alg0160alg0160 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Off-Topic
Are these boys back yet?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    wut?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    They're going to add Borg as a race? Cool.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    CHARNAME! Our new team member just killed Firkraag with magic missiles!

Looks like...

*shades*

... resistance was futile.

(YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Yes, but they are disguised as changelings. You'll encounter many of them in Durlag's Tower and Baldur's Gate. For some reason, they were re-named to "doppelganger" though.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Does anyone have any clue wtf the OP is talking about?
  • alg0160alg0160 Member Posts: 3
    ActionOverride(Myself,ResitanceIsFutile)
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326

Yes, but they are disguised as changelings. You'll encounter many of them in Durlag's Tower and Baldur's Gate. For some reason, they were re-named to "doppelganger" though.

Doppelgangers are Changelings? But changelings can't attack! *DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN*
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    We are the vampires. Negative Plane Protection is futile.
    Bhaaldog said:

Does anyone have any clue wtf the OP is talking about?

You have never fought a Vampiric Borg in Baldur's Gate before? Fearsome creatures....
    I'll take that as a "no", then.
    alg0160 said:

ActionOverride(Myself,ResitanceIsFutile)

And I'll take that as a "no" too. Er, hang on, you're the OP ... and you've no idea either?

Hmm, Algol60? Wow, I haven't programmed in that since I was a kid. (And I doubt the Borg would use it ... since the Borg appear to be using continually-evolving code, and since it's bound to be self-modifying to achieve real AI, they'll pretty much have to be running an interpreted environment, although probably with continual micro-compilation ... Lisp-like? Smalltalk-like? Forth-like? Actually I think a Forth-like code environment would be quite Borg-style.)
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    To start a thread... like this?
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    Yes, Master @Bhaaldog! I shall train hard and true so that I might one day reach your level of expertise. Until then, fare thee well!
    Hmmm ... in the Trek universe, the Battle of Wolf 359 was a major Borg victory, the Federation got thrashed. I'm not sure whether a Forgotten Realms analogue would turn into a Borg loss. The Federation had photon torpedoes for Fireballs and phasers for Lightning Bolts, and failed ... what did the alliance have that worked any better?

The Vampiric Borg may be a fair analogue, except perhaps in the sense that it may be tautologous: are not all Borg inherently vampiric in their assimilation of others? So I'm not clear what the difference is between a Vampiric Borg and an "ordinary" Borg.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The difference is that the Borg are a hive-mind collective, whereas vampires retain their personalities, even if they are serving a master. While there are certain analogies to vampires, they are most often likened to zombies: they scratch you, you become as them, an individually mindless automaton driven by simple directives (to assimilate/brrrainssss). Vampires on the other hand are often portrayed as highly individualistic creatures, our dear Bodhi being a prime example.

It makes you think, doesn't it... perhaps the Animate Dead spell will eventually become Assemble Borg, sometime in the distant future... And just imagine what the Borg would do if they assimilated the creatures of the Forgotten Realms! Borg-Illithid? Borg-Aboleths? No, wait: Borg-Beholders! Imagine the number of ocular implants needed for that one...
    edited March 2013
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Mathmick said:

Doppelgangers are Changelings? But changelings can't attack! *DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN*
    A changeling has never harmed another changeling. They are no playable race, so all charnames are fair game. Unless they are charname 8472, of course.
    edited March 2013

It makes you think, doesn't it... perhaps the Animate Dead spell will eventually become Assemble Borg, sometime in the distant future

Arghhh! I think I'd feel safer casting Gate than casting Assemble Borg, the unintended side-effects could be ... catastrophic. At least if I lose control of a Gate summoning, then it'll only kill me and a handful of bystanders, rather than assimilating all of Abeir-Toril.

... And just imagine what the Borg would do if they assimilated the creatures of the Forgotten Realms! Borg-Illithid? Borg-Aboleths? No, wait: Borg-Beholders! Imagine the number of ocular implants needed for that one...

Lol! They'd probably start with Jan Jansen, he's halfway to Borg already.

As if Beholders weren't already enough trouble with death rays and paralysation rays, adding assimilation rays as well would be a real pain. I wonder what the Cloak of Mirroring or Shield of Balduran would do in that case? Reindividuate the Borg-Beholder? Nothing? Or maybe create an infinitely-recursive reassimilation loop and paralyse all Borg everywhere in one blow? The latter gives the Forgotten Realms a good chance!

Borg-Basilisks with an assimilation gaze instead of petrification gaze, that'd be tricky too. "Give us a hand here, Elminster, we need to invent a new spell of Protection From Assimilation and a new Potion of Mirrored Ocular Implants."

If someone summons a demon against a Borg (and someone will!), and if the demon loses, then what happens to the Blood War when Borg-tanar'ri and Borg-baatezu are stirred into the mix?

Y'know, I reckon Lord Ao wouldn't like this, the Borg would probably make a real mess of Realmspace. He might be tempted to cast Power Word: Re-Create.
  • alg0160alg0160 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    @Gallowglass I don't know what you're talking about.. But I was talking about the scripters of bg2 multiplayer

Which obviously you have no idea about. But @Fafnir does.
    Post edited by alg0160 on
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I haven't seen any sign of them yet... I still have tons of the old VAMP and VENOM scripts. Maybe when MP gets working better they will show up.
  • ickler8ickler8 Member Posts: 1
    I was in VENOM, believe it or not. I don't know how much people kept in touch after NVM. I mean, it was about a decade ago, haha.