Skip to content

(1)BG2 Twisted Rune, (2)Combat animation

LavarunnerLavarunner Member Posts: 4
1. Adding some lore would be nice about twisted rune or just expand the current side-quest.You know kick the party to Calimshan with another rogue stone or after the fight at bridge district agents of the Rune are hunting you down or making you an offer to work for one of the seven Masters (after all you just fought one hell of a battle and acquired the staff of the magi).

2. Maybe this goes to the bug/glitch section but here it goes anyway.When you enter the door that travels you where the agents of twisted rune are, the rogue stone in your inventory disappears (assuming you have one, otherwise you can't do the quest) and then the game makes the auto-save. If you load from the auto-save the rogue stone will not be in your inventory and the door will not open unless you have a second stone.I guess that can be fixed.

3. While in combat, a character's animation will not always be in sync with his actual round, meaning you will see him attacking but not making the attack roll. I know it was intended to look like that but I think it might be more appealing to the eyes seeing a character's attack animation only when he rolls one.

ps 1. I can't start a second discussion under the same category so I edited this one.
ps 2. Point 2 posted in bug section. Deleting it might make a confusion cause of comments below.
ps 3. : )
Post edited by Lavarunner on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Lavarunner

Yeah, point 2 should really go to the bugs section.
  • LavarunnerLavarunner Member Posts: 4
    Done.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I always had in mind that there was a conspiracy with the Twisted rune, or Illithids (never decided which would work better).

Suffice to say that in every major sidequest you will find at least one or more rogue stones. Coincidence that the Shadow Lord, Firkraag and maybe (I am not sure here) the planar prison guys all have the same stone, or maybe there is MORE behind the scenes of the game? Besides, the masters are seven right? And how many cowled figures appear in the end cinematic of Shadows of Amn? I know they might be bhaalspawn, but it would make more sense the other way around (a plot that was never developed in the end by BioWare)

Of course, I might be high on vitamin C right now, reason why I get my fantasy so up high in the sky, so sorry if I said anything bad XD
  • RyanRyan Member Posts: 14
    I always did wish there was a more in depth plot behind the twisted rune as well. The rune had such an odd assortment of races and those people+creatures seemed like some secret bosses of something... interesting.

@Cheesebelly that would be cool if they all were some secret gang but for what? Some big evil plan that the PC coincidentally foiled?
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 379
    I've gotta agree: there's a cool back story behind the twisted rune and the illithids and I think that would be something that BG2EE should explore. It would definitely be a high level adventure, higher than what BG2 normally is.
  • Elevating the importance of the Twisted Rune side quest, in terms of how it affects the rest of the Sword Coast, will only overshadow the main plotline(s). This side quest has gained popularity through obscurity and incompleteness. I would welcome a couple of new subtle hints regarding the existence of the group or even a 'cameo' appearance of a group member in another battle.

"A cameo can establish a character as being important without having much screen time.", from Wikipedia
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Tanthalas said:

@Lavarunner

Yeah, point 2 should really go to the bugs section.

This is fixed in the Fixpack, so it'll be ready for BG2EE.

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited July 2012
    I agree with all three of these. And, if I remember right, the Twisted Rune was going to be a series of quests but it got cut because of time restrictions. I THINK the Unfinished Business mod adds the quest line back in. I'm probably wrong on that account.

As for the third point, that always irritated me with Infinity Engine games. They do attack animations the whole time but you only ever get to roll/hit once if you're a cleric or whatever. That doesn't make any sense. Only when you've got 4 attacks per round or so do the rolls begin to line up with the animations. That is one reason I still absolutely adore Neverwinter Nights: rolls line up with the animations. It just bugs me when they don't.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    It's been some time, so I may remember it wrong, but I think it was kind of fixed in Baldurdash - it was tied to Nalia's quest - when you were searching for evidence that Isaea is dealing in slavery, the evidence would lead you to the Guarded Compound in Temple district, where after the fight you'd find a rouge stone and a letter implicating that there's another party of evil-doers stationed at the bridge district.
    I don't think it was ever expanded further who those 'people' were, what exactly were they doing or why.
    Once again, it's been a while, so I apologize if I'm spreading misinformation. ;)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    And then people complained that combat in nwn was too boring to watch till very high levels with lots of people standing around for a full 6 seconds between attacks, so in KotOR 1/2 and NWN2, they went back to using simulated combat rather then people just standing around waiting for their next attack. (NWN2 is especially bad since it rolls all your possible attacks at once...so horrible to watch).

Seriously, just turn the rolls off if it bugs you that much, it's not like seeing the results actually changes anything.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Since non-warriors usually only get 1 APR, I'd rather just see their fake swing animations. Otherwise I'd keep pausing to see if my cleric had adequately registered my attack command, for example.
    Syntia13 said:

It's been some time, so I may remember it wrong, but I think it was kind of fixed in Baldurdash - it was tied to Nalia's quest - when you were searching for evidence that Isaea is dealing in slavery, the evidence would lead you to the Guarded Compound in Temple district, where after the fight you'd find a rouge stone and a letter implicating that there's another party of evil-doers stationed at the bridge district.

Yeah, the Baldurdash take on the TR randomly stitched together a lot of unrelated stuff. I don't think it worked very well.

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I found this new bug the other day. If you put all you rogue stones outside the gem bag, when you enter the twisted rune area, all your rogue stones disappear! I lost 7 other rogue stones worth 10500 gold :(
    bbear said:

I found this new bug the other day. If you put all you rogue stones outside the gem bag, when you enter the twisted rune area, all your rogue stones disappear! I lost 7 other rogue stones worth 10500 gold :(

Guess what else BG2 Fixpack fixes!