Originally posted by Ardanis here
In ToB's engine these script actions, when performed by a creature other than party member, fill the creature's inventory slots in the following order:
1) magic weapon slot (38th in CRE format)
2) last inventory slot (37th)
3) pre-last inventory slot (36th)
Slots should be filled in the order:
1) last inventory slot (37th)
2) pre-last inventory slot (36th)
etc., i.e. ignoring the "magic weapon" slot.
Otherwise it is possible to take an item and then destroy it by casting Melf's Minute Meteors or similar spells.