Skip to content

Starting Character Help

I have barely played Baldurs Gate before, and am looking forward to doing so. I have just downloaded it but am struggling with the character creation. I am leaning towards a Ranger or Druid (shape shifting sounds awesome) or maybe some kind of mage, but am a bit stumped when it comes to choosing kits. I know it is better to choose one than not to, because of the bonuses. Please could someone tell me which is the best class and race for a beginner, as well as the best kits? It would help me out a ton.

Comments

• texasmatttexasmatt Member Posts: 35
    I would say do a fighter or a paladin for a first play through till you learn the game that work your way into playing a mage
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I think a fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric multi would compliment your group (in the other thread) well. They play very similarly in that you will probably buff your character up (and give a little support to your allies) and wade into combat. They are good for a new player in that they aren't high maintenance but give you more to play around with than a plain ranger or fighter. The R/C will have a better spell selection (they get druid spells) while the F/C allows you to pick dwarf or gnome as your race which have improved saving throws based on constitution making them more hardy.
  • SirHablesSirHables Member Posts: 10
    @texasmatt @ryuken87 Thanks for the help :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Cavalier is a good pick for a beginner (it's a Paladin kit with decent immunities)
    atcDave