Skip to content

SCS Durlag's Tower.

Alrighty, I need some advice on the Chess Board. I'm running the canon party, max level for each character, I'm rolling with a protter Priest of Lathander. All the goodies in the game for equipment as well.

Round 31-failed within 41 seconds after webbing the area, ( going in have to use a Invisibility Potion on PC to keep from getting auto-aggroed. ) and nuking with the remaining 4 uses from a Wand of Fire. I can sometimes get a Slow cast.

I'm out of ways going about it. I actually am past it, but feel pretty bad because yep, I CTRL-R'd my characters after I finished raging. I have a quick save timed to when it loads you into the chess board map. I'm pre-buffed as well, but that hardly matters because the Queen is level 80 with Dispel.

Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I wouldn't call it fun. I'm all for half-way smart AI and them getting to "pre-buff" too, but this quit being fun after about an hour of reloads.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2013
    This was for vanilla EE, but it might also work for SCS:

I was recently able to win it in vanilla by having just my protagonist, by himself, target the king using potions of absorption for all the lightning and a scroll of protection from magic for any spells that might be cast upon him. He was buffed to the gills of course to withstand all the martial attacks. But the point of emphasis here is that the trick is to kill the king as quickly as possible.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Ouch.

What party are you running with?
    Canon. Minsc, Khalid, Jaheira, Dynaheir and Imoen. All max level, best weapons, armor, spells etc. Imoen is pure Thief.

Craps ridiculous. lol
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    There's a few way to do it.
    One of the ways is Greater Malyson + Web + fireballs (Pour potions of fireball on them from all your characters) then finish in melee using potions of absorbtion.
    edited March 2013
    Kill the king and it's game over (literally)--all the other chess pieces then vanish.

If you need to use some of your party to pull other enemies away from the member(s) going directly after the King, that can work. But the battle cannot be won unless you kill the king.
    edited March 2013
    Dynaheir can't memorize Enchantment spells and I have no scrolls. Well, I do, but I have them all in the barrel by Black Lilly for the final battle. Wasn't expecting this kind of difficulty. I'm going to be kinda' disappointed if I cream the final battle in less reloads.

It's reasons like this that justifies why I believe Enchanters are the superior Mages. lol They might not do the damage the others can, but the make it to where the rest of your team can obliterate your opposition. Going to breeze through the next playthrough with a Skald!

Ah, also, I can't get to the King. He seems to be immune to Web. So does the Queen, Knights, and Rooks. Also whatever the Archers are. My fighters can harass him, as both have Free Action ( ring and sword ), but that leaves my Cleric, Dynaheir, Imoen, and Jaheira open to everyone else.

SCS targets smartly.

EDIT: I beat the final battle on the second time trying. Lost Dynaheir, but I knew I'd lose her. Had to run for the hills once I was down to Seravok and the Archer dude to heal up.

Past that, it was challenging and kind of nerve wrecking, but not stupid hard like on the Chess Board.
    Post edited by Copastetic1985 on
    edited March 2013
    Okay, if you set the game options to give feedback, is it telling you what buffs the King casts?

Because no matter what, you have to find a way to take out the king. So if we can strip his spell buffs then he'll be vulnerable.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    King has Mirror Image, Globe of Invulnerability, Stoneskin ( multiple castings available ), and Protection from normal Missiles ( not the buffed one in SCS ).

That's not factoring in his immunities from lightning, normal weapons and a couple more.

Point is, he's too well protected by his Queen ( lvl 11 Mage ), Rooks ( Archers or whatever, they use a bow ) and Bishops who I think are Clerics. The Knights are survivors, but I usually deal with them after I kill the Pawns that didn't die from the Fireballs.

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    What is SCS Durlag's Tower...is this a mod or something that was added to the EE version?
    edited March 2013
    SCS is a mod that ups the difficulty by 100%. Well, not 100%, but a whole lot. It increases enemy AI, allows spell casters to pre-buff like nearly everyone does before battles, and increases enemy levels. I love it and highly recommend it for those that know the BG series like the back of their hand.

Oh, not just for Durlag's Tower. I just targeted this place because a battle is proving 'too' hard without cheese tactics ie, CTRL-R'ing the crapton of damage I take.

I finally beat it legitimately. Ended up dropping two Webs and use Teleportation Field ( new favorite backline spell ) by my PC Cleric, Imoen, and Dynaheir. Used the four uses of the Wand of Fire, which drew out the Queen, King, Rooks, Bishops and Knights.

Took care of the Rooks first, then Knights because they never seem affected by Web. Got lucky on saves vs. the Queens' Chaos/Confusion spells, and the rest was easy peasy.

I checked your threads you sent. Some good advice there except they are immune to Cloudkill. So for future reference. :)

Thanks for the links.
  • Crom2Crom2 Member Posts: 6
    After numerous attempts the easiest way turned out to be the following: cast webs and then move an inch forward to lure the pawns. They get stuck and your archers|slingers can take them out easily. Lower saving throws with Greater Malison and cast three or four fireballs. After that the King should be badly injured or even near death. Now all you need to do is to wait until the webs are gone, hide your thief or ranger or whomever in shadows in order to get a wee bit closer and give him hell with arrows, bullets and magic missiles. Or buff your wizard and send him into battle kamikaze-like and detonate sunfire (mind the distance to your party, otherwise you end up frying them).

You won't lose even a single HP.
    Crom2 said:

After numerous attempts the easiest way turned out to be the following: cast webs and then move an inch forward to lure the pawns. They get stuck and your archers|slingers can take them out easily. Lower saving throws with Greater Malison and cast three or four fireballs. After that the King should be badly injured or even near death. Now all you need to do is to wait until the webs are gone, hide your thief or ranger or whomever in shadows in order to get a wee bit closer and give him hell with arrows, bullets and magic missiles. Or buff your wizard and send him into battle kamikaze-like and detonate sunfire (mind the distance to your party, otherwise you end up frying them).

You won't lose even a single HP.

That's a good gig for a normal game. However, I'm using a mod that increases AI, raises enemy levels, and allows them to pre-buff.

Basically, If I had moved forward to pull the Pawns, everyone would pull with them getting me killed by over-aggro.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Question : Is the Death Knight harder to kill with SCS ?

I mean, in my walkthrough(s) he was desperately wasting his Power words (Kill & stun) on my characters that had more than 60 pv...

Question : Is the Death Knight harder to kill with SCS ?

I mean, in my walkthrough(s) he was desperately wasting his Power words (Kill & stun) on my characters that had more than 60 pv...

Honestly, I've killed him quite a few times now on SCS and feel he's still kind of weak with a maxed-out party.

Just send your tanks in with a few buffs, let him waste his Dispel, then rebuff while the rest of your team pokes him.

I'd give the two Rings of Fire Resistance to your tank(s). He loves using Sunfire or pointblank Fireball.