Skip to content

The Restrictions of the HLA Menu.

There is a problem with the way the HLA's .2da works. The column of Alignment_Restrict seems to do nothing in actually restricting the abilities. For example in BG2 the Deva summons aren't restricted by the character's alignment, although the .2da says it should (I've tested it a bit and I can't get around this).

But this thread isn't about a bug fix but rather about expanding the kind of restrictions you can place on a HLA.

The opcode #177 allows restrictions based on not just the align.ids file but also on gender, race, etc... So it would be really useful if the HLA menu could have not just alignment restrictions but gender and race restrictions too. Not only that but to be able to place multiple restrictions instead of just one value.

So maybe the .2da file could be extended to allow for up to three values (therefore three columns for each .ids file). Or maybe there could be a series of columns that allow for binary responses, with the columns titled "Lawful", "Chaotic", "Good", "Evil", "GENeutral", "LC"Neutral", "Male", Female", "Human", "Half-Elf", "Elf", "Gnome", "Dwarf", "Halfling", "Half-Orc", etc...

This is a fairly niche feature request but it would allow modders to do some really interesting work in regards to classes. The HLA Menu or just the Abilities menu could be utilised for low level abilities too. So a modder could create a class that varies between gender, race or alignment when it comes to their abilities. Hopefully this could be done for BG2:EE and then retroactively added to BG:EE.

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Mordeus said:

For example in BG2 the Deva summons aren't restricted by the character's alignment, although the .2da says it should (I've tested it a bit and I can't get around this).

Deva and Planetar summons are properly restricted by alignment in my game. Good characters can only pick Deva/Planetar, evil characters can only pick Fallen Deva/Dark Planetar, and neutral can choose. I am playing with the fixpack installed, maybe that's why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Ah I must have had a faulty installation. Just reinstalled BG2 and it works properly. Anyways... it would be nice to have Racial and Gender restrictions, with a more nuanced Alignment restriction criteria for HLAs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.