Skip to content

Protection from Hold (ToSC spoiler)

mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
I am about to face Aec'Letec and I am now on my way to buy potions of mirrored eyes. However it is the Hold spell that worries me. Anyone knows how to protect the group from it?
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Greenstone amulet, potions of mind focusing, rage, chaotic commands (level 9 druids can cast it), bonuses to save vs spell (from shorty saves, prot evil or any number of items), rage ability ...
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Potion of Mind Focusing it is then, thank you for your help.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The mirrored eyes potion protect from his stun, i don't remember him to have any hold spells. You can get 2 ring of free action in the game, and the Two handed sword spiders bane (Cloakwood) also protects you from hold. The level 4 mage spell free action does aswell. Chaotic command doesn't protect against hold sadly.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    SionIV said:

The mirrored eyes potion protect from his stun, i don't remember him to have any hold spells. You can get 2 ring of free action in the game, and the Two handed sword spiders bane (Cloakwood) also protects you from hold. The level 4 mage spell free action does aswell. Chaotic command doesn't protect against hold sadly.

What he said.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    one potion: potion of magic blocking. leave the rest of the party behind, you won't need them
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    mjs said:

one potion: potion of magic blocking. leave the rest of the party behind, you won't need them

Just want to say that potion of mirroring does the same in this situation, and is alot easier to get hold of. But if he has a potion of magic blocking, it works just as well.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2013
    Is it the cult priestess right at the foot of the stairs who casts Hold? I recall that you have to take her out quick, because if not she'll cause a bit of trouble for your party.

Edit: @mement0, I edited your topic title to include a spoiler alert.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Don't take her out too quickly though. If taken out before her dialogue the demon doesn't get summoned, and you can't finish the quest.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Thank you all. Good answers. I will try your suggestions soon.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @SionIV, @Lemernis: I can't remember whether this was different in original BG1+TotSC, but in BGee Aec'Letec can Hold characters. It's slightly odd: you can see him cast something, although the dialogue window doesn't mention that he has cast anything (as it would with a normal casting), but the effect is Hold if you fail your save. (This happened to me a couple of days ago.)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Delvarian said:

Don't take her out too quickly though. If taken out before her dialogue the demon doesn't get summoned, and you can't finish the quest.

Yes, I reported that as a bug a few weeks ago.