Skip to content

Debug Mode not working?

So, I looked up on google how to access Debug Mode. I type in the 'Program Options','Debug Mode','1' into my .INI file, in C:\Users\DemonDragon\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition I go into the game, I hit CTRL+Space, and all it does is pause the game. So, I Alt+Tab out, look at the .INI file and the part I pasted in, has deleted itself from the file. Yes, I did save before closing it.

Am I doing something wrong? I bought it off of steam, instead of the actual website, does that make a difference?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    I had a similar problem with the .ini reverting to it's default state everytime I ran the game. What you need to do is make the changes in the .ini, save it, and then, before starting the game, change the .ini to read-only.

Unfortunately this will prevent any changes you make in-game from being saved. For example, after making the .ini read-only, if you change the difficulty in-game, it will only stay that way during that session; the next time you start up the game the difficulty will be back at whatever it was before.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there's another possibility as to what's causing this. You should try making the changes, saving them, close the .ini, and then re-open (without having run the game) it to confirm that the changes are still there. If they aren't, then there may be an issue with permission/administrative rights.
  • LorecDronsoLorecDronso Member Posts: 3
    That shouldn't be a problem. I don't change settings normally. :) I just wanna play with the debug mode. Do you by any chance know all of them? The only ones I've found by googling were -

CLUAConsole:ExploreArea()
    CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP(#) - Assigns experience points (# is the amount of experience)
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("xxxx",#) - Create item (xxxx is the filename and # is stacksize)

I'm pretty sure there are more then just those, but, I don't know them. >.> I've never played this before, and I know diddly about PC games, I'm about as n00b as it gets.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    There are a bunch of commands listed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-manually-customize-your-game/p1

Also, I don't think any of the console commands have changed from the original game, so you can also try googling "Baldur's Gate cheats" or something like that.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Actually, I've seen this problem if you edit the ini file while the game is running - the game only reads the ini on startup, and writes it out fresh when you quit. Just make sure the game is closed before you make any changes.
  • LorecDronsoLorecDronso Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much TJ. :) I'll see what I can tinker with, and hopefully I won't be asking for anymore help if all goes well!
  • BrewhewhoBrewhewho Member Posts: 29
    can I use debug mode on the Steam version? how?
    The save game directory should still be in your Documents folder - Look in the BGEE directory in documents and you will find Baldur.ini.
  • SaraphinSaraphin Member Posts: 2
    honestly, I'm having this issue as well, I've double checked my .ini both before and after i enter/exit the game and the code is there...but CTRL+Space just pauses my game.
    Post your baldur.ini (or, just a few lines before and after the Debug Mode flag) and we'll have a look
  • SaraphinSaraphin Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Alright here it is:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',
    'Window', 'Maximized', '0',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Window', 'x', '199',
    'Window', 'y', '158',
    'Window', 'w', '1024',
    'Window', 'h', '768',

Also, I don't know what happened, but i closed it out for about an hour and now it works...so i don't know, maybe it was the Steam Version actually catching up with my edit.
  • TheAdamantiteTheAdamantite Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Not sure if you're on Windows 8 or not, or if this works with the Enhanced Edition, but when I did it with the old CD version, I had the exact same problem as Saraphin. My code would be there, but the program wouldn't acknowledge it. I found out later, that there is a "VirtualStore" directory in my AppData>Local directory that held a copy of baldur.ini among other things causing issues for me. You have to edit both. Hope this helps.