Skip to content

(BUG) Plate armour and Bow for Kensai PC

PaperaPapera Member Posts: 1
The equipment for the summoned party in the multiplayer simulation in candlekeep does not seems to have upgraded tags for wich class can wear them, so if you pause the game, unequip them and export your PC, you can have a bow and several pieces of armour (notably an helm, a +1 shield and a plate armour) wearable by kensai character, colpletely voiding the kit disadvantages

Comments

• NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    Hello, this one is similar to the axes that can be wielded by monks. I just examined this in a new single player game. I could not reproduce it : the chimeric allies' gear was as expected, as no piece of armor was wearable by kensais.

But I checked a few other things and found out that a kensai can equip and use throwing daggers as well as throwing axes, while projectile weapons are supposedly forbidden (all the others are, bow, sling and crossbow). This looks like a consistent bug regarding how throwing daggers are related to daggers, and throwing axes to axes. I haven't checked with enchanted such weapons, but I guess they behave the same. Those are easy to check : just purchase a few throwing daggers and axes at Winthorp's, before you go have fun with the battle simulation.

So, unless the slight nuance between 'projectile weapon' and 'throwing weapon' is a feature, here goes.

Current Behaviour : A kensai can equip and use throwing daggers and axes.

Expected Behaviour : According to the kensai kit description, they can not use projectile weapons.

Including a save file, just because I can.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Kensais always been able to use throwing axes/daggers, and I believe that it's intentional. I think I even remember someone saying that this is actually how it worked in P&P too (but don't quote me on that).
  • snoopsnoop Member Posts: 6
    As far as I can recall, there is a distinction in the AD&D 2e rules between projectile/missile weapons and throwing weapons.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2013
    @Nyxl: yes, it's always been this way and is definitely intentional.

The in-game wording of the prohibition for Kensai is "missile weapons", and in BG (by a hangover of definition from the old proficiency system under the original BG1 engine) a "missile" is taken to mean a projectile fired from a launcher (bow/crossbow/sling). Hurled weapons (throwing axe/throwing dagger) are not counted as missiles for this purpose.

The buglet here is that by the same logic, a Kensai ought to be able to throw darts ... although again, it has always been the case that they can't. So it's just a case of "never mind the logic, these are the rules".

Even if it were intended that a Kensai couldn't throw axes or daggers, that'd be rather awkward since the same proficiencies are used for throwing axes and daggers as for the melee-only versions of those weapons, and obviously the Kensai can take those proficiencies, so there'd be a great many complaints from players reporting it as a bug if their Kensai suddenly couldn't use weapons in which he was proficient. Furthermore, in the case of the throwing axes (although not throwing daggers), the same weapon can be used in either melee or thrown mode, so prohibiting a Kensai from throwing it whilst allowing him to use the same weapon in melee might be tricky to implement.
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    @Gallowglass, @snoop, @TJ_Hooker : Okay, I've learnt something, thank you. :-)

I tested the OP's issue again, this time with a new multiplayer game. I still can't get the gear usable by kensais, and all the items mentioned are explicitely marked as unusable by that specialized class.

As usual, a quicksave to show it...

@Papera : I am using a PC installation, with version 1.0.2014 of the game. Could you specify your platform? I suspect this to be either an iPad or Mac issue...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniaEudaemonia Member Posts: 16
    I attempted this exploit on the mac version and could not equip the armour and helmet from the illusions after importing the kensai.