Skip to content

Cavaliers should be immune to the spell Cloudkill

So the other day, Gregor the Cavalier was ambushed by amazon women. Normally, this would be the beginning of a wonderful event, but it ended in tragedy. Gregor charged to draw all of their attacks away from his allies, and ended up getting held by a spell and then beaten on mercilessly! The party knew they could not save him in time, so the mage reached into her scroll bag and found a Cloudkill scroll. She asked the cleric for wisdom, "Soooo, he's immune to poison, right?". The cleric replied, "Yes, years of training to fight fiends from the Abyss has made him immune to poison!". Then the mage said, "Okay...because it says here that this spell will kill the weak with a toxic, poisonous gas. So here it goes!"

It killed all of the amazon women and Gregor!

Please correct this! Gregor did not spend the best years of his life drinking progressively stronger vials of demon blood to build up his immune system for nothing!

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    This came up before, and there was some debate over whether or not this was a bug. Some people argued that it was, for the obvious reason that Cavaliers are described as being immune to poison. Others argue that it wasn't a bug, as in their minds said immunity onlys protect from being poisoned (i.e. the status effect, like when you fail your saving throw fighting spiders), rather poison damage itself (there is a distinct effect in the game called "poison resistance" which allows you to resist a portion of poison damage, the same way fire resistance allows you to resist fire damage). See here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13141/cavaliers-not-immune-to-cloudkill

I don't really have an opinion on whether or not it's a bug, but even if it's not the description could probably use an update, as it's kinda misleading.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    The way I see it, they should be immune to poison. Period. The spell is an evocation that evokes the poisonous gas. Therefor after the magical energy is expended, the result is a poisonous gas, not a magical poisonous gas. The magic is in creating it, but once it's created it's matter. The premise of the cavalier is that they are trained to kill dragons and demons who use equally if not deadlier poisons then the 5th level spell cloudkill. Green dragon breath is very similar to cloudkill.

If this was PnP I would give the DM an earful.

Thanks for the link.