Skip to content

A poll on NPC's from BG1 who were unjustly left out of BG2 (For BG2EE)

DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
Would you want to see NPC's who didn't make it into BG2 EE, even as story devices, available in Amn at the Copper Coronet to take with you on your journey...no new voice acting maybe, but with some new written dialog, and interactions with other NPC's.

Letting Shar-Teel, Alora, and so on a chance to shine again in a party.

(Bear in mind that in situations where they're non-playable like Garrick and Ajantis they'd just leave the ball where it lies, this would just be for folks who make NO appearances so that it's not going to conflict with anything)

Also with dual-classable cases like Shar-Teel maybe they could let you choose through dialog or from importing your old game from BGEE whether or not she duals and at what level. Etc.
  1. A poll on NPC's from BG1 who were unjustly left out of BG2 (For BG2EE)108 votes
    1. Heck YES! I would love to be able to mix it up and have some more options with characters I miss from BG1! Make it so Jean Luc Picard!
      61.11%
    2. Nah. I'm fine with not having any options for a straight thief. Ever. Really.
        6.48%
    3. Didn't I kill all of them last time around? Why are they still alive?!
        6.48%
    4. I only solo the game and don't care. Blah Blah Blah.....
        0.00%
    5. I think the new NPC's will be fine enough. *Crosses fingers*
      25.93%

Comments

• DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Theres a few id love to see fleshed out more in BG2 especially Shar teel, Xzar and Kagain that said I dont see this as likely, especially in Xzars case which in my opinion was just a waiste of one of the more entertaining NPC's from the intial title.
    DebaserKidCarnival
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Though I'd give an arm and a leg for Xzar and Montaron, respectively, and know that's not possible nor the question... Yes, absolutely. If I had to pick only one, I'd say Shar-Teel because she's evil and BG2 lacks of evil NPCs, and because she's versatile due to the ability to dual to thief. Kagain already has a Captain Ersatz in Korgan, so having both would be a bit much. But maybe Yeslick would be nice for people who want a good-aligned cleric who doesn't whine about wings or is an egomanic jerk.
    DebaserFafnir[Deleted User]
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Done properly, I would love to see this.

And if they want to go back and include some not-originally-joinable-but-perfectly-logical-to-be-in-BG2 characters (*cough* HUSAM *cough*) then that would be enjoyable as well.
    Debaser
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited February 2013
    @redline @KidCarnival @DetroitRedWings25

I just think it'd be fine to include dialog even without additional voice acting, they did it with the new NPC's and some of the old ones...Neera and Edwin especially were great...Coran and Alora would be good because they're so late in the game in BG1, and Shar-Teel is a really fun character to have even with with minimal voice acting. Yeslick and Branwen could be easy to bring back. I'd eve n like to see Kagain so you could have him AND Korgan in the same party being a couple of evil greedy Dwarves.

If I could get Xzar I would, I know Monty suffers from a bad fate, but it'd be cool to have the option to keep Xzar at least. I just feel that at least some of these characters could come back without too much effort so why not?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Branwennnnnn!

Don't think it's very likely we'll see more of the old crew, but certainly would like it if we did. I just hope that whatever new companions they cook up for BGII:EE will also be added to BG:EE.

Not sure how limited they are on adding the old cast as companions... might not be limited much seeing as adding them would be "new content" if they're not there in the first place, which they're not. Keep meaning to make a thread on that... bah, in the morning when I can think straight ^^
    edited February 2013
    I would be happy with unvoiced lines only, if I could get my BG1 party back. For evil, the only new addition is Sarevok - very, very late - and Korgan is suspiciously similar to Kagain. Other than that, I only have Viconia and Edwin. It would be great to get at least one more old comrade, for a bit more continuity.

Charname wakes up in the dungeon with Imoen, Minsc, (sort of) Khalid and Jaheira around, so it's implied they (and Dynaheir) were with charname during BG1. As evil charname, I didn't have any of them when BG1 ended (or even before), and it's more likely I'd have a fiercy loyal warrior like Shar-Teel around.
    (Edwin running when things get bad makes sense, especially considering where Tiax ended up and that he's likely an outcast from the Red Wizards; same for Viconia trying to stay out of sight and keep a low profile as a drow.)

I'd love it if depending on charname's alignment, they'd wake up in the dungeon with different NPCs (Imoen always included for story reasons) - good aligned as it is; evil with Shar-Teel instead of Minsc (and you break her out by provoking her with "no wonder you're in a cage, you're a weak woman") and Eldoth instead of Jaheira (with Skie being dead instead of Khalid to keep up the 'killed partner' theme), and neutral with Branwen instead of Minsc (Jaheira is neutral, so that fits).
    They'd leave for good if you dismissed them, and each alignment would only get the according NPCs; the "unused" ones wouldn't happen to stand outside.
    DebaserIecerint
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I agree with @Debaser's point in the OP that they can't go mucking about with NPCs who already have a non-playable cameo (or a known fate) in BG2, because that's part of the original content - so there can be no return for Khalid, Dynaheir, Montaron, Xzar, Coran, Safana, Faldorn, Garrick or Ajantis.

But Alora would be an excellent option, and Shar-Teel is a plausible idea too. I suppose there's no inherent original-content reason why we couldn't also have some of the others, but I see less gameplay-reason for it in other cases.
    Debaser
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I love KC's idea.
  • I want to be able to resurrect Dynaheir and Safana... I mean if we can resurrect a little boy and a Cat in BG so why can't we save and resurrect Dynaheir and Safana in BG2 Story wise.... we know why we can't resurrect Yoshimitsu cuz that story of BG2... but Dynaheir and Safana should be resurrectable speacially in Safana case... i mean she get killed in front of you when the werewolf dubble cross her...
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am happy with the new NPCs and we know there will be at least one more Evil female NPC when Baldur's Gae2:EE comes out
    would like to see more banter and character development with the new NPCs
    We can't resurrect Yoshimitsu because he has unlimited lives... in a different universe.
    Fafnir
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Yeslick, where are you?
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I would love to see these characters brought back, not sure it will/can happen though due to contracts. I am hoping that Beamdog gets a bit more leeway with BG2 due to the success of BGEE, but knowing the way that companies work, I doubt they will.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    So you're saying that Yoshimo is gay...
    [Deleted User]
  • kajeliskajelis Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at all these options and I see that they are all biased in that you want to have all the other NPC's in the game anyway and make the no options sound like we are missing out on something. I won't choose any of these answers, but I liked BG2 the way it was, if they are going to add a NPC then maybe another thief.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    ALORA!!!!!!

yeh id like alora back in the group or maybe she could get a cameo was dissapointed you never get to see her again
    Delvarian
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Biased poll is biased.
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    i can't say that i care,none of the BG 1 npc's touched me,why?because it's a worse game compared to SoA, the npcs are not developped in a similar fashion,they just follow you around for no apparent reason.
  • Bhaaldog said:

I have mixed feelings about this. If you could bring back anyone it just makes their deaths meaningless.

What I would have liked to have seen though in ToB is the ability to summon anyone (still alive) whom you travelled with. That would have been epic.

Yes but still we need pure Thief for BG2 EE

*Safana Aligmen C.N (that means she can be in evil, neutral or good party) Excellent Chose cuz she has seducers personality and would bring aloot of depths comments and other stuff with the hero and other party member..... and she dies infron of you so it's easy to resurrect

*Ski is is another good chose... but she come in pair with Eldoth... so Eldoth need to die or something as all of other pairs in BG2 story.

The ladys man Coran is another excellent Thief to have around...
    Debaser
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I'd much rather see Beamdog develop new NPCs than see them try to awkwardly shoehorn the old ones in.
    OzzyBotkins
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    So:

A) I'd bet it won't happen.
    B) I don't see a "Need" to alter the game that significantly, but it would be nice.
    C) "If" they were to do it, I'd love to have Xzar, Montaron and Tiax (who currently appear) be playable.

But all in fun and fantasy, sure! it would be great to have some of the old favorites back.
    Debaser
    DJKajuru said:

So you're saying that Yoshimo is gay...

@DJKajuru

I have no idea what Yoshimo's sexuality is, nor would it offend me if he was a homosexual. I'm saying Yoshimo dies. And then after that there are not many options for a thief who can continue to grow his/her powers outside of Jan, or Sarevok if you Dual him in ToB.

Most of these characters who would not be dead already, or used in story devices like Ajantis who is killed, or Faldorn...or Garrick, Etc. Would simply just be in the Copper Coronet. Maybe some light dialog would be written, and no they wouldn't be as impactful as Yoshimo, but you would have history, and therefore they would join you.

I am happy with the new NPCs and we know there will be at least one more Evil female NPC when Baldur's Gae2:EE comes out
    would like to see more banter and character development with the new NPCs

@OzzyBotkins

I understand that, and they will obviously be spending a lot of time on new banters. If you read my post thoroughly I'm not trying to raise the dead, or get back anyone used in a plot device. Nor take time away from new characters. I merely wish to see a few characters who are left unused available with minimal written dialogs (again no voice acting needed, nor a lot of attention to detail) at the Copper Coronet. Mainly to give people a few more options, especially with Thieves, Multi-Class Thieves, etc.

Shar-Teel, who can dual, Alora, Coran...etc. And characters like Kivan and Kaigen (whom you maybe don't inlude due to Korgon, etc. But it's not hurting anybody), these are potentially members a player would have partied with, and they all add some flexibility to a potential party.
    edited February 2013

i can't say that i care,none of the BG 1 npc's touched me,why?because it's a worse game compared to SoA, the npcs are not developped in a similar fashion,they just follow you around for no apparent reason.

@bill_zagoudis

Well...if available modders can add to dialog over time, making older characters just as fun and in depth as the new NPC's just by being available. I also invite you to read a few more of my more recent posts because while I agree that SoA was better in terms of depth it seriously lacked Thieves in particular and forced a lot more linear gameplay that otherwise would have been more open from most party makeups. A flaw that I think people misconstrue against the seemingly open first game progression.
    Fardragon said:

Biased poll is biased.

@Fardragon

If the poll had been biased I would not have included funny but real alternatives to the original post. The poll is designed to make you think about it logically within a certain set of parameters. And to make you laugh a bit. Also a lot of people seem to be in favor of the idea!
    Bhaaldog said:

I have mixed feelings about this. If you could bring back anyone it just makes their deaths meaningless.

What I would have liked to have seen though in ToB is the ability to summon anyone (still alive) whom you travelled with. That would have been epic.

@Bhaaldog

I'm not saying you can bring back anyone, just that some NPC's who are not used in story devices like Faldorn/Garrick/Ajantis/Qualye/Tiax, etc. Who are also not used at all...could be with some light dialog, included in the Copper Coronet and available for use. Which on top of any new NPC's would really add a lot of variety, especially in the thief department. Though Kivan and Kaigen might be redundant., etc. But I really like the idea of bringing back Alora / Shar-Teel / Coran.

I'd much rather see Beamdog develop new NPCs than see them try to awkwardly shoehorn the old ones in.

@Luigirules

The idea would be that you bring some of the back with as little means of "shoehorning" anything as possible. Light touches for variety.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Debaser said:

Fardragon said:

Biased poll is biased.

@Fardragon

If the poll had been biased I would not have included funny but real alternatives to the original post. The poll is designed to make you think about it logically within a certain set of parameters. And to make you laugh a bit. Also a lot of people seem to be in favor of the idea!
    You don't know much about poll design if you don't realise that including the word "unjustly" in one of your options (in larger sized letters, no less) renders your poll completly invalid.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2013
    Fardragon said:

You don't know much about poll design if you don't realise that including the word "unjustly" in one of your options (in larger sized letters, no less) renders your poll completly invalid.

There's got to be a joke in what you said there somewhere about Obama and Fox News.
    Debaser