Skip to content

I'm Anti-Pause on Inventory Screen / Quickslots Pointless for Potions

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited March 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Do you remember way back in the day (Vanilla BG1) when the game *couldn't* be paused when you were in your inventory screen? It made your character's 3 quick slots invaluable, as you could quaff your needed antidote or healing potion while pausing the game to assess the situation. If you had to dig into your backpack for a potion or a scroll, you knew full well that your foes were on you, taking advantage of the delay in your attack.

Now I mean seriously - Why even put potions in quick slots? You can pause the game, go into your inventory, hand stuff between party members, drink them right from your backpack, etc.

I always wondered why this was changed (I guess the change happened with Baldur's Gate 2? - I don't remember). The difficulty of this game isn't extreme right now, and having an auto-pause setup when the inventory is accessed, makes it even less-so.

So my next question is - Is there something that can be edited in the .ini to make BG:EE not able to be paused in the inventory screen, or does this have to be modded in? If its not currently available I may submit a feature request... It could be added to "Core Rules and up" difficulty. If that's not a good idea, maybe just a button in Game Play options would be best.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    An option in the Auto-Pause menu for "Inventory", maybe?

Moving this to Feature Requests.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Aosaw said:

An option in the Auto-Pause menu for "Inventory", maybe?

Moving this to Feature Requests.

Hey I'll take anything that allows for a bit more old-schoolness. It definitely makes the game harder, which is why I thought difficulty settings.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I agree it would make it more difficult, although some people enjoy pausing challenging encounters and opening their inventories to take a look at their tactical options.

An auto-pause option, on the other hand, would let you play the game in "real-time" on Easy for a more realistic but less lethal playstyle.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would definitely be neat.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    I totally forgot about this!! It did used to unpause in there didn't it
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I dislike this feature in single player mode. In multiplayer, this feature is already there.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If set to no pause, should armor swapping be reallowed?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Jalily said:

If set to no pause, should armor swapping be reallowed?

Good question. That could go either way I guess. In the original, you could do whatever you wanted in the inventory screen, it was just unpaused. But then again, I can see why you shouldn't be able to swap armor in combat.