Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3

Who here has played Black and White? Awesome game, right!? I loved the feeling of being a God and messing around with the world.

The reason I love Baldur's Gate so much is because it lets me become a God. I never, ever, allowed Bhaal's essence to go to waste, even with my Inquisitor I believed I could punish those who commit murder and be a just God of Death. I hated that ToB ends just when my character finally achieves their destiny!

Now, my idea for Baldur's Gate 3. You have ascended to the position of God of Death and Lord of Murder. Imagine a combination sim-city engine for managing worshipers, performing godly deeds, and all the juicy manipulation of mortal affairs that makes being a God so much fun. Meanwhile, there is also a 1st/3rd person element where your avatar can create their own divine plane, interact with other dieties, and progress the plot of the game.

In the Forgotten Realms universe, Cyric murders Mystra and causes the Spellplague. It makes no sense why your character from Baldur's Gate, having assumed the portfolio of God of Murder, wouldn't have caught wind of this. Depending on your choice to be a just or wicked diety, you influence Cyric's plans and change the overall path of the game.

Ultimately you can choose to use your divine essence to assit or attempt to prevent the Spellplague. Naturally canon says you fail, but it still would make for a cool game.

TL;DR: Black and White, combined with God of War, with a massive Plane-building engine that would allow you to design your own world.

Thoughts?

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Basically what Sylvus said. Bring it back to the Baldur's Gate region with new stuff and re-vamped old stuff for us to explore, give us some NPCs to recruit, some loot to scrounge up, and people to which we can speak. Doesn't need to be all that fancy. Dragon Age didn't do a bad job at this, but I felt it lacked the feeling of "this is here so you can find it on your own or never see it" and relied too much on areas specifically made for the quests that take place there. Despite all the crap Dragon Age 2 gets, I feel it captured that better than its predecessor. Yeah, recycled areas, blah blah blah, but at least there was always something to find that the quest log hadn't specifically told you about.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,328
    I would love a new story and new characters in this setting (and rules set), but I have zero interest in any kind of "God" story. The whole idea irks me, and I'd have nothing to do with it. I think ToB already pushed the game nearly to breaking point, time for a fresh start! As Sylvus said, 1st level please...
  • TheMoatMonsterTheMoatMonster Member Posts: 6
    I'm ready for something new. I think the original games did a nice job of telling the Bhaalspawn story, and wrapped it up quite nicely, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have a new plot, with new characters, set in and around Baldur's Gate, with only a few references to the old games here and there.

Your idea does sound cool, though, and might make an interesting spin-off game. But a sim is not what I want from my CRPG.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's a different setting, but you could try Dragonshard. it's a mixture of RPG and TBS D&D game set in eberron, and it's quite good if you are into that sort of game.
    Tyranus said:

In the Forgotten Realms universe, Cyric murders Mystra and causes the Spellplague.

Also, this never happened. Nope.
    I'm not listening.
    *sticks hands in ears*
    NYA NYA NYA NYA NYA CANT HEAR YOU NYA NYA NYA NYA NYA

(also, this is supposed to be a shocking and brilliant twist, whereas in the exact same setting they have killed off and shuffled around about half of the existing pantheon anyway will little to no major effects)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Ok so... I'm pretty sure that the "idea" you have there, OP, is simply a copy of the statement some designer made about actual plans for BG3; it's all a brainstorm at this point, of course, but it's pretty much exactly what you said. Very exactly, in fact.

Don't just post other people's stuff as your own amazing idea :(
  • theperm222theperm222 Member Posts: 84
    Baldur's Gate 3 should be a prequel... harkening back to the Time of Troubles. You will play a PC who has been chosen to hunt down Bhaal as he scourges through the realms creating his score of mortal progeny. Of course, you would bump into Gorion (who will be a kick-ass mage) and recruit him into your party along the way. You would always be one step behind Bhaal as he goes from city to city raping and pillaging. Of course, the end would be a grand battle against Bhaal and all his followers, and the story would end with you and Gorion finding the suckling babe (along side Sarevok) and taking him back to Candlekeep, while leaving Sarevok behind to become the monster he became. I gotta say the whole scenario is a little bit akin to Dexter Season 1... I wonder if they ripped the idea from BG LOL.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

Ok so... I'm pretty sure that the "idea" you have there, OP, is simply a copy of the statement some designer made about actual plans for BG3; it's all a brainstorm at this point, of course, but it's pretty much exactly what you said. Very exactly, in fact.

Don't just post other people's stuff as your own amazing idea :(

I haven't heard any such thing. Got a link?

Anyway, I like this idea. Though to keep in the spirit of the BG saga, I'd tone back the management aspect of this suggestion and instead focus more on the D&D style combat. An Evil god PC could go on a God of War-esque rampage across various pantheons, killing opposing gods. Epic-level combat, along with a complex system of allegiances and betrayals between yourself and other divine entities. Hell, allow for some demigods or minor deities to join the party.
    I'm pretty sure the reason Throne of Bhaal fizzled out is you got too powerful. I don't know about the whole God thing. I like starting as a fledgling and building your character up. That's where most of the fun is IMO.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I haven't heard any such thing. Got a link?

Anyway, I like this idea. Though to keep in the spirit of the BG saga, I'd tone back the management aspect of this suggestion and instead focus more on the D&D style combat. An Evil god PC could go on a God of War-esque rampage across various pantheons, killing opposing gods. Epic-level combat, along with a complex system of allegiances and betrayals between yourself and other divine entities. Hell, allow for some demigods or minor deities to join the party.
    When I say Sim-City style, I meant more of a 2.5d style the originals are in. You can learn through hearing prayers when someone is going to/about to be murdered and you can choose to quickly jump into the ongoing story. Take control of the characters, pause the game to give one side an edge, grant special powers, etc.

Also, when I say God of War, I mean like how in that game you hung out on top of Gaia as she climbed Mount Olympus to go primal on the Gods. Insane levels of epic awesomness that you would need to code to represent a true war of the Gods. I expect to take my little grudge with Demogorgon to HIS home plane.
    I think the Bhaalspawn story was wrapped up with a nice neat bow. IMO, it's over. As far as I'm concerned then, they have 2 options for a sequel - either make a prequel as I suggested above, or do something related to the events in the original. I like the prequel idea better.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Why can't we have new things? While I certainly want a Baldur's Gate III, I'd also like a new story. Yes, I get it, BG and BGII is awesome. But does that mean new awesome can't be made? All the good ideas and story writing have been spent? I do not believe so. There's no reason they can't make another game that involves Baldur's Gate and/or the Sword Coast without having to drag in the whole Bhaalspawn thing. It's not like the region was invented for the mere sake of the game with the same name after all.
    Good point... maybe they can tell the tale of Balduran and the founding of the city or something. Or just something that takes place in the region. But I gotta say though, the Sword Coast is pretty boring. A bunch of fields and not much else. 2 had a much better atmosphere, as did Mask of the Betrayer, maybe go to Thay, or Rashemen, or someplace exotic.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 366

Baldur's Gate 3 should be a prequel... harkening back to the Time of Troubles. You will play a PC who has been chosen to hunt down Bhaal as he scourges through the realms creating his score of mortal progeny. Of course, you would bump into Gorion (who will be a kick-ass mage) and recruit him into your party along the way. You would always be one step behind Bhaal as he goes from city to city raping and pillaging. Of course, the end would be a grand battle against Bhaal and all his followers, and the story would end with you and Gorion finding the suckling babe (along side Sarevok) and taking him back to Candlekeep, while leaving Sarevok behind to become the monster he became. I gotta say the whole scenario is a little bit akin to Dexter Season 1... I wonder if they ripped the idea from BG LOL.

That is a very good idea¡

I always though it would be neat if the Lich Larloch, whos stronghold is located just North of Baldur's Gate, decided he was going to start an all out undead invasion. You'd discover his plan is to ascend to Godhood by recovering the Crown of Thorns and using the Scepter of Kings to absorb the final remaining essence of Myrkul. You have to defeat some famous bad asses like the Ghost King and storm an undead fortress.

An evil storyline could result in you stealing the artifacts and completing the ritual yourself...
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    I actually liked Dragon Age 2........

Anyway. Erm.. i'd just love another DECENT RPG set in Faerun. Neverwinter Nights was OKAY but heavily flawed, NWN2 was decent. Ermm... has there been anything since?

There's the new Neverwinter game coming out but that's some kinda mmo. I saw a trailer and it looked nothing like DnD, some kinda fast paced action thing. Probs give it a whirl anyway....

What were we talking about?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Not for me - I thought these games were AD&D on your PC?
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    @Tyranus: I remember thinking of something similar a while back. It would be nice to have two different scenarios, depending on whether you chose to ascend or not. If yes, then you are embroiled in the quest to try and stabilise the power vacuum the spellplague has left, choosing a mortal emissary to do your work on the surface of Toril as you fight your own battles among your divine enemies. When controlling your chosen, you can recruit companions to aid you, and even solicit the backing of various factions for establishing control of the land. When playing as yourself, you will be primarily alone, but will ally with various other deities and denizens of the planes, to counter the schemes of the likes of Cyric, or even further them if you're so inclined.
    If you relinquished your godhood, then you would be chosen for the quest by another god of similar alignment to act as their emmissary. This would play differently, as you would travel far more broadly through Toril and the planes, since your patron would be less capable than yourself in maintaining stability, and will call on your aid more often to go to the places they cannot.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Honestly, I just want more PnP games as PC RPGS; ones that actually use the same mechanics and aren't hack-n-slash in the same setting.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Sadly no. If there is to be a BG3, I would preferably want the game the same way and style and engine as BG1 and 2
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    simply no, baldur's gate is baldur's gate no matter the number after it.
  • TheMoatMonsterTheMoatMonster Member Posts: 6
    Bigfish said:

Honestly, I just want more PnP games as PC RPGS; ones that actually use the same mechanics and aren't hack-n-slash in the same setting.

Me too. But there hasn't been much activity on the CRPG scence since Neverwinter Nights 2, and I can't really think of any games in development which are adapting a DnD ruleset (apart from the Neverwinter MMO, and that seems like quite a departure from its' source ruleset).

I'm kinda hoping that if Beamdog make enough money from the Enchanced Editions, they might make new Infinity engine games. But that seems like a far-fetched hope.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

But the sad part of this idea is that the main character would have to ether be mortally wounded in the final battle or die later off screen before the start to of Baldurs gate.

@theperm222: But since we already know what's going to happen, it all seems a bit pointless, y'know?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Tyranus said:

TL;DR: Black and White, combined with God of War, with a massive Plane-building engine that would allow you to design your own world.

Thoughts?

That'd be a decent idea for a spin-off game, but not BG3
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I dunno. Crisis Core was a pretty good FF7 prequel, largely *because* of its foregone conclusion.
    @Eudemonium: But they messed around with it so much that it had only the smallest similarities to how it originally seemed to go. I have no love for Square Enix or their flowery farty storylines andBELTS ZIPS BELTS ZIPS BISHY BISHY crap.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I think that the saga should continue the way it always did - forwards and upwards. It is time for CHARNAME to battle other gods, deities, etc... Worshipers and common folk should be part of side quests in BG3, not the main quest.
    It's like that scene from Heroes where they go into the future. Peter and Sylar are in a staredown and you know it's going to be awesome. Then Dr. fuckhead comes along and closes the door. Huge light shows and explosions come from the other side of this CLOSED DOOR!

That's how I feel about Baldur's Gate 3. I just went through this epic adventure, from killing that first Wolf east of Candlekeep to slaughtering my entire extended family, to be a God. I want to see that big fight scene, damnit! I want to be a God of Murder!