Skip to content

Awesome party combos!

damedogdamedog Member Posts: 2
A thread for discussing your favorite parties ever made in BG/BG2.

My personal favorite for BG was:

Elven Fighter- +++++ in long bows, ++ in longswords

Garrick- secondary caster, used crossbows to great effect

Quayle- secondary caster, sling user

Kivan (obviously)- also used long bows

Coran (obviously)- long bows. What else?

Edwin- casting god

This party was nearly unstoppable. The moment an enemy was sighted, the archers in the party would target the most powerful enemy, and the casters would hold them in place with web, stinking cloud, hold person. If there were getting swarmed, the casters could drop multiple fireballs in a single turn, effectively eliminating the whole group. Garrick was way more useful than people give him credit for. Not only did he fill the role of a caster quite well, he was an archery king. Think about it- heavy crossbow of accuracy, bracers of archery, bolts of lightning. Ouch.

Now for my BG2 party-

Human Barbarian- nigh-unkillable tank, melee damage dealer

Keldorn- because Inquisitors make the hardest fights into walks in the park.

Jahiera- summoner, healer, mage-disabler, back-up tank.

Jan Jansen- thief, comic relief, back-up mage

Edwin- casting god

Imoen- extra spell-death

Barbarian is such a highly underestimated class. It can become almost completely immune from physical damage, and with the right items be highly resistant to elemental damage as well as mind-affecting spells.

Keldorn was the mage killer, casting a quick dispel before charname chunked all mages in a rage. Needs items to make him truly shine in combat, but worth it for his abilites.

Jahiera- fighter/druids rock. Gave her belm for the extra attack, and two weapon fighting, she did quite well in combat. But her more important role was to ambush powerful parties. Casting glitterdust, and with the use of the cloak of non-detection as well as the spell, it was possible to set up fights perfectly. Here's how most scenarios played out:

Let the invisible, non-detectable people (including Keldorn) set themselves up behind a mage. Let a non-invisible summon appear within the group. Mages contingencies go up, Keldorn takes them right down. Barbarian rages, kills all. With the help of magical spelldeath of course :P

For the harder fights where that wasn't possible, the Barbarian led the group, taking all the damage, while Keldorn and Jaheria worked on taking down the priests/mages and my own mages made good use of greater malision/disabling and area effect spells.

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @damedog I really like that your fave BG1 party includes Garrick and Qualye! There are certainly more powerful characters from a powergamer standpoint. But characters like these can add a certain richness to the game. And the chemistry that occurs with some of the more offbeat party compositions is just very fun.

As for myself, I'd much rather try out a different assortment of characters each time out than always take the more popular fan favorites every time.

So I can't really say that I have a favorite crew. With 29 NPCs now there's a whole bunch of combos to try, that's for sure!
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    When I play BG I prefer
    Minsc - Not much of a fighter/tanker, I tolerate him largely for the entertainment value.
    kiban - Ranged weapon is a must in BG for me.
    Dynaheir - I prefer good party so no edwina.
    I still looking for good priest dude though not much of need for it.

@damedog I want to try yours since it looks cool enough ;)