Skip to content

Question

tommytommy Member Posts: 401
is the a way to identify a infinity engine game throught the chitin.key? or dows someone now a other way?

i simply want to make a simple distinction, on example is the game BGEE or BG or BG 2 or IceWind Dale or ...

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013
    Are you using WeiDU? If indeed you are, you can check for files that are only present in a particular BG version. For instance to execute code only in BGEE you can use something like:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~OH9350.ARE~ BEGIN
    put your code here
    END

where OH9350.ARE is one of the new areas only present in BGEE.
    tommy
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    No i dont using WeiDu, i reading the engine by myself.
    The idea isnt bad, but it will not be so easy to find for each game such a file, so if there is another way it would be great.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited March 2013
    WeiDU has built-in GAME_IS and ENGINE_IS values/predicates for all IE games.
    Ergtommy
    i have read that WeiDu GAME_IS and ENGINE_IS check only for game spezific areas, so there is really no easy way to distinguish them.

Here is a link for others whith the same problem
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1364/bgee-modding-compatability-request-when-we-get-there-not-now-unique-weidu-game_is-identifier

And thanks to all of you guys.
    Cmorgan was asking the devs to include files that could be used to extend GAME_IS to BGEE. They did and WeiDU supports GAME_IS bgee as of some recent version. I'm not sure what else you are inferring from that topic.

It is easy to distinguish between games with GAME_IS.
    i am not using WeiDu!!! And as i said the GAME_IS funktion only works fine for all known Games, because the function just check if some special files are in the game or not.

If a new game is created (like BG:EE) the GAME_IS funktion doesnt anymore. So the GAME_IS funktion is only a workaround, but no easy way to distinguish between games.

the link i have posted is for others like me to Identify a game by the spezial files whitout using WeiDu
    tommy said:

i am not using WeiDu!!!

Maybe you should start? Aside from everything else (and there are other things), you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
    im working on a very special modding tool and using another tool in my tool is not a very good idea. So if i say i dont use WeiDu, you can belive me that i have good reasons for that.