Skip to content

Installing Sword Coast Stratagems: Inquisitor Dispel Magic Options (x2, x1.5, or x1 Your Level)

I never play as one so I hadn't really thought about this...but I do use Keldorn a lot in BG2 (He's a great character in a good party)

My question to SCS users is this: The spirit of this is to make the game a bigger challenge...but how powerful is that x2 your level for Dispel Magic? The description claims that it's far more powerful than most enemies you face, ...so what do you guys usually set this at and why?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There is no doubt that being able to dispel every protection off a powerful enemy in one swoop is very, very powerful. If you play at a lower difficulty setting (slider or mod-option-wise), you may not need such a powerful dispel.

Me, I play on Insane with every mage-buff option in SCSII enabled to full - if I reduced the multiplier below x2, I'd have to avoid every lich in the game until my mages are high enough a level to be able to dispel it "manually". Since I do a lot of dual-classing, I don't like that. It also makes fights a bit less random, since a dispel can be so extraordinarily crucial and losing a roll on it can void 10 minutes of intense combat.

For my own intents and purposes, I find that having a single-class paladin (as opposed to fighter->X dual-class, which is what almost everyone else in my party is) is enough of a penalty to allow me a x2 dispel. And I'd rather keep the dispel than have to tone down the difficulty options of the mod.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I use the midway option - dispel magic 1.5 times their level.

Going halfway in making it more difficult is what I do with more SCS options. Vanilla, the game is too easy for me, but many fights I find to be un-winnable with all options enabled. Thus I use smarter mages, but without the pre-buffs, the more intelligent dragons but without the extra staying power, etc. This way I can win the game with some of the battles needing one or more (and occasionaly much more) reloads, thus defeating the game in the end, but with a challenge, just as I like it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I use 1x your level
    Liches should be hard to dispel, after all.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @DJKajuru @Son_of_Imoen @Lord_Tansheron

I went with 1.5 x Your Level as an experiment...mainly because I think it should be better than your level since it's a class perk and it's intended, but possibly a full 2 x your level is overpowered considering everyone always claims Wizard Slayers can't hold a candle to Inquisitors because of this reason.

I appreciate the support fellas, and the conjecture...installing this mod is a process for sure.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @TJ_Hooker @DJKajuru @Son_of_Imoen @Lord_Tansheron

With Smarter Mages what option did you guys pick?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

There is no doubt that being able to dispel every protection off a powerful enemy in one swoop is very, very powerful. If you play at a lower difficulty setting (slider or mod-option-wise), you may not need such a powerful dispel.

Me, I play on Insane with every mage-buff option in SCSII enabled to full - if I reduced the multiplier below x2, I'd have to avoid every lich in the game until my mages are high enough a level to be able to dispel it "manually". Since I do a lot of dual-classing, I don't like that. It also makes fights a bit less random, since a dispel can be so extraordinarily crucial and losing a roll on it can void 10 minutes of intense combat.

For my own intents and purposes, I find that having a single-class paladin (as opposed to fighter->X dual-class, which is what almost everyone else in my party is) is enough of a penalty to allow me a x2 dispel. And I'd rather keep the dispel than have to tone down the difficulty options of the mod.

Translation:
    With x2 dispel you can:
    *Play on maximum difficulty
    *Take on high level fights like liches who are some of the toughest before you'd otherwise be able to
    *Have an inquisitor as a star in a max cookie cutter 5*dual classed group
    *Rely on this one spell to avoid losing a 10 minute fight

Hmm, I can see why it's been toned down ...

Personally I set it to 1.5x
    Debaser said:

@TJ_Hooker @DJKajuru @Son_of_Imoen @Lord_Tansheron

With Smarter Mages what option did you guys pick?

Wowo said:

Translation:
    With x2 dispel you can:
    *Take on high level fights like liches who are some of the toughest before you'd otherwise be able to

It's not NECESSARY to have an Inquisitor, by any means. As I said, you can just avoid liches until the end of the game, or reload over and over if your dispel fails and you die. If you don't mind that, then by all means, go ahead. It's a personal choice, after all. I've tried playing with x1 dispel, and all that does is add to my frustration when I lose the roll; which frankly I already have enough of, given how random the whole saving-throw system can be.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Going halfway in making it more difficult is what I do with more SCS options. Vanilla, the game is too easy for me, but many fights I find to be un-winnable with all options enabled. Thus I use smarter mages, but without the pre-buffs, the more intelligent dragons but without the extra staying power, etc. This way I can win the game with some of the battles needing one or more (and occasionaly much more) reloads, thus defeating the game in the end, but with a challenge, just as I like it.

@Son_of_Imoen - Do you have a list of all the changes you make? I'd like to make the game harder, through smarter AIs etc., but not ridiculosuly so, and don't want to make too many changes to the core game

@Son_of_Imoen - Do you have a list of all the changes you make? I'd like to make the game harder, through smarter AIs etc., but not ridiculosuly so, and don't want to make too many changes to the core game
    SCS isn't as hard as the equivalent for BGII from what I've read. Each portion is installed individually so you can just hit "yes" and "no" on each part. It's not too hard to reinstall either if you don't like a particular option.

Just try it and adjust as needed :)

Wowo said:

Translation:
    With x2 dispel you can:

It's not NECESSARY to have an Inquisitor, by any means. As I said, you can just avoid liches until the end of the game, or reload over and over if your dispel fails and you die. If you don't mind that, then by all means, go ahead. It's a personal choice, after all. I've tried playing with x1 dispel, and all that does is add to my frustration when I lose the roll; which frankly I already have enough of, given how random the whole saving-throw system can be.
    Liches seem like something that *should* be avoided, or only approached with extreme prejudice with the understanding that it's a brutal fight.

It just sounds like 2x dispel is a massive easy button for you and in the context of strategems is even more unbalanced in it's current form as its power scales with the challenge.
    Wowo said:

Liches seem like something that *should* be avoided, or only approached with extreme prejudice with the understanding that it's a brutal fight.

It just sounds like 2x dispel is a massive easy button for you and in the context of strategems is even more unbalanced in it's current form as its power scales with the challenge.

The dispel doesn't make the fights a pushover. In fact, most high-level mages start with Spellshield and Immunity: Abjuration anyway, meaning you will have some other dispelling to do before you can even land an Inquisitor-dispel. But going through all the hoops of beating Dark Planetars and Time Stop/Improved Alacrity raining Dragon's Breaths and Meteors on you only to then fail a roll on your dispel and die? That doesn't involve much strategy, it just involves getting lucky on a roll. The same is true if you dispel negative effects from your party, particularly in the early game. Any form of CC, any Hold Person or Confusion or Fear basically equals death at that point if it lands and is not immediately dispelled. What's the alternative, then? Reload until you win the dispel-roll. Reload until you make the saving throw. Reload and buff everyone with specific immunities, if you can even do that at that level. How is that any better?

Wowo said:

The dispel doesn't make the fights a pushover. In fact, most high-level mages start with Spellshield and Immunity: Abjuration anyway, meaning you will have some other dispelling to do before you can even land an Inquisitor-dispel. But going through all the hoops of beating Dark Planetars and Time Stop/Improved Alacrity raining Dragon's Breaths and Meteors on you only to then fail a roll on your dispel and die? That doesn't involve much strategy, it just involves getting lucky on a roll. The same is true if you dispel negative effects from your party, particularly in the early game. Any form of CC, any Hold Person or Confusion or Fear basically equals death at that point if it lands and is not immediately dispelled. What's the alternative, then? Reload until you win the dispel-roll. Reload until you make the saving throw. Reload and buff everyone with specific immunities, if you can even do that at that level. How is that any better?
    I play no-reload so ill have to look at other options. Hold person etc doesn't equal death in strategems as the enemy stops attacking held characters and focuses on still active ones so as long as everyone doesn't get held its usually no big deal.

The point is that you're relying on this one ability to overcome some of the most challenging fights in the game when the mod clearly intends for it to be rebalanced as its too powerful in its default form.

Maybe try a no-reload game without an inquisitor and see how your tactics change?
    Wowo said:

I play no-reload so ill have to look at other options. Hold person etc doesn't equal death in strategems as the enemy stops attacking held characters and focuses on still active ones so as long as everyone doesn't get held its usually no big deal.

The point is that you're relying on this one ability to overcome some of the most challenging fights in the game when the mod clearly intends for it to be rebalanced as its too powerful in its default form.

Maybe try a no-reload game without an inquisitor and see how your tactics change?

To be honest, I found the beginning of the game much harder than the end. I can live without Inquisitor Dispel once I get to a decent level (usually middle/end of Spellhold) and have access to all the tools.

I frankly don't see myself playing no-reload without succumbing to massive loads of frustration, or making everyone a barbarian. Don't know how Hold Person doesn't kill you when you have 3-4 party members at the start and 2-3 get held in a city ambush, especially the more resilient ones.

I only play on Insane; that means backstabs pretty much one-shot anyone (Inquisitor True Sight anyone?). The AI also tends to prefer attacking the party members with the lowest HP. Add to that the fact that I play with max-HP rolls for every enemy, and you can see how any form of CC can be absolutely devastating in the early game.

My biggest problem with all the CC is that it lasts so friggin long. I mean 1 Turn? That's what, a whole minute? Most fights will be over by then, one way or another. Same goes for Horror. Even Chaos/Confusion last 7-8 rounds! That is absolutely devastating for small parties at the beginning of the game.

But I can live with that, because of my Inquisitor. I can make sure he doesn't get CC'd, then use him to dispel the others. This makes fights easier to be sure, but the alternative is smashing the keyboard because 3 people failed their Hold Person save and the last one was a Thief with low HP that gets insta-gibbed by a backstab.

In the late game, it doesn't change much. In fact, the spell I use most with my Inquisitor at that point is True Sight, not Dispel Magic, and mostly for the convenience of freeing up lvl 6 spell-slots on my mages for more Improved Haste.

But then again, this is all a personal choice. There's several ways to increase difficulty, I chose not to go the path of nerfing the Inquisitor. You say it's easymode - I say the same for anything other than Insane difficulty. Different styles for different people.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    One other downside of the Inquisitor dispel is that you are often forced to dispel your own party along with the enemy. Which removes all of those pre-fight buffs you just cast on them.

The Inquisitor is certainly powerful, and useful to have, but it's not an instant win button.

Wowo said:

To be honest, I found the beginning of the game much harder than the end. I can live without Inquisitor Dispel once I get to a decent level (usually middle/end of Spellhold) and have access to all the tools.

I frankly don't see myself playing no-reload without succumbing to massive loads of frustration, or making everyone a barbarian. Don't know how Hold Person doesn't kill you when you have 3-4 party members at the start and 2-3 get held in a city ambush, especially the more resilient ones.

I only play on Insane; that means backstabs pretty much one-shot anyone (Inquisitor True Sight anyone?). The AI also tends to prefer attacking the party members with the lowest HP. Add to that the fact that I play with max-HP rolls for every enemy, and you can see how any form of CC can be absolutely devastating in the early game.

My biggest problem with all the CC is that it lasts so friggin long. I mean 1 Turn? That's what, a whole minute? Most fights will be over by then, one way or another. Same goes for Horror. Even Chaos/Confusion last 7-8 rounds! That is absolutely devastating for small parties at the beginning of the game.

But I can live with that, because of my Inquisitor. I can make sure he doesn't get CC'd, then use him to dispel the others. This makes fights easier to be sure, but the alternative is smashing the keyboard because 3 people failed their Hold Person save and the last one was a Thief with low HP that gets insta-gibbed by a backstab.

In the late game, it doesn't change much. In fact, the spell I use most with my Inquisitor at that point is True Sight, not Dispel Magic, and mostly for the convenience of freeing up lvl 6 spell-slots on my mages for more Improved Haste.

But then again, this is all a personal choice. There's several ways to increase difficulty, I chose not to go the path of nerfing the Inquisitor. You say it's easymode - I say the same for anything other than Insane difficulty. Different styles for different people.
    Insane is hardly how the game is intended though, it's just a badly implemented way of increasing difficulty.

Of course just different playstyles for different people but I'd take the challenge of no-reloads over what you've listed and reckon its harder.

Honestly I really love not barreling into every fight and just reloading it over and over until I get it right, its massively more realistic and true to Dungeons and Dragons. There's certainly no reload feature in pen and paper and even to the point that the developers parody such reloading in BGII.

Core rules with stratagems seems true to D&D as well, no need to max HP rolls or double damage, its challenging enough when you can't rely on reloads to do it perfectly.

Finally, being fearful of challenging fights and deferring them until ready keeps that xp and gear from making other fights easier.
    I don't like no-reloads because they force a very time-consuming playstyle. You have to buff extensively, avoid certain areas until you're high enough level, make sure you have certain classes available. Hassles that surely make the game harder, but also more tedious to play. And then you still lose against bad RNG. Not a lot of strategy involved there, just a lot of hard work and frankly more time than I have available to invest into playing.

And let's just not go into "how the game is intended" because that just doesn't work as an argument for a whole number of reasons.

I don't like no-reloads because they force a very time-consuming playstyle. You have to buff extensively, avoid certain areas until you're high enough level, make sure you have certain classes available. Hassles that surely make the game harder, but also more tedious to play. And then you still lose against bad RNG. Not a lot of strategy involved there, just a lot of hard work and frankly more time than I have available to invest into playing.

And let's just not go into "how the game is intended" because that just doesn't work as an argument for a whole number of reasons.

I think that making the argument that the game is intended to bring all the good facets of the pen and paper game is fair, no?

I'm not finding it tedious, I'm having great fun in fact. I don't see that you need any particular class as long as you have a strategy to overcome the challenges (I did no-reloads without a healer until picking up Yeslick for instance).

I haven't finished BG with stratagems yet but my current group of custom characters will hopefully be up to the challenge. I'll have to see if the buffing game in BG2 becomes too tedious for me when BG2:ee is released.
    Wowo said:

I think that making the argument that the game is intended to bring all the good facets of the pen and paper game is fair, no?

See, that's why it's not an argument you want to get into. Those "good facets" alone are a whole different argument on their own, and that's not even going into mods and the likes which change everything completely.

If you don't find no-reloads tedious, by all means, play them. Me I prefer cranking up everything to 11 and then figuring out how to deal with it, even if that involves hours of reloading until I get it just right. Judgement's out as to what's harder, and what's more tedious.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Sorry for the late reaction, I haven't been doing well lately. This is what I've installed the first time I beat SOA a few months ago:

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Detectable spells (required for most other components): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1010 // Allow enemy AI to detect the party's magic items: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Bugfix: Fix the Mirror Image spell so it doesn't block area-effect magic: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Bugfix: Fix the Dispel Magic spell so it correctly allows for caster's level: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility -> Only Spell Thrust, Secret Word and Ruby Ray get areas of effect (default option): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy Harm spells reduce target to 1 hit point; player Harm spells do 150 hp of damage: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc.: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Revert Greater Restoration back to only affecting one creature: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2130 // Cosmetic change: stop Stoneskins from changing the caster's colour: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Remove the invisibility power of the Staff of the Magi: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3020 // Move Vhailor's Helm into Throne of Bhaal: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Move the Cloak of Mirroring: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Replace +1 magical weapons with Fine ones: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Make the healing and resurrection powers of the Rod of Resurrection into separate abilities: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Change Carsomyr so that its Dispel on contact power grants a saving throw: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3510 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3530 // Faster Bears: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3990 // Increase the price of a license to practise magic in Athkatla -> License costs 10,000 gp: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Increase the price asked by Gaylan Baele -> Gaylan wants 40,000 gold pieces: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Retrieve Dropped Items from Hell: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5020 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Displacer Cloak: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6020 // Potions for NPCs -> All of the potions dropped by slain enemies are recoverable: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Improved Spiders: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6035 // Improved golems: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6051 // Improved fiends -> Fiends cast spells like normal wizards: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6061 // Smarter genies -> Genies cast spells like normal wizards: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6081 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials cast spells like normal wizards: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6095 // Standardise dragon immunities: dragons in Shadows of Amn get the same immunities to vorpal attacks (etc) as their Throne of Bhaal cousins: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6101 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons cast spells like normal wizards: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6108 // Enemy mages (and Elder Orbs) use Simulacrum and Project Image spells (this component will have no effect unless you install Smarter Mages or Smarter Beholders): v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6130 // Improved Vampires: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6135 // Smarter githyanki: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6136 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB mages -> Only selected ToB mages get HLAs: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6138 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA mages -> Only selected SoA mages get HLAs: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6152 // Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6160 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests -> Only selected ToB priests get HLAs: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6170 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA priests -> Only selected SoA priests get HLAs: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6182 // Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6230 // Smarter Abazigal: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6250 // Smarter Melissan: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7020 // More resilient trolls: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Improved Random Encounters: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved d'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Spirit trolls have the same powers as in the original game: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Slightly improved Faldorn: v15
    ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7111 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Leave Ust Natha's defences alone: v15

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I keep it at x2. Nearly everything in SCS uses Spell Immunity:Abjuration anyway so there is no concern for liches about being wiped off the map. The Inquisitor is specifically supposed to be able to neutralize mages and mages have plenty enough options anyway so I don't feel particularly bad for them.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    AHF said:

I keep it at x2. Nearly everything in SCS uses Spell Immunity:Abjuration anyway so there is no concern for liches about being wiped off the map. The Inquisitor is specifically supposed to be able to neutralize mages and mages have plenty enough options anyway so I don't feel particularly bad for them.

My thoughts exactly.

The Inquisitor has great abilities, but the lack of spellcasting makes him a far less effective frontline warrior than other paladins. I think it's a fair trade.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    there is no need to nerf inquisitors, they loose all of their paladin abilities for the dispel,they are a great kit but if you nerf dispel nothing remains on them,they will become a mere wielder of carsomyr dispeling enemies with Greater whiriwind attack(even if you have like 10% chance on hit it should do)