Skip to content

An Assassin's code of ethics?

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
edited March 2013 in Off-Topic
Hi all, I'm creating a character with the GURPS system for a game I'll play in the Banestorm setting (which is basically medieval-fantasy). We're an evil party so the character has to be dark, I decided to create a urban rogue/assassin. One of the disadvantages I want to take is Code of Honor (professional), but I'm a bit out of inspiration for an assassin's code of honor or ethics. Anyone has an example?

Here's the description of the disadvantage from the GURPS 4 Basic Set book:
You take pride in a set of principles that you follow at all times. The specifics can vary, but they always involve “honorable” behavior. You will do nearly anything – perhaps even risk death – to avoid the label “dishonorable”
(whatever that means).

You must do more than pay lip service to a set of principles to get points for a Code of Honor. You must
be a true follower of the Code! This is a disadvantage because it often requires dangerous – if not reckless –
behavior. Furthermore, you can often be forced into unfair situations, because your foes know you are honorable.

Code of Honor is not the same as Duty (p. 133) or Sense of Duty (p. 153). A samurai or British grenadier marches into battle against fearful odds out of duty, not for his personal honor (though of course he would lose honor by fleeing). The risks you take for your honor are solely on your own account.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ankh morpork's assassin's guild number one rule: To kill someone while dressed unfashionably would be the height of bad manners.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Wipe them out.............................all of them.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    "Good" or evil assasin. I mean, is he just some kind of avenging guy or just a mercenary assasin, which just asks for the price?
  • CaerdonCaerdon Member Posts: 10
    A few quick ideas off the top of my head:
    - Never kill a man in his own home / during his sleep / on holy ground / in presence of his family etc.
    - Never accept a target that would leave a child of certain age without a parent
    - Always warn your target in advance in a defined manner
    - Always set the body in a dignified position and place, fully clothed and clean etc.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    - You may not harm any bystanders.
    - You may incapacitate, but not kill, the target's guards. You must pay wergild for any accidents.
    - At your own discretion, you may dispose of any other criminals you come across while performing a mission.

Guild Assassins are remarkably popular thanks to these rules, and can usually count on the silence of bystanders, should one of them chance to notice.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    assassin is a set of skills related with combat,alchemy,engineering,subterfuge

there are no rules like a paladin

you can be good and use your skills against those that make the world a worse place to live
    you can be evil and kill for whoever pays you without asking questions
    you can be member of a group/cult and kill it's enemies and share it's code and alignment
    you can be neutral and kill for money unless the deed is extremely brutal or unethical

your description only ensures the lawful part,the common themes of assassin's brotherhoods is to:
    never kill another of your guild, avoid collateral damage unless impossible,avoid brutality aim for clean kills(if the victim never realises what happens all the better),some sort of code of communication between it's members emphasis on secrect,never reveal the brotherhood's identity/goals
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    When I play Lawful Evil characters, I tend to have a few simple rules.

- Never harm children, they are innocents and deserve to choose their path before death
    - Never take slaves. This means either killing everyone I encounter, or freeing slaves, or just generally valuing individual freedom and responsibility
    - Always follow through on a contract. Double-crossing is for neutral/chaotic evil.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    helmo1977 said:

"Good" or evil assasin. I mean, is he just some kind of avenging guy or just a mercenary assasin, which just asks for the price?

Mercenary. Medieval hitman.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Never shag your target more than 10 minutes after you killed it.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    "Never reveal your employer" (possibly not even to members of your guild) has the potential to put you in tight spots.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Code of honor for an Assassin:

1) Once a job is accepted, you always follow it through.

2) If you are ever captured in the process of completing a job, you accept death rather than reveal the identity of your employer.

3) No mercy towards targets, no matter what the circumstances.

4) An employer who betrays your identity, or double-crosses you in any way, revokes the contract by so doing.

5) Killing must be done in a very precise manner, with utmost efficiency. No "joy" kills.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    -. Back to basics : If you wanna stay healthy, ya gotta be stealthy.
    -. Guard : A successful (also known as "an alive") one rarely makes the same mistake twice.
    -. A sound move : Either you shouldn't be so greedy, or you need to ask 'em be quieter.
    All excerpt from quest for glory III.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    -Kill your target and only your target. In the specified manner.
    -Your only interest is the target, You may not steal from anyone, You are an assassin not some common thief
    -If you are caught you are on your own. Betraying the guild will earn you a certain and painful death.
    -Work alone. Involving others only increases risks and complications.
    -Leave no evidence.
    -The client is your boss, do not disrespect him. Unless he breaks the contract, in which case the only mercy he deserves is that you show him.
    -Don't poke the myconid. Seriously don't.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Watch kill bill.