Skip to content

Oh the heck with it!

I decided that Im just going to go with my usual setup. It always usually works somewhat.

Im going to play a regular swashybuckler or regular thief due to the extra thief skills. I will master in locks, disarm and most importantly set traps. Set traps will be very nice in the last battle and I will make sure to set at least 3-4 before Sarevok bum rushes towards me. With him weakened, I will let Kivan (tank) with the weapons and the works to distract sarevok while I pelt him with my crossbow of speed.

I did this in bg 2 only I used melee. This will be the first time I complete bg1 with somewhat of a party.

Anyone else use these tactics?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    DKnight said:

I decided that Im just going to go with my usual setup. It always usually works somewhat.

Im going to play a regular swashybuckler or regular thief due to the extra thief skills. I will master in locks, disarm and most importantly set traps. Set traps will be very nice in the last battle and I will make sure to set at least 3-4 before Sarevok bum rushes towards me. With him weakened, I will let Kivan (tank) with the weapons and the works to distract sarevok while I pelt him with my crossbow of speed.

I did this in bg 2 only I used melee. This will be the first time I complete bg1 with somewhat of a party.

Sounds good to me. I like ftr-thieves and their variants so this sounds sound to me
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Regular Swashbuckler or vanilla Thief? You should just kite Sarevok while Kivan pelts him with Arrows instead of having a Rogue do it.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Im using an elfish regular thief that gets a bonus to hit with ranged weapons. I will be using the crossbow of speed which gives 2 attacks per round. The reason I am using Kivan as a tank is because he has more hp, can wear splint mail and still has reasonably good dexterity-allowing him to survive melee more than me. I needed a naturally good tank and since I thought ajantis was terrible, it sounded like a good idea.

My character is going to get all the bonuses he can to get to 21 dexterity +gauntlets that give 2+ damage and to hit from warrior who has them early in game.

The only reason I wanted a thief was for roleplaying reasons. Next game I will mostlikely use a swashbuckler or something else that is more powerful. This is strictly roleplaying but I do think it will be somewhat deadly. Cant beat traps ;)
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Wait! What's wrong with Ajantis?
    edited March 2013
    I never could get into him. Like many paladins, he has a weak dexterity and seems dull. Mostly I prefer rangers and will only use a paladin if he's really cool to have in the party. Of course that is just my opinion and most paladins are actually cool are usually the ones that I or anyone else here will make. You get to make them with actually decent stats.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I give him the bracers of dex. I like him more than Kivan mostly because Kivan uses halberds, and I don't like them. I think it very much depends on your party makeup though which fits better.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd take Yeslick, Kagain, Ajantis or Khalid as main tank. Kivan (et al) don't have bonus HP from a decent con though I guess it doesn't matter if you play on normal/reload to max HP.

Yeslick, Kagain and Khalid all need the gauntlets of dexterity to give them decent AC but luckily these can be found early on.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Or take Dorn. 19 strength, 16 dex.
    Granted, his con is only 14 but then again so is Kivans...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    DKnight said:

Won't you need two thieves to set more then 2 traps in BGEE, unless you rest and then set additional traps?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

DKnight said:

Won't you need two thieves to set more then 2 traps in BGEE, unless you rest and then set additional traps?
    He will probably rest to do so. Also unless they changed something in BG:EE the traps are disgustingly powerful in BG1. I doubt you'll need many traps to put Sarevok down, even with the damage of the trap scaling with your level, once you're level 10 you should easily bring him down with traps.

The traps allow you to rest and get more of them and can set from 3-4 of them in one spot. The damage is 2d8+5 per trap so Sarevok will be dealt a good amount of damage. The rest of the damage coming from a good bow arm will be a good amount to deal a lethal blow to him.

I used to use traps for many of my major fights in bg2. I was annoyed when throne of bhaal made them useless when it came to dragons. That was one of the many reasons I won't finish throne of bhaal.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Unless they've changed it in EE, you can't rest during the final battle once you enter the Temple.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    You get 2 traps/day at level 6 as a thief I'm fairly certain. I only got to about 50% set traps on my thieves but as I always have 2 it gives me a decent chance at up to 4 traps per rest.

7 traps (the max) is enough to take down Drizzt without a fight which is the easiest way to get his armour I think (poor Drizzt).
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Wowo said:

I'd take Yeslick, Kagain, Ajantis or Khalid as main tank. Kivan (et al) don't have bonus HP from a decent con though I guess it doesn't matter if you play on normal/reload to max HP.

Yeslick, Kagain and Khalid all need the gauntlets of dexterity to give them decent AC but luckily these can be found early on.

Book of dexterity for Khalid is also nice for gaining another AC point.

18/00 17 17 is very nice for a tank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oxford_Guy
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Unless they've changed it in EE, you can't rest during the final battle once you enter the Temple.

You can leave the Temple, rest and reenter if you want to cheese.
    SionIV said:

DKnight said:

He will probably rest to do so. Also unless they changed something in BG:EE the traps are disgustingly powerful in BG1. I doubt you'll need many traps to put Sarevok down, even with the damage of the trap scaling with your level, once you're level 10 you should easily bring him down with traps.

Traps are good but not *that* powerful in BGEE (Deals 2d8+5 damage ignores magic resistance) unless you rest exploit them, and even then 7 is the max you can have, here's the progression guide from C.Lee's excellent Thief guide for SoA:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/470765-baldurs-gate-ii-throne-of-bhaal/faqs/27550

5a. Normal Traps [510]

First thing to know: you gain the ability to set a Trap once per
    day per every five levels. So, one use at level 1, two uses at level
    6, and so on. You'd think such a simple thing like this Bioware would
    actually tell you.
    Second thing to know: every time you get an increased use of a trap,
    the trap also becomes more powerful. So, without further ado...

Level 1 Trap: Doesn't exist, since you start off higher than level 6. [it does exist in BGEE, but am unsure of the exact mechanics - Oxford_Guy]
    Level 6 Trap: Deals 2d8+5 damage to any enemies within the area
    of effect of the Trap when it goes off. This is non-magical damage
    so Magic Resistence can't stop it (as is the same for all initial
    damage of later Traps). [Max level in BGEE - Oxford_Guy]
    Level 11 Trap: Deals 2d8+5 damage to any enemies within the area
    of effect of the Trap when it goes off. In addition, for the next
    three rounds, it deals 2d6 poison damage per round (hence
    resistence or vulnerability to poison also affects the damage).
    In addition, this extra damage also disrupts spell casting (like
    Melf's Acid Arrow).
    Level 16 Trap: Deals 3d8+5 damage plus 4d8+2 fire damage to any
    enemies within the area of effect of the Trap when it goes off.
    Like poison, any vulnerability or resistence to fire also effects
    the extra damage.
    Level 21 Trap: Deals 3d8+5 damage plus 20 poison damage to any
    enemies within the area of effect of the Trap when it goes off.
    Plus, enemies must Save vs Death with a +4 bonus or die instantly.
    Again, the poison damage can be reduced or increased according to
    resistence/vulnerability.
    smeagolheart
    Bhaaldog said:

Delvarian said:

Wait! What's wrong with Ajantis?

Nothing...
    Agreed, if playing good, he's great, as long as you give him the Dex gloves