Skip to content

Duelling Dynaheir

Howdy.
In all these years I've played Baldurs Gate, never once had I looked at the possibility of duelling Dynaheir into a cleric. I tend to play with the canon party at the end of the game for continuity sake, however that only ever leaves Jaheira with priest magic which to be honest, it's pretty lame. The only other choice I had was to play a Cleric myself, but not keen on them unless it's a Cleric/Mage.
Has anyone played with a duelled Dynaheir, and what sorts of groups and charname class? Duelling her means she only really gets access to level 3 mage spells. Imoen will cover level 4. But it does mean that theres a Cleric for that useful Protection From Evil Radius 10 and Defensive Harmony spells.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited March 2013
    I do and can say: It's annoying.

I'm used to dualed Xzar as cleric, who needs 1 tome and gets it easily around the time he's dualed (level 6 is ideal for mage to cleric), then regains his levels during Cloakwood.

Dynaheir needs 2 tomes, so you can't dual her before access to the city. That means you either have to park her to keep her level 6, or you won't get the best result (dualing her from anything above mage 6 costs cleric levels - assuming you have another arcane caster, it's not worth it). You have the downtime in late game, which is the biggest downside in my opinion. I parked her outside the city when she was level 6 and returned to her when I got the tome to immediately dual her.

I would probably rather take Branwen or Yeslick instead of her. If you have the patience and will to plan carefully, she makes a fine cleric though. I'd leave the basilisk map and, unless you need Safana, the two Lighthouse maps untouched and get her XP back there. If you collect 1000 XP here and there in Baldur's Gate, it takes ages; and she'll be dead weight in the better paying quests. I went basilisk hunting with some of my other party members parked on the temple map.

Edit, forgot: What party? Oh boy, don't ask. It's weird, I just started the run to dual her and see how she compares to my fave cleric ever, Xzar. My charname is assassin 5/dualed to fighter (traps and stealth), Garrick as archer, Eldoth as frontliner, Edwin (all with some knock spells and invisbility - we do a lot sneaking), Dorn (just to get the Elven Chain from his quest, initially, but then I decided to keep him instead of getting Kagain). I guess it's not making much sense. I'd guess the good/neutral counterparts to dualed-Xzar party are more helpful... Kagain, Dorn, Montaron, Xzar, Edwin, - charname either jester or assassin; and often, I skip Kagain and take Viconia until I get Xzar dualed. If you have Jaheira to cover healing and Imoen to cover casting, the downtime on Dynaheir will be way easier on you and not require temporary NPC changes.