Skip to content

Idea on XP cap, group cap and/or cap per chapter

Hi,
I guess an idea like this may have been discussed before, but couldn't really find any...

I am one of those players that like solo or duo player runs and thus often hitting xp cap midway the game or even earlier. I do like some balance in the game, but also do i like to make progress with a character throughout the whole game...

Two ideas popped up in my mind, now that i am playing again on iPad and i dont like to jailbreak...

1)
Put an XP cap on the whole party instead of on each character; e.g. 6 players capped at 161k xp each, means like 900k or 1M xp cap total, which could mean that a solo run is capped at just that amount, a duo run at 450/500k each, etc. Not sure what that does to game balance, meaning is a 1M xp character (level 12-14 or so) more or less powerful than a party of six at level 8 or about?
I imagine this kind of capping system would raise some difficulties (techical/code wise) with joining of new party members throughout the game. I would think that all NPC would level up more or less alongside the player character both "in party" and "outside party" and you would only be able to let more NPC join as long as you have not yet reached the total group xp cap...

2)
Next to the above, and perhaps the combination would even further balance the game, i had the idea of capping xp per chapter of the storyline. As such, each next higher xp cap would be "unlocked" at certain moment in the storyline (like the chapters) and in combination with idea 1 that could also mean that the joining of more NPC could depend on how far you are in the storyline of the game. I imagine that both these ideas would also be in need of specific Dialogue around the joining of NPC, e.g. An NPC refusing to join with some statement like "you look like a very powerful group of adventurers, you don't need my help..." To indicate that an xp cap is preventing a next NPC from joining...

I have no idea how difficult it would be to introduce one or both these ideas, and i haven't thought much yet if these would have some negative effects, like being prone to bugs or exploits, but i think that for players that like solo or duo runs, this would be a nice addition...

Comments

• TurcamTurcam Member Posts: 26
    I guess the overwhelming response to my post on XP cap per group/chapter means that it is not such a good idea:) In that case, I will simply have to wait for xp cap removers that work on iPad without hacking to have fun running a solo game.... :(
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'd be against an XP cap per chapter because today you have the option of just playing the main story or go exploring at your own leisure.

Of course some places might be too difficult for your current level, but finding that out as you explore is part of the fun. Placing an XP cap that forces you to move on with the story will most likely take away that freedom.

I think the whole point of playing solo is that you will level up faster so you will be able to face most challenges on your own. Are you sure preventing that will keep solo runs viable?

The way I see it, the way it is now is already a good compromise between playing solo or with a party. Also consider that the game was designed under the assumption players will carry along 3 to 5 NPCs with them at all times.
    Iecerint
  • TurcamTurcam Member Posts: 26
    I agree that Cap per Chapter should not prevent anyone from exploring, doing side quests etc. without gaining XP, so I guess I agree that it is not a good idea after all :)

About the first idea: Group XP cap which could be 4-6 time higher than current Cap of 161k, I am not sure what the compromise is, that you mention. The point is that currently, playing the full story with 6 characters will have you hit the cap with each character. Solo-ing you will hit the xp cap already halfway or even earlier, in the game. The question is; could a group XP cap work in practice / code-wise, and how would a solo 900k XP character compare to a group of 6 at 160k XP?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    A good cap would be an Option (like the Gore or Group Infravision) on Gameplay menu, for those who like the 161k cap and for those who play alone and doesn't want a cap.
    lolien
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2013
    Today, you have a party-oriented game that awards you the same amount of XP regardless of how many people there are in said party.

What I mean by compromise is that you can play solo because you will level up a lot faster and hit the XP/power cap way before a full party, making it possible to overcome by yourself challenges meant for a group. Any kind of mid-game XP cap might end up killing the viability of a solo run, since you'd be denied access to levels most characters will only hit by the end of the game.

Depending on the class, I imagine a properly-equipped 900k character could mop up the floor with a party where everyone's around 160k.