Skip to content

Help Me Understand Shapeshifting (e.g. the Avenger's Fire Salamander Form)

Hi all. I've never played through with CHARNAME as a druid before and I've always noticed that Jaheira's shapeshifting into bears or a wolf is basically garbage so I don't have any experience shapeshifting. The Shapeshifter kit would be cool but seeing as it's so terribly nerfed and I hope to play into BGII, that's out. However, the Avenger looks like an interesting kit, with the new forms as melee possibilities since CHARNAME clearly wouldn't be taking on melee himself wearing leather and wielding a club.

That said, I don't quite understand the mechanics of shapeshifting. Does the shapeshifted form have the Thac0 and HP equivalent to my character's level? Do the number of attacks change, or will the spider always have the 4 attacks he has when you first get the ability to change?

Most importantly, what weapons are these forms attacking with? If I play through into BGII and ToB, will the shapeshifted forms become totally useless in melee against, say, Fire Giants, or tougher opponents that can only be hit by magical weapons? Or is that Fire Salamander's spear magical? Or does it get better over time? There just isn't enough info in the manual for me to answers these questions on my own so I'm hoping you can!

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013
    I can answer a few of these:

The Fire Salamander's weapon is not magical. (the Gnoll from Polymorph Self has a magic weapon.)

Shape shifted forms do not improve with level.

HP may change (up or down) if your new form changes your Con. Some forms also get bonus hp.

On the whole, shape shifting is not very good in the BG series.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I know there's an un-nerfed Shapeshifter form mod floating around out there. I used it with Cernd and it made him the most badass tank ever.

To answer some of your questions:

The forms use your HP, modified by the form's CON bonus, if any. It also uses your THAC0, modified by the form's STR bonus. The forms use their own creature weapons. But I think it also takes into account your weapon proficencies in the case of the Fire Salamander.

The forms don't get any better.

The Fire Salamander is hasted, has 50% fire resistance, and has 18/75 STR, 19 DEX, but only 15 CON. It can also breathe fire onto an enemy for a bit of damage 3x/day.

The Wyvern form has 16 STR, 17 DEX, and 16 CON. It attacks twice and can poison on a failed save vs. death. The poison does 1 damage per second for 1 round. The poison save doesn't proc every hit though.

I forget the stats of the spider, but it attacks 4 times per round for pitiful damage. Not sure if the attacks cause poison.
    edited February 2013
    I think the spider form gets free action, but not a poison attack.

The bay wyvern also gets bonus hp like the regular druid forms, and thus can be used to heal yourself.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited February 2013
    Except for the druid kit that allows you to become a greater werewolf (Sapheshifter kit) I have always found the shapeshifting feature rather underpowered, basically because it doesnt improve with levels. So, by mid and late game, it is useless
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    edited February 2013
    helmo1977 said:

Except for the druid kit that allows you to become a greater werewolf (Sapheshifter kit) I have always found the shapeshifting feature rather underpowered, basically because it doesnt improve with levels. So, by mid and late game, it is useless

As an Avenger you can cast web, shift to sword spider and have lots of free kills (combine it with another NPC with free action ring and you're set.)
  • Dux89Dux89 Member Posts: 47
    @Evinfuilt
    Yes but will this be a viable strategy against Bodhi's Lair in BG2?

If I'm taking this character through, it seems to me that people agree that shapeshifting basically stinks before long. Too bad; I would have enjoyed taking on Irenicus with a powerful spider who wasn't still doing non-magical dagger-esque damage with each hit.

Was the Shapeshifter kept nerfed by design?
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2013
    The Elemental shapeshift HLAs are quite strong. Not OP but ok.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    @Dux89

Well, at that time you'll have a bunch of chain lightning spells. So I'd expect you're not using the shapeshifts except for some filler (well and your deadly Chromatic Orbs.)
    Dux89 said:

Was the Shapeshifter kept nerfed by design?

Not specifically. Since shapeshifting forms don't change with level, it was set at a level that wouldn't be OP at the beginging of BG2. I.e. around level 9.

I assume there wasn't enough development time alocated to kits to rewrite shapshifting to scale with level.
    I mean the Greater Werewolf form that isn't in accordance with the abilities it is supposed to have.
    Again, a mixture of implementation, and being balanced around level 13.
    Sorry--I get that that was the original intent of the original game. My question was meant to refer to BG:EE; will the shapeshifter remain nerfed (ie. did it remain nerfed in the initial release on purpose) or do we know that it will get fixed (ie. they just didn't get around to unnerfing yet)?
    The Shapeshifter wasn't nerfed in the original release "on purpose". They didn't say "what this game needs is a really rubbish kit". They just when't allocated the resources to produce a better version.

The EE team have given no indication that they are interested in buffing underperforming kits. If they where, they would have done the Wizard Slayer first, which needs much much less work to fix.
    Sorry to necropost but I've been away awhile. The Shapeshifter isn't rubbish like the Wizard Slayer. It is literally nerfed from the stated statistics of the kit. The Werewolves do not have the listed bonuses/resistances/etc. It's an old problem, but I believe it was intentional originally--though I don't know why supporting materials listing their statistics weren't changed accordingly.

Again, different from the Wizard Slayer or the Beastmaster or other kits that just suck.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Dux89 said:

Sorry to necropost but I've been away awhile. The Shapeshifter isn't rubbish like the Wizard Slayer. It is literally nerfed from the stated statistics of the kit. The Werewolves do not have the listed bonuses/resistances/etc. It's an old problem, but I believe it was intentional originally--though I don't know why supporting materials listing their statistics weren't changed accordingly.

Again, different from the Wizard Slayer or the Beastmaster or other kits that just suck.

Where does it actually list the supposed benefits of the werewolf forms?
    TJ_Hooker said:

Dux89 said:

Where does it actually list the supposed benefits of the werewolf forms?
    It doesn't. There never has been a description of what the werewolf form is "supposed" to do in BG (as is the case for most shapeshifting in BG).

The argument that the werewolf is somehow "nerfed" is based on the stats for the forms being different from the stats for an actual werewolf.
    @TJ_Hooker
    Apparently the kit werewolf stats are not listed; I'm going off of the stats the all other werewolfs/greater werewolfs have. As Fardragon points out.

@Fardragon
    I see. I don't see how that warrants a "somehow 'nerfed'" when there is no info given, since I think it's more than reasonable to assume the form would behave as other werewolves do. But I see that it's always been intentional to make the kit's forms different from the other good werewolves in the game.
    You gotta apply common sense. You could hardly give out immunity to normal weapons at level 1. Which means that, as forms don't change with level, you can't have it at all.

Now, the best way to do the shapeshifter would have been to have the form gain power as you level up. I'm pretty sure the reason it wasn't done was down to insufficent development resources, not a desire to deliberately make a rubbish kit.
    @Fardragon
    Agreed that that would be the best way to handle it. Forms that don't change at all with new levels makes them unplayable no matter the form.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Dux89 said:

@Fardragon
    Agreed that that would be the best way to handle it. Forms that don't change at all with new levels makes them unplayable no matter the form.

Yes, that would be best - there's precedence for this, for example the way the Cleric Skeleton summons from Animate Dead now gets better as you level up.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Fardragon said:

Now, the best way to do the shapeshifter would have been to have the form gain power as you level up. I'm pretty sure the reason it wasn't done was down to insufficient development resources, not a desire to deliberately make a rubbish kit.

Agreed.

There are some mods which attempt to do this, by giving Druids better forms as they level up, just like their spells get better as they level up.
    I think the bit that would be potentially problamatic for the BG engine is removing the old version of werewolf form when a new one is gained.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Fardragon said:

I think the bit that would be potentially problamatic for the BG engine is removing the old version of werewolf form when a new one is gained.

Lay On Hands is an effect which changes every level.

The engine can handle it.
    edited March 2013
    Nifft said:

Fardragon said:

Lay On Hands is an effect which changes every level.

The engine can handle it.
    There is a difference between effects that improve with level, and swapping a power out for a different, improved version.

You could, for example, give the werewolf form +2% Magic resistence per level. However, if you wanted it to gain immunity to normal weapons at a certain level you would have to remove the old version of the power and give a new version. It's possible, but you would have to give the new version a different name, which would cause problems in scripts and elsewhere.