duty, neera chucking spells, i needed a Cleric (Branwen), which left Jahira or Kivan, I kinda just thought of Kivan as another archer and maybe discounted him because of that, but I got the impression that Ajantis was really good, so I wondered if I was playing him badly.

Yeslick (to me) is just to difficult to get to early enough, maybe when I become more experienced, I will find it less difficult, but I dont think I could get him before lv 3.

Thanks for the advice though,I will definately consider Kivan more seriously in future :)
    The secret is: change Kivan's portrait. His default one screams "GIVE ME A BOW". I'm using this one now: http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/KivanL.png It shows no weapon, so it doesn't feel weird to make use of his halberd and sword profs. Also, since you say "I needed a cleric, which left Jaheira or Kivan" - he isn't a druid, he's a ranger. He doesn't have spells; he has the ability to charm animals and stealth. (And good str/dex, though his con isn't overwhelming and his charisma sucks - this comes into play if you just kicked your paladin and realize that your squishy ranged assassin is the most charismatic in the group... with 13 char + cloak + tome and no ability to cast friends... Not that this recently happened to me. ;))

Yeslick is in the worst of all places. Until now, I never had him in my party before. You can't get him before Cloakwood, which is likely well after level 3. At that point, you usually already invested in your party and gave your cleric the weapons and gear and it feels like starting all over to ditch what you have and got used to and take a new NPC.
    edited February 2013
    Thats a cool portrait :)

Yes, his stats didnt make me go wow!, on saying that, neither did his skills (charm animals...why bother?) and I always play Imoen as a Thief. Why would you need "Friends"?

I dont get the importance of CHA unless its to maintain mixed alignment cohesion, prices aren't an issue as theres enough gold if you farm Ankhegs...(speaking of which, Dorn can carry 4 on his own, all my current party can manage as a group is maybe 4).

I feel kinda gipped with Ajantis, I may go and look for Kivan, see how he has developed, I remember picking up a Halbred+1 or something similar, maybe in Cloakwood, I forget, but I can look it up. i'm heading to Cloakwood currently, maybe if Yeslick isnt too screwed up, I can use him.

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT : Kivan Profs
    Halberd ++
    Longbow ++
    Two Weapon Style. ++

But, He's still Lv 2 (16 Hitpoints), my party is Lv 3-4

None even compliment each other or am i missing something obvious?
    I never use Charm Animals either... I think I did once in the first Cloakwood, where the druids summoned panthers I thought I should try for the lulz. But other than that... yeah, not very useful. But Kivan isn't kitted, so he can wear all heavy armor and you can basically use him as a fighter.

Charisma isn't THAT important for shopping, especially for a good party, but it also keeps NPC morale up to have a high charisma leader.

Ankheg farming without Dorn can be... ugh, yeah, I know what you mean. :D

The halberd +1 you probably found is... umm. Spoiler free. Near the Gnoll Stronghold. There is a second good halberd in the same area.

Yeslick is a lawful good dwarf fighter/cleric multi; with the weapon profs you'd expect from a dwarf. He had some silly spells memorized when I met him, but being a cleric, that's easily fixed. If you already had Kivan, he's likely on a much lower level than the rest of your party now. Therefore, Yeslick might be the better idea at this point.

The halberd +1 you probably found is... umm. Spoiler free. Near the Gnoll Stronghold. There is a second good halberd in the same area.

Yeslick is a lawful good dwarf fighter/cleric multi; with the weapon profs you'd expect from a dwarf. He had some silly spells memorized when I met him, but being a cleric, that's easily fixed. If you already had Kivan, he's likely on a much lower level than the rest of your party now. Therefore, Yeslick might be the better idea at this point.

The one I meant was Dryad Falls, where the cat is.

I could maybe switch Yeslick for Jahira and give him the dex gloves.

I'm really torn over Kivan and Ajantis though, i think a cup of tea and a sticky bun is in order, while I mull it over :)
    Yes, that's the +1 halberd. There's another closer to the Gnoll Stronghold.

The gnoll deserter Ingot, roams the corner above the small section where you can travel to the Stronghold map, has the Chesley Crusher +2. It is not blued/unidentified when you find it, but it looks different than normal or +1 halberds, so you'll still recognize it.

Do you still have Ajantis in the group? And how long ago did you ditch Kivan? In doubt, you could trade Ajantis for Yeslick (if Kivan is too far behind in levels).
    edited February 2013
    LOL I always kill that guy,
    the one wants to kill a certain mage?
    I never even looked at his inventory :))))

I havent played that save yet today (made a Kensai (mage)for BG2, while I was a ponderin') :),

Kivan is Lv 2, Ajantis is Lv 4. I dont know what to do, if I trade Yeslick for Ajantis, then I have 2 fighter/clerics (Yeslick and Jahira), I wish kivan didnt have such diverse proffs or Ajantis didnt have proff in dualwield, they just seem kinda gimped, I may just return to runing evil parties.

thanks for all the help KidCarnival :)