Skip to content

Disciple's Breath seems too narrow

MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
I was experimenting the my new Dragon Disciple's breath weapon, and it seems inconsistent and far too narrow as evidenced by these test shots:

I somehow thread the needle between Imoen and Rasaad here.

I miss Rasaad at point-blank range here.

Narrowly missing Neera here.

Inexplicably whiffing on Neera and Imoen to hit Rasaad here, despite them being almost perfectly lined up.

Observed behavior: The Dragon Disciple's breath weapon seems to have a large minimum range, as well as a very narrow area of effect.

Expected behavior: The kit's description promises a 140 degree cone, which is a very wide angle of fire damage, and makes no mention of a minimum range. Even if this was adjusted without being noted in the description of the kit, the existing angle is far too narrow to be effective.
TJ_Hooker

Comments

• DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited February 2013
    Disciple's Breath is a joke, once a day only and very low damage (maximum 8d8 level 18) :(

Dragon Disciple loses one spell per level. It is better to use level 9 spell Dragon's Breath (20d10)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    I disagree, it has potential to be quite useful. The above tests were inspired by the fact that, of all those kobold bodies my party is standing over, my Disciple only took out one of them with his breath weapon. But properly implemented, he would have killed them all. At level 3. In one shot.

It's a low-level ability, and on paper should be quite good for the level you get it at. Dragon's Breath is an EPIC LEVEL SPELL, if a kit's special abilities rivaled it that would be a problem. The two abilities shouldn't be compared.

And in any case, I'm not looking to discuss the kit's power level, I'm reporting a bug.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Madhax, during your testing/use of the DD's breath, did you notice whether or not it allows a save (and what kind of save)? And whether or not it bypasses magic resistance (I think I may have seen someone say it doesn't already, but I'm not sure)?

I think it would probably have some utility regardless, but if it doesn't allow a save that'd be pretty significant, and probably be worth a couple extra dice of damage in my mind.
    @TJ_Hooker
    I'm not sure how to view save rolls other than when people actually make their save, but in all of my tests I never saw someone save versus the damage. Seems like there is no save. I have no means in my current party to test magic resistance.

Also, a few more extreme test screenshots:

Two identical blasts both targeting Rasaad. One misses Neera, and both inexplicably miss Ajantis.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    Just remembered that I can easily check saves/magic resistance in NI. So there's definately no save, but it does not bypass magic resistance.

And yeah the area of effect looks pretty wonky.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    This is a problem with cone-shaped projectiles in general. It has been reported.
    Madhax
    That's unfortunate, I hope it's fixed soon. It's working like an inaccurate but powerful Agannazer's Scorcher at the moment.