Skip to content

Icewind Dale 1/2 Remake?

ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
This is looking into the distant future, but...is there any chance that ya'll will be taking on an enhanced edition of the Icewind Dale games after you're finished working on BG? I could see some really beautiful things being done with them, especially with IWD 2's use of 3rd edition rules.
Post edited by Coriander on
TheGrapeTyphlosion

Comments

• SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2012
    I recall a Trent Oster tweet saying they would "like" to revisit all the infinity engine games, including PS:Torment but that they depended on the success of BGEE. If it flops (oh please god don't let it happen) then don't expect to see any more but if it's a runaway success, I'm sure we can expect to see more, though BG3 might happen first if that were the case.

*Insert more rampant speculation here*
    Arkin
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Also, as far as I know, the crew would use the same resources they have with Throne of Bhaal to develop Icewind Dale, possibly meaning kits in IWD too. The second one is trickier since it's 3rd Edition of course.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Arkin said:

I could see some really beautiful things being done with them, especially with IWD 2's use of 3rd edition rules.

I'd be curious to know what you think an enhanced edition of IWD2 could bring. Personally, I think the Icewind Dale games are both quite straightforward and well polished, and as such wouldn't deserve the attention of Beamdog. I'd much rather see the team give us a brand new adventure in the frozen north, an Icewind Dale 3, using their hypothetical future BG3 engine.

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    @Zeckul
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1220/icewind-daleee-your-thoughts#latest

You might want to take a look at this thread as it disscused the same issue with some official comments :-)
    Arkin
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    Zeckul said:

Arkin said:

I could see some really beautiful things being done with them, especially with IWD 2's use of 3rd edition rules.

I'd be curious to know what you think an enhanced edition of IWD2 could bring. Personally, I think the Icewind Dale games are both quite straightforward and well polished, and as such wouldn't deserve the attention of Beamdog. I'd much rather see the team give us a brand new adventure in the frozen north, an Icewind Dale 3, using their hypothetical future BG3 engine.

Mostly, the obvious things: class kits, more spells, and duel-wielding in IWD1, more content in 1 and 2. Then again, "more content" can pretty easily mean "sequel," which I'm certainly not opposed to.
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Arkin said:

Zeckul said:

Arkin said:

Mostly, the obvious things: class kits, more spells, and duel-wielding in IWD1, more content in 1 and 2. Then again, "more content" can pretty easily mean "sequel," which I'm certainly not opposed to.
    There is one more thing you should not forget: Compatibility with modern computers. A remake would likely be more usable on future generation computers than the original, and of course: iPad! I'll buy all the Enhanced Editions on all the available platforms anyway (so far 2: PC, iPad) and having BG, IWD and even PST on one and the same iPad would really make me a very happy gamer ;D
    ArkinTheGrapeTyphlosion