Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Should Kensai get an AC buff?

2»

Comments

  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Fenghoang said:

    Well TBH, in the fiction (my exposure is mostly from movies), they have abilities that either border on the supernatural or are blatantly superhuman, so it's not a very fair comparison to real life (your Renaissance pistol vs modern riot gear comparison).

    For a more "western" and less supernatural comparison in fiction, if you've read ASOIAF, it would be kind of like Bronn vs Ser Vardis Egan (the knight of the Vale) in the first book. Actually, Syrio would probably be a more natural fit.

    In the context of BG, you don't really go into massive scale battles, but are confined to more small scale skirmishes. Also, as an adventurer (even in a fantasy setting), wandering around in full plate is silly. So I can imagine this class being a natural fit for an adventurer. A real life example would probably be any of those ronin in Japanese lore like Miyamoto Musashi.


    Anyway, I'm just saying that's what I imagined the kit was trying to emulate.

    Yeah I was thinking of those specific fight scenes from AGoT as well. Maybe if the system modeled fatigue better, the lightly-armored guy would be a more "sensible" archetype.

    It would indeed be silly to go wilderness exploring in fullplate, but it's what the game seems to expect you to do... ah, D&D.

  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190

    Bhaaldog said:

    Bhaaldog said:

    You'd run around in just your pants? Really?

    How do you think the Nature's Beauty spell works for certain characters...
    image
    My eyes they burn... They Burn!
    Well @Rhyme did say he liked his Kensai in pants...
    Yes he did!

    Is this one of those situations where I'm talking to a Brit and should have said "trousers"?

    Oxford_GuyEudaemonium
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Rhyme said:

    Bhaaldog said:

    Bhaaldog said:

    You'd run around in just your pants? Really?

    How do you think the Nature's Beauty spell works for certain characters...
    image
    My eyes they burn... They Burn!
    Well @Rhyme did say he liked his Kensai in pants...
    Yes he did!

    Is this one of those situations where I'm talking to a Brit and should have said "trousers"?
    Yes mate :-)

    Eudaemonium
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,131
    edited February 2013
    No armor. That's a bloody kensai:


    However, I do agree that they should get the monk animation!

    Fenghoang
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    Felspawn said:

    Anyone who say Kensai "suck" has no idea what thy are talking about. While they were designed with BG2 in mind they are fine in BG1

    in regards to the the suggestions regarding upgrading the kensai in Bgee? yeah it sucks to suck. kensai is pretty awful at early levels. Kensai does suck in BG1. They should receive NOTHING additional. they get their dues later NOT in Bg1

    so yes a Kensai sucks in BG1. you cant even argue against it. they are frail and would be torn to shreds by any other fighter in BG1. (not talking about Bg2). did i mention Im talking about BG1?

    DJKajuru
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    What is the difference between a kensai with the shield amulet, a pile of throwing axes, and any other fighter? Anyone who thinks a Kensai sucks in BG1 either thinks all fighters suck or really isn't trying.

    Oxford_Guy
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013

    Felspawn said:

    Anyone who say Kensai "suck" has no idea what thy are talking about. While they were designed with BG2 in mind they are fine in BG1

    in regards to the the suggestions regarding upgrading the kensai in Bgee? yeah it sucks to suck. kensai is pretty awful at early levels. Kensai does suck in BG1. They should receive NOTHING additional. they get their dues later NOT in Bg1

    so yes a Kensai sucks in BG1. you cant even argue against it. they are frail and would be torn to shreds by any other fighter in BG1. (not talking about Bg2). did i mention Im talking about BG1?
    I don't think he was talking about how the Kensai compares to other fighers in BG1. I think he just meant that a Kensai can still be effective in combat if you know what you're doing.

    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Felspawn
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    TJ_Hooker said:


    I don't thing he was talking about how the Kensai compares to other fighers in BG1. I think he just meant that a Kensai can still be a effective in combat if you know what you're doing.

    What is the difference once you get the shield amulet? Not much.

  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    AHF said:

    TJ_Hooker said:


    I don't thing he was talking about how the Kensai compares to other fighers in BG1. I think he just meant that a Kensai can still be a effective in combat if you know what you're doing.

    What is the difference once you get the shield amulet? Not much.
    Yeah, but that still involves using a temporary buff, and even then it only gets them on the same level as other fighters. In my mind if one character has to use a buff just to break even with another character, then the first character is at least somewhat inferior to the second. But of course that doesn't necessarily mean the first character is ineffective in general.

    AHF
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,131
    The kensai tactic is to always have him attack after the others - while the gnolls attack khalid you just have the kensai cut them from the flanks.

  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    DJKajuru said:

    The kensai tactic is to always have him attack after the others - while the gnolls attack khalid you just have the kensai cut them from the flanks.

    This is how I use my Blade too

  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    TJ_Hooker said:

    AHF said:

    TJ_Hooker said:


    I don't thing he was talking about how the Kensai compares to other fighers in BG1. I think he just meant that a Kensai can still be a effective in combat if you know what you're doing.

    What is the difference once you get the shield amulet? Not much.
    Yeah, but that still involves using a temporary buff, and even then it only gets them on the same level as other fighters. In my mind if one character has to use a buff just to break even with another character, then the first character is at least somewhat inferior to the second. But of course that doesn't necessarily mean the first character is ineffective in general.
    I agree with that assessment. The amulet is so easy to get and so cheap to recharge that I view it as a pretty low hurdle. Having a -4 AC against missiles before you even hit Nashkel is not a bad thing.

    TJ_HookerOxford_Guy
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749

    Felspawn said:

    Anyone who say Kensai "suck" has no idea what thy are talking about. While they were designed with BG2 in mind they are fine in BG1

    in regards to the the suggestions regarding upgrading the kensai in Bgee? yeah it sucks to suck. kensai is pretty awful at early levels. Kensai does suck in BG1. They should receive NOTHING additional. they get their dues later NOT in Bg1

    so yes a Kensai sucks in BG1. you cant even argue against it. they are frail and would be torn to shreds by any other fighter in BG1. (not talking about Bg2). did i mention Im talking about BG1?
    Are you talking about BG1?! :) Mele fighters can be relatively easy owned by casters in BG1 in mid to late chapters. Or maybe not? Hm. Too many variables.

  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

    Felspawn said:

    Anyone who say Kensai "suck" has no idea what thy are talking about. While they were designed with BG2 in mind they are fine in BG1

    in regards to the the suggestions regarding upgrading the kensai in Bgee? yeah it sucks to suck. kensai is pretty awful at early levels. Kensai does suck in BG1. They should receive NOTHING additional. they get their dues later NOT in Bg1

    so yes a Kensai sucks in BG1. you cant even argue against it. they are frail and would be torn to shreds by any other fighter in BG1. (not talking about Bg2). did i mention Im talking about BG1?
    I don't thing he was talking about how the Kensai compares to other fighers in BG1. I think he just meant that a Kensai can still be a effective in combat if you know what you're doing.
    I'm pretty sure he doesnt know what hes doing, hes assuming that you use the kensai like a blunt weapon as you would other fighter kits or like a kensai mage when he can buff his defenses and act as a tank. The rest of us will understand the truth.

  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    nope, the bonuses are too great, you will eventually reach max level in ToB(if you complete everything)

    he has infinite Thac0 he only misses if he rolls 1 no matter tha target

    and the +10 damage is INSANE, if you use Whirlwind attack you deal over 300 damage in a single round,since your hits do like 40 damage each (grandmastery+22 str+ weapon+kensai bonus)

    imagine a kensai with flail of the ages,belt of fire giant strenght and whirlwind,everything dies in 2 round max,if you can tank too the kensai will be unbeatable in mellee even by dragons and such...

    DJKajuru
  • Kensai
    dex 18 (19 or 20)
    a bard follower that cast ghost armor on you and use bard song on the party (actually if you play multiplayer than Skald and Kensai are deadly combonation)

    use magical Schimitar that gives you ac bonus in BG1
    put point and Use One handed style
    and wholllllaaa you have super duper low AC ... problem solved

  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Kensai are an awesome class kit to play
    they are more finesse kit
    not for everyone
    great as single or duel
    but I agree that they they should receive a small AC boost ,but not the ability to where any type of armor
    maybe at half the rate monks get a armor class boost
    their AC would be at 0 at about level 30

  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,131
    I don't know if the game mechanics allow it, but he could lose his bonuses if wearing armor - that way you 're able to drop his ac in case of necessity.

  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I used Near infinity to change my Kensai's model to the Monk one. Looks much better.

  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,131

    I used Near infinity to change my Kensai's model to the Monk one. Looks much better.

    I did it to kensai/mage once!

Sign In or Register to comment.