Skip to content

[Tutorial] How to use DLTCEP to enable custom soundsets

LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
edited March 2013 in General Modding
I originally posted this in the general board, but I think it'd be more useful if it had its own topic.

I make no claim to have discovered this method, that goes to @Cuv. This is simply a step-by-step on how to use his method. (EDIT: Actually, upon further review, I think it was @Dib...my bad! Point is, it's not something I came up with.)

First, download DLTCEP (You can find it easily by googling).

Install it. Then open it. It'll tell you to run setup. You'll need to do that.

You'll find this setup screen.

Name the setup whatever. Click the little folder icon next to the "Location of chitin.key" box.

Navigate to the file. It'll probably be in your 00766 folder, in the main install.

Also, make sure you're got an override folder in that same directory. If you don't have one, make one.

When you've got that chitin.key, you need to change a few options. Under the "Game Type" drop-down menu, select "Baldur's Gate II/ToB". Also, uncheck the "Read Only" box.

Now press "Save & Back". There will be a moment while the editor reads your chitin.key, and then you'll be back at the main menu. It should look like this.

Then press the "Edit" button.

Navigate down to "Tables (2DA)".

This window will open.

Go to "File", then to "Load Table".

Type in "CHARSND" in the search box. Hit "search next". This window should come up, and press "Ok" to open it.

You'll now have this window (your default value might be 30. Doesn't matter).

Press "Add column" Now you'll see this.

Click on the name "Column 1" to change it to whatever the name of your voice set is. I used "Phillip" as an example.

Now, make sure all your values are good. Basically, make sure they're all 30. You can see, all the visible ones are 30. That's good.

Now, scroll down. You'll see that Beamdog's voice sets have some -1 values. Make sure your voice set ALSO has these set to -1.

We're almost there! Go to "File", and "Save Table". Press it.

Close DLTCEP. Now go to your override folder. There should be the table you just saved. My override folder is full of stuff because I have a lot of mods, but don't be dismayed if the table is the only thing in yours.

Now, all you need to do is make a new game and select your voice set. Oddly, in my experience the only way this method works is by starting a new game.

It took me about a half-hour to create this tutorial. If you're simply following along, I think it'll take less than half that time to set up your voice sets. Happy playing!
CuvNarcissistDraconisPrimeKilivitzCorianderKerthalKidCarnivalLockScooterMomo86ToseCrevsDaaklolien

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    NIcely done! that's pretty easy to follow
  • DraconisPrimeDraconisPrime Member Posts: 26
    Awesome stuff, thanks! I have a noobish question though... where would we put the various sounds for our custom voice-sets? To use your "Phillip" example, where would we put the files Phillipa.wav - Phillipw.wav? The override folder?
  • EldmoreEldmore Member Posts: 22
    this foler in the DATA -- LANG --­­ EN_US --- SOUNDS
    DraconisPrime
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Too bad its a bit too much work to include all my 175 custom sound sets. but at least now I can pick my favourite ones. Maybe in time I will have all of them included. ^^ Thank you very much.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Subtitles for the added soundsets work after doing this?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Subtitles are a whole other area.

I have no idea how to do them. This guide just gets your voice sets working, like in the original series, where custom soundsets had no subtitles.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Subtitles are a whole other area.

I have no idea how to do them. This guide just gets your voice sets working, like in the original series, where custom soundsets had no subtitles.

In original series you just had to dump the sound files in the sound folder. BGEE requires these hoops to jump through?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    One comment: newer dltcep's got BGEE as an option to select from the drop down menu. I recommend using that (or in old dltcep just also click on bg1 style area header). This affects only those who want to edit areas, but i guess it is better to mention, before using the tob settings for bgee catches on :D
    Erg
  • RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126

in my experience the only way this method works is by starting a new game.

I imported a charname from bg ee. is there no other way of changing it for him then?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    This tutorial is largely outdated. Custom sounds now work, as long as they are labelled

Custom1a.wav
    Custom1b.wav

or Custom2, or 3, all the way to 9.