Skip to content

Two potential patch bugs

KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
Since I never find bugs first, I'll ask here if anyone else experiences this. Maybe it's just me.

Firebead does not give the quest in Beregost either. That his Candlekeep quest is bugged is known, and you can still get the scroll by pickpocketing, so it's possible to complete it. But in Beregost, he doesn't give out the quest at all and only repeats his recommendation. Pickpocketing him gives me the book I'd usually get as reward, then "target has no items", meaning the scroll case isn't there.

And Neera's gem bag... I'm unable to move all gems in it to the inventory or sell them from within the bag. The turquoise gem won't move and can't be sold, and all others are 1 gold now. I read that the gems are somehow related to something that happens in Baldur's Gate. So this might be intentional? Why only the turquoise though?

Correction: I can't move the turquoise, and not sell any of the gems (they aren't greyed out in shop and show as 1 gold value, but the Sell button is greyed out when they are selected.)

Comments

• DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87
    I had a similar issue with Firebead before the patch and I found that it was because he seems to only give the quest to Charname, and I was approaching him with my party leader (Jaheira in this case.) When I had Charname speak to him he gave me the quest. You've probably already tried that, but there it is.

I also had a similar problem with the gem bag, but I was able to move gems to and from the bag, and was just unable to sell them. I solved this by selecting all the gems at the merchant screen, and selecting an item that wasn't a gem that I could sell as well, ie when selling them at the Thunderhammer Smithy I selected all the gems along with a Medium Shield, and the sell button was then clickable and he bought all of them.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    The first might indeed be the case, I did not have charname as party leader and it didn't occur to me to change the slots, since NPCs can take all other quests. But it makes some sense, Firebead only knows charname (and Imoen, but she wasn't in the party anyway).

I managed to sell the gems the same way you did, along with random weapons I picked up. I first tried in Beregost/Thunderhammer and figured maybe it was changed so that he buys no gems anymore either (since he doesn't buy jewelry). I then picked up some random stuff on the way to Nashkel and there I was able to sell them with weapons selected. They still only give 1 gold, while other gems get the normal price.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013
    I suspect those gems are flagged as "quest items".

[SPOILER]
    In the city, near the Black Dragon Gate, Neera is accosted by a halfling. It turns out that she stole the gems from him. You can fight him or pay him off. I assume that if you haven't sold the gems you could return them to him.[/SPOILER]
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @Kidcarnival - I think this may relate to a problem with Firebeard's book/scrollcase quest in Beregost that came up in beta testing - the priblem was that Talking to Firebead in Candlekeep set the same variable as talking to him in Beregost, which prevented the Beregost quest initiating. This was logged in the bug tracker (by @Jalily ), and I thought a fix had made it into the 2014 release, but perhaps not.

BTW there is no longer any minimum party gold requirement to trigger Firebeard's book quest, but I think you still need to speak to him with either CHARNAME or Imoen (because they're both from Candlekeep). If the quest still doesn't trigger, it may be that the bug above is still an issue. If so, it is possible to manually reset the variable, so that you can complete the quest, though, in the console (ctrl-space, if you have enabled the console in your .ini file) type:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TalkedToFirebead", "GLOBAL", 0)

I didn't complete the quest in Candlekeep, I saw the temp fix after I had already left Candlekeep (much later - when I couldn't get the quest in Beregost). So it could be either - not having returned the scroll or not talking to him with charname. I'll try with charname as leader first, if that doesn't help, I console it.

The gems being quest items would explain why they are only worth 1 gold and not sellable on their own, but they stack with other gems (I found another of the golden egg-shaped one after attempting to sell them and put it in the bag out of habit) and it would be pretty stupid to not mark them as quest items in any other way. As it is, I can see a LOT people accidentally selling them when clearing out the bag.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I noticed two other bugs from this new patch. First, and this seems huge, the Dwarf has it's racial stat modifiers all messed up. While a Dwarf is supposed to have -1 Dex -2 Cha it seems now that the highest Dex you can have is 16 (-2) and the highest Cha is 15 (-3). I noticed this while trying to make a Dwarven Defender.

Secondly it seems they have fixed the clicking, recieving a voiced click response from a character, but the character not taking any action bug and replaced it with another. Now when I click on something that you can interact with such as a door, a zone threshold or an item on the ground sometimes the game will just send the party there instead of interacting with said item. So, instead of my PC moving to pick up some loot it makes the entire party move to where the loot was as if I had simply clicked the ground under the loot thereby making a "move to" command for my party. Weird.

I didn't complete the quest in Candlekeep, I saw the temp fix after I had already left Candlekeep (much later - when I couldn't get the quest in Beregost). So it could be either - not having returned the scroll or not talking to him with charname. I'll try with charname as leader first, if that doesn't help, I console it.

The variable is set even if you don't complete his quest in Candlekeep, it's set when you first talk to him, but as I said, I thought this had been fixed, so definitely try talking to him with CHARNAME or Imoen as leader.

The gems being quest items would explain why they are only worth 1 gold and not sellable on their own, but they stack with other gems (I found another of the golden egg-shaped one after attempting to sell them and put it in the bag out of habit) and it would be pretty stupid to not mark them as quest items in any other way. As it is, I can see a LOT people accidentally selling them when clearing out the bag.

This sounds like a "feature" rather than bug, but if these are quest items it would perhaps be helpful to indicate that these gems are different somehow and not to allow stacking with others

GoodSteve said:

I noticed two other bugs from this new patch. First, and this seems huge, the Dwarf has it's racial stat modifiers all messed up. While a Dwarf is supposed to have -1 Dex -2 Cha it seems now that the highest Dex you can have is 16 (-2) and the highest Cha is 15 (-3). I noticed this while trying to make a Dwarven Defender.

@GoodSteve - There's an overrride fix for this (and the new Halfling max 16 wisdom bug) here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/268122/#Comment_268122

Then it's likely the not-charname issue and not an actual bug. I played frontliners/leaders after the scroll case reward was added, so I didn't notice this before.

The gems clearly sound "feature", or better "quest". Other quest items are always greyed out in shop and show a value of 0 and/or have a name visible (and even with that, I often sell Perdue's sword...) I doubt I can ever stand Neera long enough to take her to Baldur's Gate (just barely managed to build up a tolerance to complete the Adoy quest), but I imagine people who do keep her in the party would want to complete that quest. I guess it's better with some hints now, but they are easily overlooked.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Oxford_Guy I can confirm that the Firebead fix did make it in.
    Jalily said:

@Oxford_Guy I can confirm that the Firebead fix did make it in.

Thanks for confirming @Jalily - I wonder why it's still being problematic for @KidCarnival though

Very likely what @Darrylson said. My previous charnames - priest of talos, jester, blackguard - were all party leaders and I never had any NPC talk to quest givers. This time, I play assassin and had Ajantis as party leader. I'll try once I get back home to play and post if that fixed it.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    I got another one - can't talk to Laurel north of the Gnoll Stronghold; "Laurel has nothing to say to you."
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I'm also having trouble with the firebead quest in candlekeep. Whenever I accept his quest and then speak to Tethoril he responds as if I have yet to pick up the quest, meaning I can never turn this one in... kinda annoying since he rewards you with a healing potion which can be very handy in those early areas.
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    @Sylvus_Moonbow I probably should have checked there first :|
    Talking to Firebead with charname as party leader did the trick.

Talking to Firebead with charname as party leader did the trick.

Great, sounds like the game is working as it should
    Yep. I looked through the reported bugs, and none of the other bugs (i.e. the weird reactions to loot or containers/doors) are nothing I experience. Guess I'm good, after all.