Skip to content

Shadowdancer/Cleric could use some help

mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
As title says I am flirting with the idea of a Shadowdancer/Cleric dual class.

I need any kind of advice. Like when to switch, what kind of stats, what should I definitely avoid and basically anything that comes to your mind.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EudaemoniumSCARY_WIZARDsecretmantralunar
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I wouldn't bother until they fix Shadowdancer. As it stands, Shadow Step doesn't work 100% yet, and the Backstab is bugged.

If anything, do like I am and get your Shadowdancer ready at least in terms of level you want to dual at, then park it and play a different saved game.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    mement0 said:

As title says I am flirting with the idea of a Shadowdancer/Cleric dual class.

I need any kind of advice. Like when to switch, what kind of stats, what should I definitely avoid and basically anything that comes to your mind.

I'd take @Copastetic1985's advice and wait.

If you want to go for it anyway, the stats you'll need are high:
    - Dex 15 (like any other dual from Thief)
    - Str 15 (as though you were a Fighter)
    - Cha 15 (you must be this pretty to hide in shadows)
    - Wis 17 (like any other dual into Cleric)
    ryuken87
    I thought you just needed Wisdom at 17 to dual to Cleric? I know with Druid it's 17 Charisma and 17 Wisdom.

Also, @mement0 what are you planning to do with this? Other than the obvious benefits of Hide in Plain Sight, and a really crappy Sanctuary ( Shadow Step ), I'm not really seeing the synergy.

Just my two cents.

I thought you just needed Wisdom at 17 to dual to Cleric? I know with Druid it's 17 Charisma and 17 Wisdom.

Dex, Str and Cha all at 15 are required for leaving Shadowdancer.
    lunar
    That's lammmme.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Thank you mates for the fast replies.
    The plan is not to create a killing machine, I just like the idea of a cleric/rogue.
    Having recently finished the game with a monk, I am looking for something less stiff gameplaywise and more on the "utility" side. I did have fun with the monk, as I played him mostly as a scout taking full advantage of his Hide in Shadows, but now I am looking for a character that can buff, scout and detect traps (with a spell). The plan is to import him in BG2 :EE when the time comes.

I think I can wait until the bugs are fixed. After all there are a few more classes I mean to try.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Bhaaldog said:

mement0 said:

basically anything that comes to your mind.

To dual class... Like This?
    To repeat the same jokes... Like This?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

Luigirules[Deleted User]
    mement0 said:

Thank you mates for the fast replies.
    The plan is not to create a killing machine, I just like the idea of a cleric/rogue.

Try a Half-Orc Cleric/Thief multi.

That'll give you a decent idea of how the SD>Cleric would play, and with a 19 Str it'll be all kinds of melee badassery even when you're not stealthy.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I hadn't realised those dual-class requirements, those are harsh. Even with the bugs the kit played fine for me, I had no need to use Shadowstep. Early on the kit is a bit weak but it becomes very strong once your stealth is consistent.

If you still want to do SD->C then the only choice you really have is whether to dual at 6 or 7. SD's have a pitiful number of points as it is and your 18 (later 19) dex human doesn't have any racial thieving bonuses or the best dex bonuses. You need to put all of your thief points into stealth for it to be effective.

You have such a limited weapon choice that staffs are a given (a solid backstab choice anyway) although clubs might be decent with the new ones, I haven't tried them out.
    ryuken87 said:

I hadn't realised those dual-class requirements, those are harsh. Even with the bugs the kit played fine for me, I had no need to use Shadowstep. Early on the kit is a bit weak but it becomes very strong once your stealth is consistent.

If you still want to do SD->C then the only choice you really have is whether to dual at 6 or 7. SD's have a pitiful number of points as it is and your 18 (later 19) dex human doesn't have any racial thieving bonuses or the best dex bonuses. You need to put all of your thief points into stealth for it to be effective.

You have such a limited weapon choice that staffs are a given (a solid backstab choice anyway) although clubs might be decent with the new ones, I haven't tried them out.

Well, the good thing about this is that once he gets his SD abilities and his HiS/HiPS back at level 8 Cleric ( assuming he/she duals at 7 SD ) is that he can do a backstab with the Stupifier which should be pretty good as long as he prebuffed prior to going in to do so.

The damage might not be the best with a x2 multiplier, but the target will be stunned for a few rounds which is enough to pretty much kill anything in the game. This also opens up the use of an actual shield as well. So another small perk.

But yeah, while you're climbing your levels for SD, I'd go with Quarterstaves, Clubs, Sword and Shield and I guess Slings. Just remember what you take, that way you don't waste a point later when you've dualed.

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013

Well, the good thing about this is that once he gets his SD abilities and his HiS/HiPS back at level 8 Cleric ( assuming he/she duals at 7 SD ) is that he can do a backstab with the Stupifier which should be pretty good as long as he prebuffed prior to going in to do so.

You can only backstab with weapons that a vanilla thief can use. So in the case of a thief/cleric your only options are quarterstaves and clubs.

Now that I think about it, it may also be possible to backstab with some of the magical summoned weapons, like Spiritual Hammer.
    JuliusBorisov
    a;slkdfjas;dfjjja;lksdfjasdf

See, that's the reason I didn't dual to a Cleric. I should have remembered that.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I concluded a while ago that dualing a shadowdancer should only be done in BG2. Once the kit is fixed if you dual in BG1 you'll only have x2 backstab which is too lame to be worthwhile.

If you like the idea of a cleric/thief I'd look at something like:

gnome cleric/thief --> half-orc is lame as gnome gets 19 strength anyway from DUHM and the saves rock.

human cleric kit (6)/thief (9) --> this gets a second use/day of the lesser special kit ability and x4 backstabs. I did this with a helm cleric and it's excellent for a utility character that has good backstabs, competent thief skills, cures and True Seeing (which is pretty crucial when playing SCS). While Lathander Cleric looks like the best kit be aware that Boon only lasts 6 seconds/level while the other 2 kits special last 60 seconds.

human swashbuckler (6-7)/cleric (8) --> swashbuckler has full thief points making it easier to max useful skills, no need for stealth skills and no need to stay with thief only weapons (dual wield stupifier/ashideena). At 7 you'd have 190 points to distribute giving:
    OL: 25 base+10 DUHM+5 tome+20 points+60 pot=100,
    Find Traps: 10 base+10 DUHM+5 tome+20 pot+45 points=100,
    Set Traps: 5 base+10 DUHM+5 tome+40 points=60
    Giving all bases covered (using single perception or master thievery pots like this has worked for me in the past really nicely) and 85 spare points letting you max out something else (pick pockets, detect illusion) or top up the base abilities if you don't like pots or dual a level or 2 earlier.

For the first 2 builds I'd use my usual approach for points which is to put level 1 points into Set Traps, then max out find traps, have a second thief (preferably Coran) handle locks and put the rest in move silently. Then you can cast Find Traps spell and go stealth around a level chunking things with staff of striking (or just the +3 one from Ulgoths Beard) and disabling the traps as you go.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    edited April 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Tome said:

Bhaaldog said:

mement0 said:

basically anything that comes to your mind.

To dual class... Like This?
    To repeat the same jokes... Like This?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

Due to contactual obligations I am unable to provide additional dialogue options!
    Well played, @Bhaaldog, well played. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts.
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium