Skip to content

Melicamp... as pseudo-familiar; and on the subject of animal polymorphs as scouts

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited March 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I realize that this is something a modder would most likely take up if interested. But what if there was an option to keep Melicamp in the backpack same as a familiar--and also use him as a familiar, rather than taking him to Thalantyr?

He is a mage adept, after all. So perhaps he could cast a few level 1 spells even in his polymorphed form. A bit of dialogue with him now and then could be fun too.

As for the ability for familiar-Melicamp to scout ahead, I think any animal form should be unmolested by hostile enemies. Imho this should apply to any party member who Polymorphs him/herself into animal form. I realize that the wolf shapeshifted form (eg, via Cloak of the Wolf) can stealth. But enemies should not automatically presume a wild creature to be hostile if spotted. Most forest animals aren't hostile but rather wary, and avoid humanoids. The stealth ability could still come in handy for a thief to backstab with.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Hostility is not required for a wolf to bite a chicken, I love this idea though.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The way the game is scripted, hostile creatures with a red circle under them auto-attack any party members (or creature charmed by the party)--even when they are in animal form.

I mean, for polymorphed monster forms, I guess they maybe they could understandably be KoS. The level 4 wizard spell Polymorph Self options include gnoll, mustard jelly, ogre, and spider.

But a wolf?

The perfect scout would be a squirrel! But as far as I know you can only polymorph into one as a Wild Mage via a surge.

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Even monsters have to eat...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Well, they would eat a chicken, that's true. A wolf seems unlikely, though. If a chicken approaches a monster maybe it could be a 1/3 chance of being attacked, or something.

Hmm, okay, so maybe functioning as a scout isn't one of the advantages that a chicken familiar can offer. But I think there's an attack animation from the GreatGonzo cheat. Maybe a chicken 'roided up on Tensers or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.