Skip to content

Strange Days

Okay so I've just begun a game of BG2:TOB for the first time and some very weird stuff is going one, none of it is mentioned in the guides so I assume it's a bug but want to be sure.

I start in the garden with the heads and eventually a woman comes by. The responses to her are incredibly odd, my choices are:

1. My, what colors. Is that what the nouveau rich are wearing these days?
2. Not that you care but I dress for comfort, not than parade in front of the likes of you.
3. Hey you, you look like magic. (hic) Make something appear for me.

It gets even weirder when I'm sent to hell. Severok (who looks like a giant angel warrior) starts talking to me, sometimes he's Viconia coming on to me and other times he's Imoen telling me of my responsibility.

At first, I thought this was meant to be a surreal spiritual journey but it obviously isn't.

I've installed quite a few mods so they might be the cause. Anyway, just wondering if anyone's come across something like this and if I should simply uninstall and reinstall everything.

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    You've got a broken dialog.tlk, time to re-install everything.

The giant angel warrior (the Solar) should be the first thing to talk to you in Hell.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013
    To start off... like this?

On a more serious note, I think you might want to reinstall everything.

Edit: As pointed out by @Nifft. ^^
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You might have botched a mod installation during its process, like maybe you exited the Weidu program before it says 'done, please press ENTER to exit', it messes with everything. Your dialog.tlk is bugged most probably. Dialog.tlk is the store of all the in-game text, dialogue, item description, spell description, names, etc. A mod that adds new lines, dialogues, items, NPCs, etc. add new strings to the old dialog.tlk to expand it. It seems during your installation something went wrong and in-game dialogues were given wrong string numbers in dialog.tlk, resulting in random-wrong dialogue choices. Those choices you see are actually in the game, thanks to your mods, but they are in the wrong place and make no sense.

You should uninstall the game, delete your mod folders manually, do a reinstall, install the official patch, G3 fixpack mod, and then the other mods you want, in correct order.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    d
    lunar said:

You should uninstall the game, delete your mod folders manually, do a reinstall, install the official patch, G3 fixpack mod, and then the other mods you want, in correct order.

I give up.

When I first played BG2, I got the "cannot initiate dialogue, character appears busy" problem. I finally got rid of it, but reinstalling everything has caused it to reappear and I don't know how to fix it.

Before someone makes a suggestion, I tried just about everything the first time and I have no idea what stopped it happening.

Screw it, I'm just going wait for the Enhanced Edition.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    'Can not initiate dialogue' was a well known bug in the unpatched game. Did you install the latest official patch? That should fix the problem. Then Gibberlings 3 fixpack fixes a lot more subtle stuffs and actually, these two are essential for succesful modding. Nearly all mods are coded with thinking Patch&Fixes are applied to the game beforehand, and modding without them has a very high chance of messing things up.
    lunar said:

'Can not initiate dialogue' was a well known bug in the unpatched game. Did you install the latest official patch? That should fix the problem. Then Gibberlings 3 fixpack fixes a lot more subtle stuffs and actually, these two are essential for succesful modding. Nearly all mods are coded with thinking Patch&Fixes are applied to the game beforehand, and modding without them has a very high chance of messing things up.

Yup did that, and a lot of other things that forums (including this one) suggested. None of them worked.
    Well, I got it all working, not sure how.

Maybe it was like my granpappy always said "Computer is just another word for magic" or maybe it was @lunar's suggestion to manually delete each mod file before reinstallation.

I'll never know.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited March 2013
    "Nearly all mods are coded with thinking Patch&Fixes are applied to the game beforehand, and modding without them has a very high chance of messing things up"
    @lunar People who download mods shouldn't have to check dependencies before playing. I know it's done - and widely at that - to assume that a player, years after a game is released, has the most recent version of a game (usually with the latest patch, official and unofficial) but I don't like it. It leads to sloppiness and I can't count the number of times I've seen modders fail to mention smaller dependencies in the readme ( and I'm not speaking just of BG now) The vast majority don't do this or the dependencies are really not that important, but there are quite a few exceptions and then these sort of anomalies crop up. :)

The weirdest thing that happened to me in BG2 was clicking the tent in the Promenade and ending up in an Icewind Dale environment (winter) with no doors/exits available and a Death Bunny. It would have been mildly hilarious had I not played IWD that very day and I jumped in my seat and triple checked which game I was playing and then was horrified by the very improbable thought that maybe it ended reading the wrong memory area and I was now playing IWD with my BG2 party. :))
    When I calmed down I went through the 3 mods I had installed earlier in the week and narrowed it down to a mod that brings back Xzar and Monty but it was clearly an unfinished area/incomplete quest instead of an Easter Egg because without those 2 characters in my party clearly something wasn't triggered and my party ended up trapped and had to redo about 1h of gameplay.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

To be fair, it doesn't seem to be asking too much to read about a mod before you install it; Modders, for their part, should write clear readme files.

That's true, but they can be long and I'm just so so lazy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.