Skip to content

[BG2:EE request] Raise experience cap from 8M to 9M

WinedoggerWinedogger Member Posts: 17
edited March 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
8 million is a ton - enough to really do anything you want with any single-class, dual-class or 2-class multi-class character. BUT, 9 million would allow my solo Fighter/Thief/Mage to reach 9th level spells.

I just soloed my F/T/M through the first game again and was remembering that it was frustrating reaching that cap in BG2 knowing that the best spells were just out of my reach.

For other characters in general, IMHO an extra million at those levels wouldn't make a significant difference so there doesn't seem much of a downside. Kinda fun for solo triple class though.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    With a full party of 6 doing a full clear (every quest) you don't even reach the xp cap in ToB, unless you spend a very long time killing respawns.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    "My overpowered munchkin character needs to be even more overpowered for me to feel good and I've never heard of mods."
    Kilivitz said:

1) You talk of overpowered munchkin characters as if they were a bad thing. I thought people played this game to have fun however they see fit.

I don't. Anyone can play however they feel like it.
    Kilivitz said:

2) Just because a feature or functionality is available via mods, it doesn't mean it's not reasonable to suggest it becomes a part of the vanilla game. Not everybody wants to or is able to mod their game.

Point taken but, fortunately, changes like these have no chance of being implemented so it might be a good idea to learn modding. That's what I do when I don't like something about BG; I change it for myself and don't ask others to put up with my playstyle quirks.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    DiscoCat said:

Point taken but, fortunately, changes like these have no chance of being implemented so it might be a good idea to learn modding.

What makes you say that? I believe they were at one time considering rasing the xp cap for BG:EE, so it seems possible that they would consider the same for BG2:EE. They ultimately decided against it for BG:EE, I'm assuming because of the effect it would have had on balance, but the difference is that in BG2 (unlike BG1) you likely won't reach the original xp cap with a full party anyways (at least from what I remember).
    edited March 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

What makes you say that? I believe they were at one time considering rasing the xp cap for BG:EE, so it seems possible that they would consider the same for BG2:EE. They ultimately decided against it for BG:EE, I'm assuming because of the effect it would have had on balance, but the difference is that in BG2 (unlike BG1) you likely won't reach the original xp cap with a full party anyways (at least from what I remember).

It's easy to reach XP limit in BG1. It's very hard in ToB unless you exploit some respawns.

I would also like to take this opportunity to address the criticism that calling stupid suggestions what they are is going to so scare people with reasonable suggestions that they will be afraid of posting them. Well, if they're reasonable, I promise, I won't ridicule them.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    DiscoCat said:

TJ_Hooker said:

It's easy to reach XP limit in BG1. It's very hard in ToB unless you exploit some respawns.
    Yes, that's more or less what I said. I was wondering what makes you so sure that there's no chance of the xp cap being raised in BG2:EE, seeing as it wouldn't affect game balance because you won't actually achieve higher levels than you normally would (unless you're running with a small party).
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2013
    DiscoCat said:

I would also like to take this opportunity to address the criticism that calling stupid suggestions what they are is going to so scare people with reasonable suggestions that they will be afraid of posting them. Well, if they're reasonable, I promise, I won't ridicule them.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite. I often read stuff on these boards that makes me cringe, specially in the Feature Requests forum. But I don't think the request in question was one of those. In fact, I think it's reasonable, because as you pointed out yourself, reaching the XP in ToB is hard anyway. So whatever, let the munchkin players have their fun too.

8M is already a ridiculously high cap, so might as well go to 9. Or 10, what the hell. Me, I've never managed to reach 8M with a single character, even when I spent most of SoA with less than 6 chars.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    The arguments about "8M is already hard to reach" don't make sense to me. If anything, that's an argument that raising the cap will not be problematic, since it will only affect players who actively want to collect EXP.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2013
    I'm gonna come out and say that I wouldn't even mind if they got rid of the XP cap altogether. By the end of ToB you are already ridiculously powerful, even if you're not powergaming. And you'd only be able to get one or two extra levels before finishing the story, and it's not like that'd break the game or make it that much easier.

Unless you're willing to use exploits like the one with the infinite Fire Giants in Saradush (provided they don't close it), and that takes time. If you're the kind of player who's gonna keep importing the same character over and over so it can reach level 200 and be unstoppable, suit yourself. I can't see the fun in that, but whatever.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Yeah, I'm with @Iecerint and @Kilivitz.

Raising this XP cap won't affect my usual games -- my usual party has at 4 to 6 people in it. But if I ever wanted to solo a F/M/T, then the higher XP cap would actually help, and it's cool to know that option would exist. Usually solo games aren't my thing -- the NPC interactions are too entertaining.

But if someone out there feels like grinding for an extra level, power to that guy.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Bhaaldog said:

Why stop at 8M though? Why not 10M and the ability to get 25 in all stats, 100% resistance to all damage, magic and so on. After all it would only affect players who want to go down that route...

The original poster wanted to raise the cap so they can solo the game in a certain way. The game is not designed to be played solo. They have access to 9th level spells via scrolls or by other NPCs if that is what they were looking for.

There are arguments to be made that the cap should be lowered as well as the game is not a difficult one.

@Bhaaldog

You have a point and that's exactly why this kind of changes should be implemented only through mods. With a mod everyone can set whatever cap level he likes (lower, higher, etc.) without affecting other people games.

[talking to self] Maybe I can bring this one to the dark side after all, mwahahaha [stop talking to self]
    Kilivitz said:

2) Just because a feature or functionality is available via mods, it doesn't mean it's not reasonable to suggest it becomes a part of the vanilla game. Not everybody wants to or is able to mod their game.

@Kilivitz

I disagree on this. I really believe that the world would be a better place if more people learned how to mod their game. I'm available to provide advice on how to mod the game to whoever is willing to learn.
    edited March 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Iecerint said:

The arguments about "8M is already hard to reach" don't make sense to me. If anything, that's an argument that raising the cap will not be problematic, since it will only affect players who actively want to collect EXP.

Why stop at 8M though? Why not 10M and the ability to get 25 in all stats, 100% resistance to all damage, magic and so on. After all it would only affect players who want to go down that route...
    Frankly, I think the EXP cap is pretty unnecessary in ToB, since, as has already been discussed, it can't be hit unless you're trying to hit it. So allowing players to grind to 10M or 50M or whatever wouldn't bother me one way or the other.

You would have to implement new items to make the other changes you describe. That kind of thing a) unlike cap-raising, would be a content-change, and b) unlike cap-raising, would create balance issues. Cap-raising is different because it only affects players who actively choose to grind.
    Bhaaldog said:

The original poster wanted to raise the cap so they can solo the game in a certain way. The game is not designed to be played solo. They have access to 9th level spells via scrolls or by other NPCs if that is what they were looking for.

There are arguments to be made that the cap should be lowered as well as the game is not a difficult one

The extra experience ceiling wouldn't affect any of that, because the ceiling already cannot be reached unless the player self-consciously grinds to reach it.

I agree that some kind of feature implementation to increase difficulty is needed, but that's a separate issue, and I don't think a lowered EXP ceiling would be the best way to implement it. YMMV.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited March 2013
    If you install ToB, does that raise the BG2 cap to 8 Million as well or are you still at 2.95M? It's been so long I've forgotten.
    It does in standard BGT installations; not sure about the unmodded game, but I assume it's the same.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    It's from another game, but it makes a compelling argument pro mods nevertheless:

Is that Morrowind? I tried playing it unmodded once, and it was hell. I've been thinking of trying again with a more modern installation sometime.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think the fact that you cannot reach 9th level spell as a fighter/mage/thief is just fitting. There is no way that character who's developing in three different areas should be as capable in any of those as an single-class character.
    Why F/M/T should be as good in combat as pure fighter, if he/she spends less time on practicing?*
    Why F/M/T should be as good in thievery as pure rouge, while also focusing on magic and combat?
    Why F/M/T should be as powerful as pure mage, who's spending his time on studing magic, rather dividing this time to three different areas?

There is no real reason why F/M/T should do the above.

*Technically, he can't have the grand mastery, but it is not a huge handicap.
    @ZelgadisGW - In any normal playthrough, a F/M/T will not approach the skill-level of those pure classes. The increase in the ceiling only affects anything if the player self-consciously grinds.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Would it be possible to have the option to raise the XP cap? A slider or check box maybe, at the start of the game. If so, everyone can perhaps be satisfied.
  • LarlochLarloch Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2013
    No.

1. I don't like making changes to one of the best games of all time "just because".

2. I don't want FMT's running around in my multiplayer games doing everything making me stoop down to a house rule just to fix it because one guy wants to play a certain way. You want to do that you create the house rule. 8+mil is easy to get in a 2-3 man game.

A slider sounds sweet as long as Core Rules forces it to 8mil.

BG1EE would be better fit for an xp cap increase. In fact it would fix a lot of class balance issues as the game currently stands.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    With BGEE I was clearly against removing the XP cap, thought I would have been OK with a little raise in it (I have been saying 300K, so every class could get at least 1 more lvl). With BG2, I'm again absolutely against removing the cap. If you really want it, I'm sure you could get a mod in a heartbeat.
    Raising the cap... Well single class characters already get everything they could've ever wanted, with the exeption of sorcerers, everyone max out their spells, get tons of HLA abilities, basically enough for every fight for a day. And multis... I think we can agree on it that they are strong enough the way they are. They hit their THAC0 cap, have more hp (from CON bonuses). And if you are missing some spell casting slots, honestly, that's what wands and scrolls are for.
    But I'm not necessarily against it either. I usually play with full party, so it wouldn't really make a difference for me, and it's not like characters with 8million xp are not powerful already. So I might be ok with a lillte raise if that would make others happy.
    But removing the cap would allow a solo player to reach 48 millionish xp (right?) which would be lvl 120+. I mean the gods themselves don't have that high levels :D
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    have to say that i totally agree with @Aosaw in this matter in every point he raised. I play BG EE now and at the end of the saga i'm getting the same feeling i always got when i was finishing ToB on the old BG/BG2. Tons of gold without a proper use, hit the cap, tons of potions/scrolls/wands without proper situations to use them all, my party fully equiped, making me lazy to do some quests in reason of the ordinary rewards those would provide.

The removal of XP cap is a first step to make the game more fun at it's end.
  • LarlochLarloch Member Posts: 11
    If full p&p progression is in I might be alright with it.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Aosaw said:

If it turns out that you're too powerful for any of the challenges in the game because you've gained too many levels, then that means one of two things: A) there's too much XP in the game to begin with; or B) the game's challenges themselves aren't challenging enough.

I disagree with this. An XP cap can enable pplayers to choose whether they complete sidequests or not. If you balance the XP and challenges such that players need to maximise their xp in order to get past the challenges, then essentially you are forcing them to complete all of the sidequests.

An XP cap can help to balance this out - those who want to complete all of the sidequests can do so while still gaining extra gold and items. Those who don't want to complete all the sidequests can still progress through the main plot.