Skip to content

Request: Monk Robes

while its assumed that the Monks are a less gear dependant class its still a little disappointing that there is so little a monk can equip. it would be nice, especially since there is now a monk NPC and several new Kits, to introduce gear that is worthwhile to the monk. maybe if robes that add AC are considered too strong maybe make ones that improve their steath, or some other aspect of their performance.
Neonfisk

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited February 2013
    I always kind of figured it would be nice if the monk could wear mage robes--at least the basic ones.

The problem being that the monk has no animation for anything other than "unarmored", so you'd basically just be looking at a color change.

Here's the thing, though: even if you let the monk wear archmage robes, the bonus from the robe doesn't stack with the monk's bonus from levels to AC. If you're a level 9 monk wearing robes of the good archmagi, your AC doesn't improve at all.

So I would personally be fine with letting them wear robes. Consider this idea scavenged for my mods. ;)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Mage robes aside, what about monk-only robes with offensive-oriented stats or special abilities? As I understand it, the only reason monks can't already wear mage robes is that they're specifically mage-only, but since robes don't count as armor, lifting their class restriction or making them monk-only should work as far as programming is concerned, right?

Basic monk robes could be as simple as +1 to damage with fist weapons. More advanced monk robes could grant x-per-day abilities, like more stunning blows or perhaps some of the special moves that Balthazaar breaks out in ToB.
    TJ_Hooker
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    I like this idea. Maybe a robe that protecs from critical hits since monks can't use helmets?
    TJ_HookerMadhaxAnton
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Nice idea, @Neonfisk!
    Basic protection against critical hits in the form of non-magical monk robes available early would go a long way to making low-level monks less terrible.
    Neonfisk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you want to create some robes of your own, you can; in Near Infinity, grab one of the existing mage robes (any of them will do) and just uncheck "Monk" in the "Unusable By" line. You can make a copy of the item to change it to something else by altering the ability effects for the item, and then just make sure you add it to a store (.sto) or creature's drop inventory (.cre).