Skip to content

Do you prefer playing as a male or female character?

124»

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @beerflavour I've done it, I don't see the problem with Anomen, love is blind!
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117

@beerflavour I've done it, I don't see the problem with Anomen, love is blind!

Quite true. Love is blind. But still I don't like Anomen's personality.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I like playing the female characters, usually they have the better voice acting in my experience and honestly I don't want to watch some dude running around the screen. Though being the perv I am I like to romance the other female characters....after all I control the female avatar that is my character but Im still a hetero guy so...female character romancing a female npc. Hmm you could say Im a Lesbian trapped in a mans body ;)
    @immagikman Like Eddie Izzard?
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    lol No I don't do the dress up, I just love da wimmins and like to have my avatars in game be women.
  • sknskn Member Posts: 8
    I can't relate to any other gender then males, and so I play a male(I'm a male obviously). It also means that I think of the character as me in that world, and so I'm always locked on chaotic netural.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292

I would definitely play as a female if it has Jennifer Hale's voice.

You travel with Dynaheir in BG1 and Mazzy in BG2?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Male so that I can get in Viconia's panties.

That is literally the only reason
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    I dunno it's weird when given the choice I almost exclusively play males, but there are tonnes of great games with female protagonists that I absolutely love, Tomb Raider, Metroid, Gravity Rush & Longest Journey to name but a few.

I've never played a female in BG, and I think in party based RPGs when you can comprise your squad as a mixture of males and females it seems less crucial, although I do intend to do a Mass Effect playthrough with a femshep, and my primary character in Diablo III was a female wizard, so I dunno maybe I'm starting to branch out.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It depends. Generally, I play once or two as male, next once or two as female... But I often playing as a mage, and I greately prefer playing female as a mage, due to in-game avatar (and BG1 paperdoll). It is just more enjoyable to watch.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Moomintroll My problem with him is that initial romance conversation where you tell him about your actions in BG1 and his reaction is "You couldn't have done all that- you're just a woman!" In real life, I would have hauled off and socked him into next week for that line. And when you continue the romance by telling him, "Well, I wasn't alone, I had the help of my companions." his response is something like, "Well, then, I guess it's possible..." At that utterance, I literally said to myself, "Why is the only romance available for women this jerk?"
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes and Bastila in Kotor 1.
    Jolanthus said:

I would definitely play as a female if it has Jennifer Hale's voice.

You travel with Dynaheir in BG1 and Mazzy in BG2?
    @LadyRhian Haha ok, that didn't stick with me. I guess I enjoyed his caricature from a slightly more distanced perspective; spotty teenager that I was while wooing the female delicacies of Baldur's gate, I created a female character because I didn't want to miss out on the content, yes.. that's what I'll tell them..
    @Moomintroll You only get that conversation when the game tries to start the romance with him. But that is pretty much why he got so much loathing. He also spends a lot of time telling you off after asking your opinion on something. It's like "What's your opinion on X?" and no matter what you say, "That's a stupid answer! You should never think that about X!" Dude, STFU. You're the one who asked. If you don't like the answers, stop asking!
    @LadyRhian I don't remember any of this! I can see why that might inspire people to leave him on the hellish plane outside the planar sphere, or permanently petrified. Some feverish re-playing will be done when I get my (PC) monitor back.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2012
    The last straw for me about Anomen was a long time ago, he had just been given the knight title by the order, and he was having a small chat with Keldorn after the night rest. After the dumbass dialogues my female npc had to go through with him, this happens.

I can't remember the actual dialogues, but it was something along the lines of :

Anomen : Good day sir Keldorn, lovely day today.

Keldorn : Indeed sir Anomen, a fine day.

Anome : Yes sir Keldorn, what a fiine day indeed.

Me : Shut up! Shut uuuuup!!

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    @Mornmagor but was it really a nice day? ;)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Razor said:

@Mornmagor but was it really a nice day? ;)

A fine day, sir Razor! :P

@ about it :]

@Mornmagor And then, it began to rain. Love that Baldur's Gate weather!
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I always play as a male. I just don't feel right playing as a gender that I am not as it makes me feel like one of those 40-year-old men on chat websites.

• JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't see my character's gender as any sort of perversion on my part.

This may have something to do with me being a live mannequin for my mum's dress making sometimes.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,422
    (I'm a guy)

For CRPGs: Female, unless the gender choice has an actual impact on the game, then I base it on the impact. I'm simply playing a game, and while they try to represent an RPG, they are still a game. I prefer to look at female characters over male characters, and listen to female voices over male voices, so picking a female character just makes the time spend on the game slightly more enjoyable.

For Tabletop RPGs: Male, usually. Here I actually try to identify myself with my character, and have to pick his actions. There also is nothing to look at or listen to, so the CRPG benefits of picking a female are moot.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I've ALWAYS played female character in BG1 and 2. I'm male, and mostly it was for the romances. I played Anomen once, he's very coddled... Kelsey was a much better romance, he was more confident (even though he doubted himself sometimes) I would have really enjoyed a romance with Hear'Dalis, and LOVE a romance with Valygar.

The game came out over 10 years ago though. Female gamers weren't really what the devs were looking at because they were so few. That's my two cents anyways.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    I always play as a female i find it stance to play as a male. I quite liked the Anomen romance more so after it gets established properly and he's not so pompous. It could have been much better and another choice would have been nice.

But as @xavioria said above female gamers were not that common so i can see why they would not waste resources on something like that