Skip to content

Who should be the ruler of the Seven kingdoms?

LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
edited February 2013 in Off-Topic
As the third season of Game of Thrones launches soon, I'll want to start some conversation about the current situation in the television series where 5 kings are at war against each other. So if you have read books beyond the second one, pls don't spoil.

So who do you think is the rightful king of Westeros? Who would be the best monarch and why?

And here are our candidates:
  1. Who should be the ruler of the Seven kingdoms?52 votes
    1. Joffrey Baratheon
        5.77%
    2. Tywin Lannister
      13.46%
    3. Robb Stark
        3.85%
    4. Stannis Baratheon
        7.69%
    5. Renly Baratheon
        3.85%
    6. Daenerys Targaryen
      34.62%
    7. Balon Greyjoy
        0.00%
    8. Cercei Lannister
        0.00%
    9. Some other (please specify)
      30.77%

Comments

• LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    I think Tywin would make an excellent king. He has acted as a hand of king for 20 years so he knows how to rule the kingdoms. He is also the wealthiest man in the realms and well respected. He is not a man of honour, but can solve problematic situations effectively with his cunning and intelligence.

Tywin for the king!
    KidCarnival
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited February 2013
    Jon Snow is missing from your list. <- Him! won't say why!
    AristilliusCrevsDaak
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    ive read all the books so i won't spoil anything for you. from an objective standpoint i do agree, it seems that tywin would make the most objective ruler, with experience and maturity. the other choices are either too immature or too petty or too single minded to rule westeros well
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    I do have read all the books but I thought that everybody haven't.

Jon Snow doesn't seem to be quite realistic candidate at the moment because he is sworn to serve the night's watch (executed if runs away) and he is not raised to lordship. I guess Ned Stark mainly taught Robb to rule and not his other children. But Jon is a kind person and just, which are virtues for a king.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Jon or 'Young Griff'.
    Both have virtuous qualities and potentially rightful claims.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    though if ned stark was on that list i would have voted for him
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited February 2013
    Nevermind... you say the upcoming season 3.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    I can't in good conscience say who I'd vote for or why I'd vote for them, because I'm strongly anti-spoiler, no matter how minor. I'm not even comfortable with what's already been said by those above me.

If you've read the books, toss out a spoiler warning and open this discussion up to all sorts of possibilities. As it is, we're pretty crippled in what we can say without giving things away.
    Cuv
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    I'm surprised there´s only one vote for the only rightful heir available: Daenerys Targaryen! Unfortunately you can't even play her in the game of thrones mod for CK2.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Renly or Tywin, granted I only know about them via the tv show, not the books.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Daenarys is the only choice for me. Rightful heir to the throne before that fat rebel chased her out of her own country.
    The Dragon for queen!
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Jon Snow
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Renly died in season 2.
    SirK8
    Awong124 said:

Renly died in season 2.

I'm aware, but the question was who should rule, not who can. :P

Incidentally you might want to spoiler tag that.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Some other:
    the Others, are the coolest:]
    edited March 2013

Awong124 said:

Renly died in season 2.

I'm aware, but the question was who should rule, not who can. :P

Incidentally you might want to spoiler tag that.
    The original post is about going into season 3, which would assume readers would know what happened up until then. So spoiler tag shouldn't be necessary. The OP also asked not to spoil if you've read beyond the second book.
    Post edited by Awong124 on
    elminster
    @Awong124 My mistake then. But I've only watched the show, for all I know in one of the later books Renly is reborn as a beautiful White Stag.

@Awong124 My mistake then. But I've only watched the show, for all I know in one of the later books Renly is reborn as a beautiful White Stag.

Or a green stag.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Awong124 said:

Or a green stag.
    You mean black Stig?
    Awong124
    Grieg said:

Awong124 said:

Or a green stag.
    You mean black Stig?
    Or white Stig.
    Grieg
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2013
    Sam and Gilly
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    I've been a Targaryen supporter ever since!
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    The way the books are being written it seems to me that the author is making it so that Dany is going to end up the one to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and sitting her ass on the iron throne.

The threat of the white walkers is looming ever closer, and Dany is building up her powerbase across the sea in Mereen. I think when the Seven Kingdoms are tearing themselves apart and struggling to unite against the white walkers from the north beyond the wall that she will return on her dragons at the head of a huge host from the east.

So my vote is for Dany.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'm not sure I'd wish the kingship of the Seven Kingdoms on anyone! There's also a significant attrition rate of ASOIAF characters. More than half the voting options are "late" as of the most recent book!

Dany +/- Jon Snow would be the obvious outcome, but GRRM has managed to avoid the obvious so far. Of all the currently living characters I think Mance Rayder (king beyond the wall) might do the best job of it. He's got no claim, but he is smart, charming, pragmatic and puts the needs of his people first.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The White Walkers, no doubt about it. They will abolish the rotten monarchy and finally establish the long overdue necropoleis of winter. Every dead has the right to vote in the democracy of the White Walkers.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I voted for Robb because...

Not so much a spoiler since this happened in the second season of the TV series.

He's dead. However, I believe an undead ruler is exactly what the Seven Kingdoms needs. So raise him from the dead already! :D
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    No-one's mentioned Tyrion yet! He's smart, capable, and we've seen that when he has power he is generally benevolent and fairly effective. People hated him for who he was, but he prevented his city being taken and raised the money he was tasked with raising.

Tyrion is also just about the only person (Varys aside) capable of playing games of power and intrigue to match Littlefinger. While Littlefinger is powerful and very, very clever he has torn the nation apart to advance himself, and caused the butchery of tens of thousands.

Tyrion is also currently the legitimate male-line heir to Casterly Rock and the biggest fortune in Westeros. Jaime while dashing and older did renounce his claim with his Kingsguard vows.
    Kamigoroshi
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013
    Tyrion, he is the god of tits and wine ... who will not praise him :P
    CrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Me.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Because she...

- Single-handedly takes an entire army.
    - Has managed to raise 3 dragons who view her as a mother
    - Captured a city with 3 men
    - Led a people across a desolate desert
    - Listens to her advisers when it is wise and ignores them when it is not.
    - Has an army who follows her out of loyalty rather than duty or cash.