Skip to content

Neera, Ninjamancer extraodinaire and Friendship paths

Hey, I'd like to start off by saying I'm currently playing (and enjoying) BG:EE and the new characters are a breath of fresh air on the whole. Also, major kudos for adding a m/m romance option, especially seeing as he's so outside of the box for that sort of thing.

But seriously, Neera has the worst case of Ninjamance I've ever come across. I thought Jack and Ashley from the Mass Effect series were bad but at least you could have a few conversations with them before they decided you were soulmates. Every one of Neera's conversations seems to end in her attempting to flirt/glean compliments from the player character, me choosing non-commital but polite responses as best I can and then her throwing a petulant fit about how aloof I am. This is also accompanied by journal entries that seem to suggest my character wishes to reciprocate but is too bloody stupid to manage it.

I'd like to have Neera in my party through BG2, but she needs to have at least: 1. A romance path 2. A friendly (or at least cordial) path and 3. An antagonistic path. Failing that, an early dialogue option along the lines of "Neera, I'm gay. Seriously. I'm the gayest. Would you like some gay-cakes? I made them. Because I'm gay. GAAAAAY." would be much appreciated.

The shame of it is that she seems like a character I'd really enjoy (not to mention her voice actor does a fantastic job) if there was a way I could get to know her without her throwing a hissy fit at my supposedly oblivious player character every time we talk.

Comments

• Jackkel_DragonJackkel_Dragon Member Posts: 103
    Neera does have a case of being too hard to keep away in her first two romance conversations. While I can't find a way to turn down Dorn in BGEE while looking through his code, at least his conversations/journal entries aren't obviously romantic despite what the PC is trying to say. It's almost surprising how easy it is to break Neera's romance in her third conversation (with some options giving the same journal entry as a continuing romance) considering how she comes onto the PC despite some potentially nasty PC comments in the earlier conversations...

Basically, I sort of agree that it should be easier to make clear to Neera whether or not you're interested... my only male PC playthrough of BGEE so far romanced her, but it's kinda silly that you can specificlly try to anger her and still continue the romance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    From Neera's later encounters, I get the impression her usual MO is:
    1/ Flirt to lower target's defenses.
    2/ Rob target blind and run away.

So it's potentially intentional that she basically ignores your negative responses, if we assume she's trying to run a con on you. (Or maybe it's just poor writing, trying to force a romance on CHARNAME.)
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Bhaaldog said:

Bhaaldog said:

Could someone give me a definition of "Ninjamancer" ?

Not sure of the "official" definition, but from what I understand a ninjamancer is a character that enters a romance with the PC without any indication that they have until it's too late to do much about it. Due to some subtle writing and coding bugs, Leliana in Dragon Age Origins could easily ninjamance the PC.

It's kind of like haveing your post "ninja'd" on a forum, expect instead of saying what you were going to say the character unzips your pants.
    There are people on this forum who wish to steal my pants!
    Mr. Shade, for one...
  • TheSnarkyShamanTheSnarkyShaman Member Posts: 10
    Well I didn't want to be a complete arsehole to her just to avoid the romance, but with BG companions having forced conversations it was very frustrating. At least with Jack/Ashley you can simply choose to ignore them if there near-unavoidable romance bothers you, though again, it would be nice to be able to converse as friends. One of my absolute favourite things about Dragon Age: Origins was the Morrigan friendship path.

Everyone always brings up Leliana as a ninjamance, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with her? Or she at least has a clear 'not interested' dialogue option if it comes up. It's been a while but I don't remember her being notoriously unavoidable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Bhaaldog My Ashley "romance" was just me choosing nice/friendly responses to her dialog and ended with me trapped in a room with her. Did not see it coming at all. Ninjamance.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Coriander
    I once had that happen in real life.
  • TheSnarkyShamanTheSnarkyShaman Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2013
    Coriander said:

@Bhaaldog My Ashley "romance" was just me choosing nice/friendly responses to her dialog and ended with me trapped in a room with her. Did not see it coming at all. Ninjamance.

I learned on something like my sixth playthrough (to my utter shock) that if you are constantly rude to her, put her down and tell her that fraternization is bad m'kay every time contact with another sentient being is mentioned you CAN converse with her without triggering that conversation where all dialogues lead to Shepard expressing interest in her. A good indicator is if Kaidan (instead of Shepard) is mentioned as being cute when she's on call to her sister. Hopefully in BG2 Neera and all the other new romances won't require verbal abuse to avoid romance.

• IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    You'd think non-bisexual characters would all have friendship paths, since same-sex PCs need content, too.