Skip to content

The sign of the cross

Why is there a cross sign at the entrance to the Hall of Wonders? There is no Jesus in FR, so what does this sign denote here?

Not accurate title, I know, but I love the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoxwjLdNmXc

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    The same sign crops up in front of the temple of Oghma in Candlekeep.

I guess Oghma's designers were particularly unimaginative?
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Cross is an ancient symbol. Subconscious archetype metaphor. Each plank represents chaos and order respectively, with the wheel of time circling the crossing planks. The world left hanging, or crucified in the center. Eternal opposition produces the friction which moves us through time so to speak. Very apt for Oghma worshipers in my opinion.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Many symbols have been recycled many, many times. In both reality and fiction, its easy to find symbols across a variety of cultures that have no commonality.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    atcDave said:

Many symbols have been recycled many, many times. In both reality and fiction, its easy to find symbols across a variety of cultures that have no commonality.

And some that do share commonality. ;)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Yeah, you are right but I was asking if it denotes something in Forgotten Realms, something in particular in FR's context. Oghma's symbol is a blank scroll but that could be too, I guess.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I suppose if you really have to come up with a plausible explanation that has absolutely no connection to real world symbolism, I suppose it could be argued that a cross is a very simple symbol, and it's just a coincidence that it happens to also mean something in FR.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I think the cross is artistic license, likely to cue players in that the area is a temple.