Skip to content

[Mod Idea]Shapeshifter - Help Required

HooHoo Member Posts: 128
edited March 2013 in General Modding
Hello, I'm now considering making mod for revising Druid kits. The druidic spells, of course, should be the list of revisions but that is out of scope until finishing kit revisions itself.

I'd want to discuss idea about my approach, and any comments would be welcome. The first kit is Shapeshifter. The concept refers to AD&D Druid's HandBook. The brief description is as below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHAPESHIFTER: Shapeshifter masters shapechanging powers at a lower experience level than other druids. This ability takes a special gift and intense training. Shapeshifter gains a great variety of forms, transforms a portion of body, and shapeshifts more frequently than the other druids.

Advantages:
- May shapeshift partially, inward and outward respectively, once every 2 levels (starts at 1st level with one use).

SHAPESHIFT (SHAPESHIFTER): Shapeshift a portion of body into an animal form. This shapeshifting is separated into two types; inner shapeshift and outer shapeshift. The partial shapeshifting allows casting spells while shapeshifting though Shapeshifter may suffer penalty to spellcasting speed. Turning back into human form or shapeshifting another animal form, however, doesn’t heal small amount of HP anymore. Shapeshifting forms grow more powerful with the Druid’s level.

- Receives a +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Petrifaction/Polymorph.

Disadvantages:
- May not wear armor heavier than hide.
- Cannot shapeshift into the other animal forms.
- Suffers a 1point penalty to spellcasting speed while shapeshifting (cumulative)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the summary of advantages of each Inner/Outer Shapeshifting form are as follows.

INNER SHAPESHIFT
BEAR’S INDUARANCE: CON bonus (HP boost), resistance to slashing/crushing/piercing/missile damage, HP regeneration
CAT’S GRACE: DEX bonus, APR bonus, movement speed bonus, AC bonus
BULL’S STRENGTH: STR bonus, THAC0/damage bonus, physical penetration (slashing/crushing/piercing/missile)

OUTER SHAPESHIFT
TIGER’S CLAW: 1D12, bleed effect, slashing
SNAKE’S FANG: 1D6, poison effect, piercing
ELECTRIC EEL’S TAIL: 1D8, shock effect, crushing

As you can imagine, Inner Shapeshifitng gives innate ability (passive) and Outer Shapeshifting gives Paw-like ability that replaces current equipped weapon. All of the shapeshifting, of course, grows more powerful with the druid's level. One inner shapeshifting and one outer shapeshifting can be maintained simultaneously.

I actually plan giving +stats bonus to Inner Shapeshifting instead of fixed stats as traditional shapeshifting forms did, and want to give more characteristics/unique effects for each outer shapeshifting.

The design goal is to provide the most adaptive melee combat ability to Shapeshfiter in Druids, by allowing mixing animal's powers according to the situation/requirement.

I would really appreciate any advise! Thank you!

Several questions are as follows:

1. Should I give relatively shorter duration for the shapeshifting than the traditional shapeshifting?

2. Should I give more benefit to each inner shapeshift, i.e., giving two stats boost bonus istead of 1 (Bear: STR+CON, CAT: STR+DEX, BULL: CON+DEX... something like that)?
Post edited by Hoo on

Comments

• DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013
    Sounds nice, sadly I have no modding skills for BG.
    I hope you find someone who helps you.
    Maybe Requiem from the BGEE Kitpack Mod.
    This would be a great replacement for the default Shapeshifter.
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    Darkersun said:

Sounds nice, sadly I have no modding skills for BG.
    I hope you find someone who helps you.
    Maybe Requiem from the BGEE Kitpack Mod.
    This would be a great replacement for the default Shapeshifter.

Thank you for the kind reply! I'm now studying making mod myself so I'll start modding as soon as I can.

Why I posted this is that I'd like to discuss and listen some opinions about the design. Any feedback/suggestion/comment would be welcome!