Skip to content

Sorcerous Sundries - scroll prices all over the place

I've just got my party to Baldur's Gate and gone shopping for spells. So far, spells seemed to have been consistently priced by level, but the scrolls from 3rd level on up at Sorcerous Sundries seem to have wildly varying prices unrelated to their levels - some 3rd level scrolls costing over 2000gp, and 5th-level ones at less than 700.

Is this normal, or are there other sellers who are more consistent? Is it related to how rare or popular certain spells are? I don't recall that much price variation back when I played the original, but it has been some time.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Prices varied like that in the original. Base price depends on the item, so other sellers won't be more consistent.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    There's a standard base price for each level of spell, and most spells of that level will sell for the same price. However, some spells of each level (typically the most useful ones!) are at premium prices, maybe double or treble the price of the rest. As @Jalily says, it has always been so. Presumably this is intended to reflect the idea that there is heavy demand for the most useful spells, so sellers can charge more.