Skip to content

Should innate Bhaalspawn powers wild surge? *spoilers*

minutusminutus Member Posts: 16
edited April 2013 in Original BG2 Bugs
I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature, but I thought it's interesting to ponder. There was a mention about it in here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8755/wild-surge-mixups , and I'm unsure if this has already been taken into consideration, but while perhaps slightly weird in BG1, it can have dramatic concequences in BG2.

Arcane magic is banned in Athkatla unless you own a licence, which makes things interesting early on and pushes you to use alternative ways of handling encounters. Granted the price in vanilla isn't much and as such won't hinder the player for long, but as a new player to the game I know the "obvious path" isn't always as clear when you don't have enough knowledge at hand, which is of course part of the charm. Also using SCS component to raise that price (and extend locations Cowled Wizards watch over) has made life in the city for a mage satisfyingly complicated.

I guess it fits the picture even more so for a wild mage, but I do wonder if it's intended that the innate Bhaalspawn abilities can wild surge and thus cause breaking of the rule against arcane magic. While these abilities don't count as arcane spells normally (I guess another question is should they?), when they wild surge the result most likely will.

I guess I'm unsure what the lore would say about god powers connected to surging, if there is anything to be found on that topic? Unless I'm mistaken wild mage kit was added to the game in ToB expansion, and as such was perhaps not finetuned for everything in SoA.

EDIT: I do realize it's most likely not thought throughly, as it's already fairly unintuitive that you can cast arcane spells from wands etc. normally without breaking the rule. Also forgot to add that this behavior is with BG2 + fixpack (+SCS, but I don't think it touches the alarm triggers).
Post edited by minutus on