Skip to content

[Request] What should I study first for making my mod?

HooHoo Member Posts: 128
Hello, I'm now interested in making mod for BG:EE, especially classes/kits revisions/rebalancing, but I don't know what I should first learn for it.

I've heard several modding tools such as DLTCEP and Near Infinity... Could someone give me hints how to make such mod by using the tools?

Some reference would be welcome, too. :)

Comments

• TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I heartily recommend DLTCEP, as it's the only one that has been adjusted for BG:EE as far as I know.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/tools/dltcep.php

It's pretty intuitive, but don't hesitate to ask for help if you're struggling. :)
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    Tome said:

I heartily recommend DLTCEP, as it's the only one that has been adjusted for BG:EE as far as I know.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/tools/dltcep.php

It's pretty intuitive, but don't hesitate to ask for help if you're struggling. :)

Thank you for the information.

I tried to setup DLTCEP, but I met a error message which mentioned that dialog.tlk could not be found...

How should I setup correctly?

edited February 2013
    Which OS do you use?

If you know how to hardlink, hardlink the dialog.tlk in lang/en_us to Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766
    edited February 2013
    I use Windows 7.
    Fantastic, it's very easy to hardlink with windows 7.

Shift-right-click on the game folder in Explorer and choose 'Open command window here'. Once you're at the command prompt in your main directory, paste

mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

Full Credit to Camdawg for the easier way to hardlink.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2013
    There's a version of NI that has been partly adjusted. It's still in beta. Still trying to find the link I downloaded it from...

I was about to post the @camdawg link too :P. here it is anyways. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee/p1
    edited February 2013
    If this is his/her first time modding DLTCEP is probably more useful regardless. (more user friendly IMO and possibly more stable)

That said, I'd like to see that link too please. :) Might do a review and comparison between both editors at some point.
    Thank you for kind reply! It seems to work correctly now... By the way, I wonder which option should be checked for BG:EE. I selected 'game type' to BG II + TOB, and 'TOB specific' was the only checked option in this case. Do I need to check more options, e.g., Edit both tlk's, BG1 style dialogs, etc.?
    edited February 2013
    @Tome + @Hoo - the Near Infinity link is here. I'm not sure how I got that link in the first place.... but there it is. Also,, note the -dev in the name. It's still v1.0, it's just been tweaked for BG:EE.

And I personally find NI easier. Which considering I made a topic just like this one (requesting help for modding) that has not yet been replied to, should say how much of a 'n00b' I am.

NI puts the name to a lot more fields AND the valid options are drop-downs instead of things you have to just know so you know what you are messing with a little bit better.

Just my two cents :)
    I'm now trying to give Shadow Dancer having correct backstabbing multipliers and investigated KITLIST.2DA.

I noticed that the backstabbing table information for Shadow Dancer has correct value... But I know someone have reported the bug which apply wrong backstabbing multiplier for Shadow Dancer.

Which table or information should I check?
    edited February 2013
    Have you noticed the bug yourself? It's hard to fix things when you can't verify results.