Skip to content

Which dungeons in BG series do you prefer?

levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
I'm always a big fan for dungeons, and there are quite a few in the series. My favorite ones are Durlag's Tower and Watchers' Keep. Not much to say about Durlag's Tower as it's a traditional dungeons with some puzzles, many good fights, a few mazes and a final boss. It's short comparing to Watches's Keep, but is still the longest one in the original game, and probably tough for even experienced players. I never entered before the party reached lvl 5, but it may be beatable with a lvl 4 party decorated with strong armors, magical weapons and lots of potions. Watchers' Keep is a different story. It's huge, so huge that I only bested it for twice; and it's difficult to beat, as it was designed for ToB, not BG2, but surely an experienced player can beat it well before ToB. WK introduced many interesting puzzles, say, the text-adventure part and some of the other puzzles in later levels. It is richer than Durlag's Tower, which follows the classic route of "fetch-stuffs-and-beat-monsters", and is also very frustrating at times.

IMO Durlag's Tower is a solid adventure a party of friends can finish in a couple of nights, while Watchers' Keep is a game in itself and probably requires much more patience, and of course, rewards the player with much better rewards.

What's your opinion? What are your favorite dungeons in the series?

Comments

• DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    Ulcaster school in BG1 and Watcher's Keep.

Ulcaster is not a hard dungeon in general, but it's extremely hard on low level when you have nothing that can harm those slimes. But the main reason I like Ulcaster so much is because it has a background and great atmosphere. I wandered around there, made my home there and asked myself questions like "What happened, really?". It's a sad tale of one of the better magical school and now it's just...gone.

Watcher's Keep just gets me because of the atmosphere. I couldn't care less about Marileths or whatever Pit Fiend wanders down there. Demogorgon and my player character could've been friends for all I care. Plus, the introduction to WK is just so...damn...cool.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    As a general rule, the longer dungeons work much better. Theres nothiing better than wandering out of a 5+ level dungeon, in the deep red hp, no more spells memorised, and more treasure in your backpack than you can hold.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    My favorite is Durlag's Tower, hands down. Watcher's Keep is second.
  • FerluciFerluci Member Posts: 26
    The Underdark (including all attached maps), by far! The first time I played BG2 I got raped hard by the drow party you meet in the middle, epic moment! :D
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Durlag's Tower definatly, classic dungeon with alot of mystery and history behind it.
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    I actually really liked the Windspear Hills dungeon area. The reason for that is that the first time I played it I had no idea that Firkraag was a dragon, so all throughout the dungeon I had growing apprehension, such as from seeing the large hole with growling sounds. Then, when I finally saw the dragon, it was a "Holy crap!"/"Oh no!" moment. Very cool.

As far as BG1 goes, Tales of the Sword Coast dungeons are great overall. Durlag's Tower is excellent. I liked the werewolf isle as a whole. However, the ice cavern area (Shandalar's cloak) was just a pain in the rear.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I really like the Cloakwood Mines for some reason. In fact I like that whole chapter, the trip through Cloakwood up to the mines and then Baldur's Gate city opens to you, it's where the adventure really gets going. Less found of the battle horror spawning trap before Davaeorn :p The Candlekeep catacombs is also quite fun, the chance of good loot and seeing the doppelgangers shouting the most random stuff ever.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Windspear hills dungeon, De'Arnise Hold and the Underdark of course.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Durlag's Tower is undoubtedly the best in my mind. It's just such a well crafted dungeon, with such an intriguing and deep history. Descending into the lower levels as you simultaneously descend into the deeper levels of madness of this unfortunate dwarf that more and more clearly truly wanted to kill all those that dared to enter the site. As someone has already mentioned, these many-layered dungeons are great in that you leave bruised and bloodied, with hardly a spell, potion, or wand left at your disposal, your packs all stuffed to the brim with whatever loot you could make it out with.

Watcher's Keep is a really difficult one to place for me. I do love this dungeon, but if it's played once you're out of Saradush in ToB, then you have your little stone of recall/teleport scroll/pocket plane ability thing to steal you away whenever things get a bit too dangerous for you and to always give you a place to sleep safely. If played before having the pocket plane ability (or as if you didn't), I rank this dungeon at right below Durlag's Tower I think. That pocket plane, while a great idea, really ruined a lot of ToB for me as obviously on my first play through I just used it as it was meant to be used, which greatly reduced the challenge of the game. Later, when I started restricting things like my reloads and stuff, I just didn't use the ability except in certain areas, which made ToB considerably more enjoyable.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Also, if you try to take them in one go (without sleeping or even saving once you're inside), all of the smaller multi-level dungeons are great too. Cloakwood mines, Firkraag's lair, the Shadow Dragon's dungeon (I enjoyed that there were a couple of little puzzles here), Nashkel mines, really most of them were well done.
  • levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41

My favorite is Durlag's Tower, hands down. Watcher's Keep is second.

Yeah, and DT is much more manageable than WK, that's for sure.
    edited July 2012
    Durlag's Tower is undoubtedly the best in my mind. It's just such a well crafted dungeon, with such an intriguing and deep history. Descending into the lower levels as you simultaneously descend into the deeper levels of madness of this unfortunate dwarf that more and more clearly truly wanted to kill all those that dared to enter the site. As someone has already mentioned, these many-layered dungeons are great in that you leave bruised and bloodied, with hardly a spell, potion, or wand left at your disposal, your packs all stuffed to the brim with whatever loot you could make it out with.

Watcher's Keep is a really difficult one to place for me. I do love this dungeon, but if it's played once you're out of Saradush in ToB, then you have your little stone of recall/teleport scroll/pocket plane ability thing to steal you away whenever things get a bit too dangerous for you and to always give you a place to sleep safely. If played before having the pocket plane ability (or as if you didn't), I rank this dungeon at right below Durlag's Tower I think. That pocket plane, while a great idea, really ruined a lot of ToB for me as obviously on my first play through I just used it as it was meant to be used, which greatly reduced the challenge of the game. Later, when I started restricting things like my reloads and stuff, I just didn't use the ability except in certain areas, which made ToB considerably more enjoyable.
    Indeed. I agree that DT is more immersing. You can play WK before ToB, which should be easier as you are accessible to many powerful weapons and potions. WK is a hell lot harder than DT IMO, though.

Sometime I do hope that we have more memorable dungeons in Neverwinter Nights.
    jaysl659 said:

Also, if you try to take them in one go (without sleeping or even saving once you're inside), all of the smaller multi-level dungeons are great too. Cloakwood mines, Firkraag's lair, the Shadow Dragon's dungeon (I enjoyed that there were a couple of little puzzles here), Nashkel mines, really most of them were well done.

Without saving I have to consult the walkthrough as I'm not very familiar with WK. DT should be easy enough as long as I'm prepared, but could be considerably more difficult without sleeping. Actually I'm not sure how to do that.
  • thenethene Member Posts: 16
    As far as I'm concerned, Durlag's Tower has everything - it's challenging and atmospheric and the storytelling is wonderful. Watcher's Keep feels like a much less cohesive experience for me; level-by-level it's a lot of fun but it feels jumbled as an overall experience. In Durlag's Tower, even the descriptions of the lower-level treasures often seem to add to the creepy atmosphere (such as the World's Edge and the Flame Tooth).
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    To be quite honest, I found Durlag's Tower to be far more Challenging than Watcher's Keep. Of course, I suspect the reason for that would be because I mostly play Baldur's gate II over Baldur's Gate 1 thanks to the low level playing. I love playing with higher level characters, so II was always the easier game for me and thus Watcher's Keep was also less challenging for me. Oh it was still challenging... just less so. Yet I'd probably say that Watcher's Keep was my favorite dungeon as it seemed to have a lot more fun puzzles and interesting enemies. In Durlag's tower I really got a bit bored of the Ghasts, Ghouls, and Doppelgangers, although the dwarven doom guards were really cool. In Durlag's tower almost every monster you came across was different, apart from that room where you fought a hundred orcs or so, which was just... sooooo much fun xD
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I think Durlag's is the best done overall. The others are all good to excellent, though. Although the Firewine Ruins can be vexing and a bit tedious.

I agree with FrozenCells that there is something extremely satisfying about emerging from the Cloakwood Mines. It places you at a milestone, so there's a kind of additional reward there.

And reading ajwz's comment "Theres nothing better than wandering out of a 5+ level dungeon, in the deep red hp, no more spells memorized, and more treasure in your backpack than you can hold" reminds me of the Nashkel Mines... which I find makes this also one of the more formidable dungeons.

• SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    I really enjoyed the Temple of Amaunator but it's not as grand as Watcher's Keep which as a dungeon was superbly done, though the bit that actually got you to go inside in the first place could have been better, though I'm just being picky now.

I also liked Windspear Hills, I'd like to return there some time.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @SirBuliwyf I couldnt agree more!
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    I also actually really enjoyed I think it was called, The Hand of the Seldarine in IWD, that was really good.
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2012
    I enjoyed winning back Nalia's hold for her in BG2...a pretty straightforward dungeon, but the "feel" of the place just felt right. I also enjoyed the Shadow Temple.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535

I also actually really enjoyed I think it was called, The Hand of the Seldarine in IWD, that was really good.

Oh yeah!!! I forgot about that one!

I really enjoyed the Temple of Amaunator but it's not as grand as Watcher's Keep which as a dungeon was superbly done, though the bit that actually got you to go inside in the first place could have been better, though I'm just being picky now.

I also liked Windspear Hills, I'd like to return there some time.
    If WK were released today, probably would be released as a DLC, lol.
    Arkin said:

I enjoyed winning back Nalia's hold for her in BG2...a pretty straightforward dungeon, but the "feel" of the place just felt right. I also enjoyed the Shadow Temple.

Yeah, that's quite a solid one, although neither as atmospheric as DT nor as epic as WK. But very unique as it is a stronghold. Man, you guys make me wanna reinstall and play BGT.

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Cult of the unseeing eye quest's dungeon is AWESOME.
    Especially as you descend down towards the old temple of Amanuator. It gives you that alien feeling, that you're entering something left abandoned for ages. It also gives you chills to think what all is lying beneath the buildings of Athkatla.

Cult of the unseeing eye quest's dungeon is AWESOME.

Especially as you descend down towards the old temple of Amanuator. It gives you that alien feeling, that you're entering something left abandoned for ages. It also gives you chills to think what all is lying beneath the buildings of Athkatla.
    Yeah how could I forget that one! Awesome, manageable, and has an epic feeling.

• thenethene Member Posts: 16
    I'm pretty fond of the dungeon under Spellhold, too.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    The Spellhold dungeon hits near the top of my list as well.

I second the fondness for the temple sewers and related quest.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @masterdesbaxter I'm a fan of the Windspear hills dungeon as well. It's got lots of individual areas all with their own character and theme. Not to mention 2 end minibosses, a great twist and one of the tougher fights in SoA as a final fight (unless you use cheese).

The little bit of me that used to play WoW is also jumping up and down about the abundance of loot throughout the Windspear hills dungeon.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Durlag's Tower is the master of all dungeons for me. Filled to the brim with treasure and dwarven goodness, it also tells a great and tragic tale of a dwarf gone mad with paranoia. Love the riddles, love the treasure, loved the monsters and insanity. Only problem I have with it is that after fighting dopplegangers at the Seven Suns trading coster and Candlekeep, fighting them *again* in Durlag's Tower felt a bit rehashed.

Watcher's Keep, while pretty cool, did not feel like a cohesive unit. You went down a level, got in a whole different area with it's own isolated conflict, murdered everyone and went down another level. It didn't so much have a feeling of progression because was just something different every time.

I like Ulcaster, it's short, fairly generic but still has a nice story attached to it. Feels like an Old School PnP sidequest.

The Unseeing Eye beholder tunnels were meh (I mean, why do Beholders have flesh walls? I never got that...) but the temple to Amaunator was very cool and his sidequest incredibly tragic. I am SO stealing it for my PnP group though.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Throwing in my lot with Durlag's as well. There's a kind of poetry in the writing of the lonely ghosts of Durlag and his family that simply builds a much deeper experience than Watcher's Keep or any other dungeon in pretty much any RPG game I've ever played. There's so many things I love about it...